Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I can leave anytime on the Friday and would prefer not to go by myself (I can drive or be a passenger).

Have we decided on a route?

Is this a go? Is there room for one more?

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hi Azul.

So far so good.

We're planning on being up in Algonquin around the afternoon of Friday September 24. The exact details haven't been worked out yet, but it
    looks like Rock Lake on Friday night and perhaps Lake Louisa on Saturday night. So far we have four confirmed with another possible.

Shawnh and friend: Confirmed for Sept 24 late afternoon
    Vgnbkr: Confirmed for Sept 24 - Carpool out of Toronto

Do you have any canoeing experience (and/or a canoe?) and do you mind a long portage?

Cheers,

Chardpp
    Last edited by Chard; 09-13-2010 at 14:57.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wish that I could make it, but just finished up all my holidays. Highly recommend the last site on the south side...far west end of Louisa.
    It's a huge site with plenty of well spaced trees. I camped there when I was still a ground dweller

A few pics of the site and Louisa
    http://picasaweb.google.com/osprey98...nParkSpring09#

Blair
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    Hi Azul.

Do you have any canoeing experience (and/or a canoe?) and do you mind a long portage?
    How long are we talking about with the portage?

Looking to do some fishing, less about the paddling, tho I've done some. Lake Lousia would be my preference. I'lll talk to my son, see if he wants to come up with me.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey Azul,

We're looking at doing one portage (2900m) to get from Rock to Louisa. I referenced the map below earlier in this thread.

I'm also about getting a good day on the water paddling and fishing (trolling) for lakers. There are a number of side routes available from Louisa as well.

Hope to see you there.

Algonquin Park Route Map

Disclaimer: Watersports and canoeing are inherently risky. All participants assume full responsibility for their own safety. Legalize for "Take Care Yo'self"
    Last edited by Chard; 09-14-2010 at 19:46.

Am I reading the map right? It looks like you want to do 5200m over 8 portages in one day to get from Ragged lake to Louisa.

Also, are you going to be fishing while paddling?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post
    Hey Azul,

We're looking at doing one portage (2900m) to get from Rock to Louisa. I referenced the map below earlier in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by vgnbkr View Post
    Am I reading the map right? It looks like you want to do 5200m over 8 portages in one day to get from Ragged lake to Louisa.

Also, are you going to be fishing while paddling?
    Vgnbkr,

I think you read the message wrong from chardpp, he said Rock Lake to Louisa. Which according to the map has the one portage as there is a campground at Rock. I hope you guys are packing light and the portage is fairly easy. 2.9kms carrying canoes and gear doesn't sound like too much fun to me.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Brian's right.. Its a single 2900m from Rock to Louisa and then we can chill.

I've done the 2320m Tom Thomson to Ink Lake portage on the way to McIntosh for too many of the last 25 years I've been going to the Park and it's not bad at all. Walk a while, take a break, even rotate canoe carriers. Sweaty yeah.. but that's portaging. Friday night dinner and Saturday morning breakfast on Rock lake can be extravagant, but otherwise definitely pack light, basically the same as we did for Bon Echo and make sure we don't have any loose gear in our hands. I always carry my canoe, so my partner just has to hump his pack, maybe somne group gear or even help carry the other canoe.

Elevatons Rock to Louisa 391 m up to 448 m and then back down to Louisa at 435 m.

These descriptions from a couple of trip logs sound encouraging.

(Note: Heading East, we're starting by going West) Not looking back, I picked up my pack and started off on the 2895m portage to Rock Lake. This portage has some small climbs, but nothing severe. There are a few areas with boardwalks, and near the beginning the trail crosses a road. Overall the portage is downhill to Rock Lake. There were many muddy sections, but all were easily circumvented

One long portage of 2895 m from Louisa to Rock Lake - long but not hard.

I think the 5200m vgnbkr was referring to was the Ragged to Louisa by way of McGarvey. Interesting but a long day of paddling. If we were going that general route I might suggest the Ragged, Bonnechere, Lawrence to Louisa route which has 3060m of portaging spread out over 8 portages, although the second to last portage, the Lawrence to Rod and Gun, is supposed to be a beast. Despite that, it would certainly make for a nice day of paddling with some slow trolling along the way. We could park one car at Smoke and another at Rock and do a thru-trip. The only limiting factor would be our time of arrival on Friday. Anything after 4pm would have us racing the sunset to camp on Ragged. Granted it'll be a full moon, but could easily be overcast or worse.

Comments?

I was referring back to the original list of suggested paddles. I was also assuming he didn't want to do the 3K portage twice, and the only way to avoid that is Smoke/Ragged or Cache Lake, AFAIK. Cache does seems shorter at 3750m over 6 portages.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast