DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Almost made a hammock

Stayed up late last night and sowed up most of my DIY hammock. Only had one end channel left. Also left 30 inches open so I could put a pad inside -- decided this needed velcro to close it, started stitching this on and broke my thread injector! It won't pick up the bobbin thread. Pretty sure a thread jam hit the bobbin spring and bent the tiny hook that catches the thread. Not sure if this can be fixed, couldn't find a screw driver in the house small enough to get it off the bobbin holder. Anyone else experience this? Man, I was on a roll, everything was going so good. Hoping this is a standard item as my machine was made in the late 60s, it's a Dressmaker (Hammockmaker) SWM 1000. Bummed...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Check that the needle is not bent. Even a little will not allow the thread to get picked up.

If the needle is okay (try a new one, just to be sure, and make sure it is installed properly), then examine your timing by slowly turning the wheel by hand and watch how the needle and hook interact in the needle down position. If the hook is rotating enough to meet the needle,your good. If not, you spun the hook cam loose. It may be fixed. Follow the shaft back to where the cam arm attaches and see if the set screw is loose (if so equiped). It'll be a gear or an arm.
    Sometimes they twist and are still tight. But you can loosen the set screw or screws, turn the hook into proper position and retighten it.
    Install bobbin and all and turn by hand to confirm the thread is getting picked up. Then test on scrap fabric.

If the bobbin case is bent, just order a new one, or check with your sewing supply/repair shop.
    Usually the little screw can be turned with your fingernail, or get a small eyeglass repair kit and they have a tiny screwdriver in the kit. A small knifeblade can be used as well.

Normally if something bent the bobbin, I'd check and/or replace the needle first. The needle is meant to fail before mechanical complications occur. If the spring plate on the bobbin is bent, it probably needs to be replaced. But if you tell for sure its bent and can get it off the bobbin case, try to rebend it? Might work.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    IMO it is highly unlikely that a thread jam bent the tension plate on the bobbin. Unless the bobbin was wound super badly it is not likely for a thread jam to occur there. I'm not saying it didn't happen. Only that I would check other things first. Put a new needle in first. Trying to rebend the tension spring by hand is probably not going to work very well. You would be better off trying to replace the spring or the whole bobbin case rather than trying to shape it by hand.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargoyle
    Check that the needle is not bent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Put a new needle in first.
    +1 for the new needle. RamblinRev & Gargoyle are always here with the best advice!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i would not suggest this ,but it has happened to me ...a few times.make doubly sure the upper thread is threaded correctly and moves freely...before tearing apart any thing inside your machine.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I took the bobbin apart and managed to flatten the spring catch back where it should be. Put it back together and changed the needle, it's working but not nearly as smooth as it was. I got the ends sewn together and will head across town to a repair place to see if they have a new holder. If not I found them on line, looks like that is a common part. Hoping my order from Arrowhead shows up soon, still need tree straps and some more rope to finish. Really like the look of this, it's woodland camo outside with olive green inside, used black thread and I have black whoopies tied. When I get it hung will start working on OD green bug net. Thinking about a black tarp to complete the stealth look?

Any advice on sewing velcro? Wonder if I would be better off hand sewing this?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim Mac View Post
    If not I found them on line, looks like that is a common part.
    I would not order a bobbin case on line unless it was definitively specified for the make and model of the machine I had. The cases can differ from one model to another in the same manufacturer. They may all look alike on line but diameter and depth can differ slightly and that can throw the whole thing off. I would suggest you stay with the plan to have the mechanic find the proper part. If you can find a bobbin case which specifically states that will replace the exact model and make then you might be ok. Otherwise... I wouldn't try to do that myself.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Velcro..is it the adhesive backed? If so, it don't sew.

If it is sew on velcro, I just place it where I need it and stitch down the perimeter. Match up the corresponding male or female piece to the right location on the adjoining fabric and do the same perimeter stitch.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Velcro..is it the adhesive backed? If so, it don't sew.

If it is sew on velcro, I just place it where I need it and stitch down the perimeter. Match up the corresponding male or female piece to the right location on the adjoining fabric and do the same perimeter stitch.
    yea.i second gargoyle. this reminds me my mom told me not to sew adhesive backed velcro because it messes up your machine.

Hammock
    DIY CamoHammo
    Tarp
    DIY Catcut
    Insulation
    Body fat!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I knew better than to use the sticky kind though that was tempting. See me new post, I pinned it on and got it sewed ok. Did some googling and found a lot of people use a special foot that has one side higher than the other for velcro. A zipper foot works too. But I didn't have any trouble once I changed out the needle for a jeans needle.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast