Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Cumberland Island, Ga.

I'm getting an opportunity to spend some time camping at Cumberland Island, Ga. in a few weeks. Will have to stay at the family campground with the group that's going.

Anyone have experience with hanging there? My Uncle (who invited me) says there aren't enough trees in the family camp to hang from, but since he's not a hanger I know that he has hasn't checked out ALL the possibilities like a true hanger would.

Any info would be great, thanks. Crossing my fingers that I won't have to take a tttt tttent. (Though I'd take my hammock anyway, JIC)

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    From what I remember of camping there (waaaaaaay back in the late 80's) the camping area was open but shaded with a number of trees. However, there were a lot of palmetto plants around the trees.

I just did a quick Google Image search for Cumberland Island Campground and see that it hasn't changed a whole lot. Still, it appread that you should be able to hang as long as you got near a decent site. You may just have to be creative about how you hang.

Pictures! We'll want pictures when you return!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks! I will definitely take lots of pictures. I've camped there before many many many years ago, but in a ttttent. I'm taking my younger two daughters with me, so I'll have to find 3 places for us to hang, or put them in a tent.

I may make them some mosquito head nets before we go. Last time it took many cans of OFF to not get eaten. I remember it being VERY buggy. I may soak the gear in Permethrin too, even though it makes my wife nervous to have "chemicals" on the gear.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    MM IX dbl
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Yep. Regulars to the area were calling them sand fleas. Whatever they were, there were a lot of them and they made life miserable for anyone without some type of bug spray.

It didn't completely solve the problem, but it cut it down a good bit. I still came home with bunches of bites. A head net would be one of the first things I'd pack for that area.

Good luck in finding a spot to hang. From the pics I've seen on Google you may be able to hang along some of those really long horizontal branches.

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images

Lots of trees!

Hey NC,
    I don't know about the family campsite, but the rest of the campsites on the island have plenty of trees to hang from. That's an awesome place and hope to get back there soon.
    Below is a pic of my brother's Hennessey, you met him at the Hot Springs hang last spring. We were right next to you. ( I wasn't the loud one) and below that a pic of my Traveler in the palms on Cumberland Island in Feb 2010.

---Iggy----

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hi Iggy, thanks for letting me hang out with you guys at Hot Springs!

Those pics look great. Looks like you had a good trip. I guess I'm going to have to have plan A and a plan B. I'm really hoping there won't be any problems finding a spot.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Hi Iggy, thanks for letting me hang out with you guys at Hot Springs!

Those pics look great. Looks like you had a good trip. I guess I'm going to have to have plan A and a plan B. I'm really hoping there won't be any problems finding a spot.
    Hey NC,
    It was our pleasure to have you and your daughter with us. Hope to hang with you guys again!

I'll bet you don't have any problem with trees at that campsite. There's just SO many on Cumberland Island. Bring a small tent with you just in case. I hate plan B

I went in Feb and there were no bugs, but I heard they can get pretty bad in the warmer months, but with warmer months means more swimming ops. Also, shark teeth are a common thing to hunt in some areas on the island. There's wild ponies and plantation ruins...you're going to have a great time regardless!!

----Iggy---

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Patrick, here are a bunch of photos from my 2005 trip. I had just started hammock camping and was too nervous to try it on the island. Here is what I remember from that trip.

We drove down and parked at a dirt lot across from the ferry station. Had to purchase tickets to the ferry for a ride over. If it is your first time there you have to sit through a short orientation at the rangers office first.

We stayed at the family campground. It is about a mile from the station if I remember correctly. The sites all have food boxes and a picnic. They are pretty close to each other and are flat. You can probably find a way to hang there. You may have to you use your imagination in the campground, although you may get lucky and find the perfect spot.

The water tastes horrible. I don't know if it's from the desalination or what, but try to take enough to drink. It's got a real soft taste. Maybe you can take it. I thought I'd vomit drinking it. There is a bathhouse and bathrooms at the family campground.

It is an absolutely beautiful place. I have never been to a beach where there were no people as far as I could see and I could see for miles. Especially at night, there was a full moon, and I laid on the beach for hours by myself. Anyway, let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

http://www.bobbyhancock.com/images/g...land%207-17-05

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks for the info. Nice pics Bobby!

I think I can find some trees to hang in there. I might not be right in with the crowd though, which also might be a good thing.

I do remember those humongo spiders in the trees there. I guess I'll have to keep a big stick handy to fend them off with. I don't handle big spiders very well. I can -- but not well.

Hopefully will not end up doing plan B, though I might take the t-tt-t-tent (I have trouble saying that) for the girls to take the pressure off trying to find trees for 3, close to each other...

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

I can see cumberland island when I walk at lunch I have never camped there or seen the campground but the wife and I ride the ski up there a couple times a year for a little walk and picnic. NOSEEUM'S are the Georgia state bird! Easter diamond back rattlers love the palmettos. Plenty of wild horses, turkeys, deer, pigs...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast