HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Sure does... Cache-1640-Harness Friday night might even be reasonable starting at 4pm. That leaves a bunch of hops and 5 portages for over 2115 m total down to Louisa on Saturday and then maybe Louisa to Rock on Sunday... Another great idea!!

Choices, choices...

Any preferences guys? I'm good for all of the above. Rock-Louisa-Rock would be a fairly laid back trip. Ragged or Cache to Louisa are also cool. I was down Smoke all the way to Little Coon this spring, so a slightly different route would be cool. A thru-trip would be a gas, but we'd have to be sure we had enough time on Friday to make it work.

Many options for an approach to Louisa for a Saturday night gathering. Also, I'd personally opt to stay on one of the islands at the west end, although the sight BCaron suggested looked nice. I'm just partial to islands.
    Last edited by Chard; 09-14-2010 at 23:30.

My son and I are in. Long trip so we will likely drive up on Thursday to do some fishing on Friday before you all arrive. Haven't been up to alqonquin in years. Routes all sounds good to me.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    Sure does... Cache-1640-Harness Friday night might even be reasonable starting at 4pm. That leaves a bunch of hops and 5 portages for over 2115 m total down to Louisa on Saturday and then maybe Louisa to Rock on Sunday... Another great idea!!

Choices, choices...

Any preferences guys? I'm good for all of the above. Rock-Louisa-Rock would be a fairly laid back trip. Ragged or Cache to Louisa are also cool. I was down Smoke all the way to Little Coon this spring, so a slightly different route would be cool. A thru-trip would be a gas, but we'd have to be sure we had enough time on Friday to make it work.

Many options for an approach to Louisa for a Saturday night gathering. Also, I'd personally opt to stay on one of the islands at the west end, although the sight BCaron suggested looked nice. I'm just partial to islands.
    Cache - Louisa - Rock looks reasonable to me, if those who are getting there earlier can get the cars shuttled around ahead of time. I really don't want to start out with a mess in the dark Friday night. Not sure which direction is better to travel in. Fall is the best time for long portages, it's nice and cool and no bugs if you stop to rest!

I haven't checked out the distances too closely, but for a fairly relaxing trip I would normally would plan for 5k Friday, 15k Saturday, 10k Sunday, give or take a few k. I don't want to put all the decision-making burden on chardpp but anything remotely close to that is fine with me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Cool, thanks shawnh...

Cache-to-Harness, Harness-to-Louisa, Louis-to-Rock has two votes (just remember the second to last portage is tough, but short.)

We can meet up with Azul either Friday at the Cache Lake Access Point or Harness Lake campsite or on Saturday on one of the island sites on Louisa. My only request is that we try to camp on islands where possible.

I'll also definitely be bringing the group tarp this time!

Oh, check out bcaron's gallery.. Some really nice pictures there. Good job!!

Groovey

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Rock-Louisa portage is long, but a very nice trail. There are a few medium size hills, nothing too taxing. Avoid the Louisa-North Grace port...it's a pig (sounds like you're not going that way anyhow). I did catch my largest Speck ever in North Grace though (20" of wild brookie...ahh).

The laker fishing in Louisa is fantastic. They are on the small side, but very tasty. Even if you don't camp on that site, if no one is there be sure to drop a spoon off the point, the lakers sit right out front very close to the rock.

I'd vote for, Cache-to-Harness, Harness-to-Louisa, Louis-to-Rock. That way you'll likely get a tail wind paddling east down Louisa. It's usually a very windy lake.

Have a great trip and take lots of pics.

Blair
    Last edited by bcaron; 09-15-2010 at 18:06.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    The Rock-Louisa portage is long, but a very nice trail. There are a few medium size hills, nothing too taxing. Avoid the Louisa-North Grace port...it's a pig (sounds like you're not going that way anyhow). I did catch my largest Speck ever in North Grace though (20" of wild brookie...ahh).

The laker fishing in Louisa is fantastic. They are on the small side, but very tasty. Even if you don't camp on that site, if no one is there be sure to drop a spoon off the point, the lakers sit right out front very close to the rock.

I'd vote for, Cache-to-Harness, Harness-to-Louisa, Louis-to-Rock. That way you'll likely get a tail wind paddling east down Louisa. It's usually a very windy lake.

Have a great trip and take lots of pics.

Blair
    Bcaron, you sound like a guy itching for an overnighter on Louisa!! Nudge, nudge!!!

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    Bcaron, you sound like a guy itching for an overnighter on Louisa!! Nudge, nudge!!!

Yeah...I wish. Just finished 3 weeks holidays, 2 weeks were spent in my canoe/hammock. My wife thinks that's enough for now
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Woooo Buddy!!!!!

A week from now and we'll be setting up camp on Head Lake!!!!!

I mentioned Harness before, but I meant to say Head Lake!!! I'm thinking Harness is too far for Friday. Head lake, not Harness!!

Probably should get all the arrangements made for meeting up Friday afternoon. Meeting at either the Canoe Lake Park Office or at the Cache Lake docks makes most sense.+

Azul, do ya think you and your son will be able to make the Friday night Head Lake rendevous? If you're looking for us, I'll be paddling a 16' red prospector; not sure what colour Shawnh's is.

Oh Yeah!!!
    Last edited by Chard; 09-17-2010 at 19:40. Reason: Night 1: Head Lake NOT Harness!!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Have fun with your paddle/fishing/hanging trip there guys.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Thanks Brian...

Weather's looking "interesting", t-storms and all, but we have to keep testing our waterproofing and seam sealing, all in the unlikely event that it would rain during one of our "hangs".

I'll have a report for ya'll when we get back!!

Cheers

Chardpp

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast