Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Ontario Hang - Fall 2010 - Algonquin Park

Well, this just might be coming together and hopefully the fall colours will have started!!!

It's possible that some of us won't be able to get out of the city until mid-afternoon Friday, September 24, arriving at Canoe Lake after 6pm. That would mean the even a close campsite would mean paddling through dusk into the dark and setting up well after sunset. As long as there's little wind, that not a problem for me. I'd even enjoy it!. However, here are some some options for discussion:

• Arrive Friday evening (Sept 24), paddle through dusk, arriving at campsite after dark
    • Get a car camping site for Friday (Sept 24) then get an early start on an interior site Saturday morning
    • Get a car camping site for both Friday and Saturday nights (Sept 24 & 25), set up a basecamp and just do day-trips by canoe
    • Arrive early Saturday (Sept 25) morning and do one-night interior trip
    • Take Friday (Sept 24) off work and make a long weekend of it with an early start Friday
    • Get a drive-in group campsite for both Friday and Saturday nights (Sept 24 & 25) next to Pog Lake for $71/night

Conditions...
    Fri Sept 24: Sunset: 6:58pm/Moonrise: 7:02pm (1 day past full)
    Sat Sept 25: Sunset: 6:56pm/Moonrise: 7:27pm

Comments?
    Last edited by Chard; 09-01-2010 at 06:59.

Another option would be to get a group campsite next to Pog Lake for $71/night. An affordable option for 10 people, though you do have to drive to Pog Lake if you want a shower. Not sure if there would be enough good trees to hang 10 hammocks, though.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    My ideal is for a short paddle in on Friday, a longer paddle Saturday, and then a short-ish paddle out on Sunday. If some people are going to be late on Friday and need to car-camp or wait until Saturday to come, I don't see a problem with others paddling in on Friday and meeting up at the group site on Saturday. I'm not very interested in car camping; I do a ton of that already!

EDIT: actually my ideal is to take Friday off and make as much progress as is reasonable, but that doesn't really work unless everybody gets the time off.

Shawn

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'll agree with you on the car-camping, I included it as an option just to get up there, get organized and be ready to jump off early Sat morning... I'd certainly rather aim for 2 nights in the interior. It wouldn't take much to pick out a lop that fit the bill, depending on how much paddling/portaging we're interested in. Nothing's been booked yet, so we're flexible from that perspective. Something off of Hwy 60 probably makes the most sense for groups coming from Ottawa and Toronto, but coming in from the West side is interesting (and generally better fishing too).

There are a couple of options that have a hiking trail meet up with a canoe route, if we had some diehard hikers interested.

I like Shawn's idea, and I have the Friday off. Looking forward to testing some new gear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Ok. Some route ideas...

1. Loop: North up Canoe L. / Friday night : Joe L. / Sat : One long paddle or many little hops to Tom Thomson L.
    2. Loop: South down Smoke L. / Fri night : Ragged L. / Sat : Long day through Big Porcupine-Harness-Cache to Little Island
    3. Loop: South down Smoke L. / Fri night : Little Island L. / Sat : Backtrack through Smoke to Parkside Bay
    4. 2Car: South through Cache / Fri night : Head L. / Sat : Loop through Big Porcupine to Ragged or Parkside Bay / Sunday : Exit through Smoke (2 cars required (or a longer loop back to Cache)
    5. 2Car: South down Smoke L. / Fri night : Ragged L. / Sat : Long day to Lake Louisa / Sunday : Exit through Rock Lake
    6. Something out of Rain or Magnetewan Lakes
    7. Something out of Rock or Galeairey Lakes

There's dozens of other routes as well. It all depends on paddling times. Say for example Fri: 1-1.5 hrs in, Sat 4-5 hours paddling to move camp, Sun 2-3 hrs out sounds like a relaxing weekend.

Resources
    Canadian Canoe Routes - Excellent Canoeing Reource
    Algonquin Park Route Map
    Highly Detailed Park Map

Comments?
    Last edited by Chard; 09-02-2010 at 18:35.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Your outline for paddling times is pretty much the kind of thing I was thinking of. As for routes, I don't know Algonquin very well, I usually go into Quebec for my paddling rather than get closer to Toronto I'm up for anything along Hwy 60, and Rock or Galeairey Lakes, but I think the west side entrances are way too far for me to justify. Google Maps says 6 hours from here to Magnetawan.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Yeah Shawnh, I was thinking the same thing about the Western routes.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just wanted to get a better idea of who's planning on attending. There may be car-pooling opportunities/requirements.

Shawnh: Confirmed for Sept 24 late afternoon
    Vgnbkr: Confirmed for Sept 24 - Carpool out of Toronto

Kasuko: Confirmed for Sept 24/25?

Jefftrex: Confirmed not coming.
    BrianWillan: Confirmed not coming.
    Sk8rs_dad: Confirmed not coming.
    Entropy: Confirmed not coming.

Bring your fishing rods and licenses. Silver/Black and or Gold/Black Rapalas (3" - 5") and Little Cleos are always a good bet on Lakers; Panther Martins and rubber grubs for Brookies. For flyfishing, wooly buggers and leech patterns work well.

Assuming that the rest of the group wants to actually fish, if we can all get in there on Friday morning, I'd suggest a little longer paddle to some good fishing lakes.
    Last edited by Chard; 09-11-2010 at 19:54.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    UGH!

This is usually the weekend that my son and I spend 4 days in APP. I will be returning from Spain on the Saturday otherwise we would be in for sure.

I've done pretty much every one of those trips you have listed. The fall in the interior is 2 things .... beautiful and empty. It is usually void of people and bugs so that is why we pick the end of September for our trips. It is also the last weekend for trout fishing in the park.

Watch the wind on Canoe and Smoke and be safe out there.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast