Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banks of the Amite River, Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    Prussik Grabber
    One thing that I forgot to mention is that the tail ends of the load bearing prussiks also add to the length of the tree savers about 2 feet or as little as and inch depending on the size of the tree. This would allow me to set up between two trees anywhere between 12 and 25 feet apart. Beyound 25 feet I would expect an excessive amount of sag.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    ABOK is overkill for someone wanting to learn a few basic knots. A half dozen knots is all most people will ever use...make your list, work on one at a time, repeating it over and over until you own it, and then go on to the next one. Keep a short piece of line in your pocket for entertainment in idle moments...folks will think you're nuts, but at least now they'll have cause.

And know this: many modern synthetic lines are slicker than snot...they don't hold traditional knots well. In addition, knots weaken all lines considerably. Learn to splice. It's not difficult, and in many cases, a splice is preferable to a knot.

Good luck. It only seems overwhelming for a little while, and then it's actually fun. Today a noob, tomorrow a Zen Master.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The knots I use are:

• Slipped bunt line for one end of my tarp ridgeling
    • Trucker's hitch for the other end of my tarp ridgeline
    • Clove hitch for miscellaneous uses
    • Prusik knot on loops for my tarp to connect to the tarp ridgline
    • Slippery half hitch as a back up to prevent webbing from slipping (if using descender rings)
    • Tautline hitch on my tarp guy lines
    • Girth hitch to connect guy lines to my tarp or to connect suspension to hammock
    • Double fisherman's knots to make a loop or to connect two pieces or cord
    • The bowline and figure eight are useful to know as well

Bateauxdriver - good to see you over here - been quite a while since we camped together in the Sipsey

anyways my hammock setup is probably a bit different that most other hammockers but the knots used are some of those mentioned above

in particular:

I use a strap for the main suspension and attach the strap to the tree with a round turn and two half hitches were the second half hitch is slipped

all my hammocks have been setup with a single ring on each end and the strap from the tree attaches to the ring with a girth hitch - a girth hitch is like a larks head knot only done with a strap onto a ring - I find it relatively easy to adjust the hammock using the girth hitch

the ring attachment to the hammock is a simple larks head but with the Hennessy hammock I had to redo the knot attaching the loop to the hammock - there is a thread on this forum about the Hennessy knot that I would recommend viewing before redoing that knot

the tarp is one of the MacCat type of tarps with plastic D rings - I attach the tarp tieouts to these rings with a tautline hitch using 1.9 Spyderline (I think - its been a long time but it is the smaller Spyderline) - note I typically use 4 wraps for the tautline hitch

the attachment of the tarp to the trees is again a round turn and two half hitches

the attachment of the tieouts to the tent stakes (aluminum gutter nails) is simply to wrap the line around the nail about 10 times or more

Other generally useful knots around the camp :

marlinspike hitch, bowline, larks head in a blight, constrictor - I use a constrictor to attach a line to my water bottles for easy carry to/from the spring

for storage of line I usually butterfly the line - small stuff its a figure 8 turns between thumb and little finger with some wraps at the end - larger stuff its figure 8 turns around hand and elbow with again the finish being some turns around the middle where the cross is

if I need a soft 'biner I would typically tie a sliding larkshead onto itself then lock the larkshead in place with a half hitch - this approach also allows me to easily adjust the size of the loop and is what I use in place of the truckers hitch - see attached picture for this knot layed out:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jlb2012; 09-01-2010 at 10:29. Reason: forgot one

Banks of the Amite River, Port Vincent, Louisiana
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Suspension
    Prussik Grabber
    Hey HOI it is great to hear from you. I'm just starting out in the hammock world. I know you are a veteran for many years. I can remember back in what 2004 or so you were the only hammocker in our group. Hope you are doing well. I haven't been with the Sipsey gang in a while and I certainly miss them.

Bateaux

I rather like the figure 8 bend for attaching two ends together. Also, a water knot can be useful if you are using webbing.

But to echo what others have said, Bowline, trucker hitch, clove hitch, half hitch, prussik and lark's head are all essential knots.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    My knots from a few years ago:

10 Essential Outdoor Knots
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    My knots from a few years ago:

10 Essential Outdoor Knots
    Many of the links in that list are broken.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12