Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images

Converting a bag to a UQ?

I'm guessing this has been done before but can't really find anything through search How easy and effective would stringing up my old bag up as an UQ/peapod?

I don't really like sleeping on nylon so I'd be using it in conjunction with my down sleeping bag, and it'd be for autumn/spring more than winter. Last weekend I didn't sleep too good due to the windchill whipping across me as my pad didn't provide protection to my sides.

Worth giving it a go?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Give it a try. I think preventing air gaps from forming is going to be your greatest challenge. I've seen one guy tear apart a down bag and string it as a uq. He said he stayed warm with it but in my view it sure looked like a lot of gaps existed between the bag and hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Hex
    Insulation
    Mummified DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I've done this twice now. Take a look at

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=17039
    --Chocolatier (Master Chocolatier and Amateur Hammocker)

Dancing Lion Chocolate
    DancingLion.us
    Twitter: LoveOfChocolate

Las cosas claras y el chocolate espeso.
    Ideas should be clear and chocolate thick. ~Spanish Proverb

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    Claytor Tarp
    Insulation
    Snugpak 18
    why convert a bag ?......u can buy a snugpak softie 18 antartic for about $180 and they are good till -20 below (farenheit)....thats what i bought,the cool thing is that bag zips from the front and only weighs about 5lbs....I did this this because If i decide to be a ground dweller I'm good to go !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest X-Therm
    Suspension
    Mule Tape / Becket
    Images
    I've done it twice also, once on a rectangular bag and once on a mummy. The mummy bag was a bit easier. Both were synthetic bags. Here are a few steps.

- First step was to sew a seam a few inches away from the zipper, all the way down one side, around the foot and back up the other side.
    - Second step was to sew a second straight seam across the top, depending upon your height.
    - Once the seams are done, cut away the zipper and hooded part, and very little insulation should come out because of your previous sewn seam.
    - The raw edges were folded over and sewn again - they look a bit rough with a little insulation sticking out, but they're functional
    - The mummy bag already had a foot section while the rectangular bag required sewing one in.
    - I took the cut away hood of the mummy bag, finished those seams and made a warm sleeping hat that I'll bring along for winter trips.

I haven't tried it out yet due to the warm summer temperatures, but I think it will go down to reasonably cold temperatures. My hammock is a JRB Bridge with a pad sleeve, and it's fairly easy to tuck in the UQ on each side and have it stay in place while sleeping.

My main goal was not reduction of weight, though there's a bit of that. Mostly it was to avoid the wrestling match of trying to get into a mummy bag inside the hammock. I think it will work out fairly well.

Cheers,

Doug

Hammock
    DIY + whoopie SLR
    Tarp
    Golite poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Down UQ / Down bag
    Suspension
    Amsteel whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by timetraveler1701 View Post
    why convert a bag ?......u can buy a snugpak softie 18 antartic for about $180 and they are good till -20 below (farenheit)....thats what i bought,the cool thing is that bag zips from the front and only weighs about 5lbs....I did this this because If i decide to be a ground dweller I'm good to go !
    Why? Because I don't have 180$ to spend, the weather doesn't get that cold over here, and I'd like to know if I can put my old synthetic bag to good use now that I've upgraded to an alpkits bag.

Quote Originally Posted by doheir View Post
    I've done it twice also, once on a rectangular bag and once on a mummy. The mummy bag was a bit easier. Both were synthetic bags. Here are a few steps.

- First step was to sew a seam a few inches away from the zipper, all the way down one side, around the foot and back up the other side.
    - Second step was to sew a second straight seam across the top, depending upon your height.
    - Once the seams are done, cut away the zipper and hooded part, and very little insulation should come out because of your previous sewn seam.
    - The raw edges were folded over and sewn again - they look a bit rough with a little insulation sticking out, but they're functional
    - The mummy bag already had a foot section while the rectangular bag required sewing one in.
    - I took the cut away hood of the mummy bag, finished those seams and made a warm sleeping hat that I'll bring along for winter trips.

I haven't tried it out yet due to the warm summer temperatures, but I think it will go down to reasonably cold temperatures. My hammock is a JRB Bridge with a pad sleeve, and it's fairly easy to tuck in the UQ on each side and have it stay in place while sleeping.

My main goal was not reduction of weight, though there's a bit of that. Mostly it was to avoid the wrestling match of trying to get into a mummy bag inside the hammock. I think it will work out fairly well.

Cheers,

Doug
    and

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolatier View Post
    I've done this twice now. Take a look at

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=17039
    Very nice. Especially like that pic on the 2nd page Chocolatier

I think I'm going to try and rig my old syn bag up as a UQ without cutting it up first - probably using lotsa ducttape and paracord - this weekend just to see if it provides enough insulation. If it's workable I'll start thinking about cutting and sewing with the aim to produce a 3/4 or full length UQ.

Hammock
    BMBH, GT single para
    Tarp
    WB mamajamba
    Insulation
    walmart 40f bag UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie>togg>strap
    Images
    ive done it as well but not as glamorously
    I used a $10 walmart 30deg bag. i just ended up sewing loops of nylon cord along all 4 edges of bag. I then ran shock cord along long sides of bag with cor locks to keep "UQ" centered/adjustable. I then sewed cord to the corners and ran it along the short sides with cord locks to close air gaps. works well and has kept me toasty to high 30s
    ...in it for pics.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    survival tubes
    Images

$35 underquilt

Perhaps I can save you some time, effort, expense etc. etc. When I first started hammocking, I had the same idea: just turn an old sleeping bag into an underquilt. After considerable modifications, I finally had an underquilt. The only problem was that it was too heavy, too cumbersome, air pockets allowed cold air in, and it was a pain in the neck to use with a Hennessy.

I looked on the internet and found a solution that works for me: a survival bag that I've modified so that it makes an excellent UQ. Cost: about $35. Check out my gallery for some pictures. If you search cocoon or survival bag, you should find my earlier posts. Good luck.

(I later added a 2nd bag to go over me, thus creating a cocoon.)

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    @ bird of prey

Did you eventually cover the survival tube with silnylon? Is it still working out 2 years later? What would you do differently...?

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdofprey View Post
    I looked on the internet and found a solution that works for me: a survival bag that I've modified so that it makes an excellent UQ. Cost: about $35. Check out my gallery for some pictures. If you search cocoon or survival bag, you should find my earlier posts. Good luck.

(I later added a 2nd bag to go over me, thus creating a cocoon.)
    Do you mean something like:
    http://www.opentip.com/Sporting-Good...p-1737521.html
    ?????
    If it is, could you give me some steps or tips to make one my self? I'm quite interested now!
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast