WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

New IX UQ Help

Started making a double layer IX quilt for use as a light UQ or as an exterior quilt to my regular down quilt when needed for colder temps. The IX will be covered by 1.1 DWR ripstop fabric (ACU camo), front and back. The problem I have is which material to use in the ripstop channel along the sides and ends for cinching up snug to the WBBB and/or down UQ. I have 1/8-inch shock cord on-hand and same size poly draw cord. Anyone got some experience which might work best?????????
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Just use the same 1.1 camo material to make your sleeves/channels.
    Double it up, if your concerned about wear.
    That way it'll match.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    Just use the same 1.1 camo material to make your sleeves/channels.
    Double it up, if your concerned about wear.
    That way it'll match.
    Sorry I was clear as mud on that. I meant which item to use for the draw cord - the shock cord or the poly draw cord? I was planning on doing a rolled seam on the edges and then lapping over for the channel. It will be doubled ripstop at that point.
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    if you are a restless sleeper, I'd go with the shock cord, so it can move with you, otherwise the poly is probably okay- set it and forget it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by KerMegan View Post
    if you are a restless sleeper, I'd go with the shock cord, so it can move with you, otherwise the poly is probably okay- set it and forget it!
    Thanks. Now to choose. Or, maybe I can do one side in each and test both at the same time. Can always replace one or the other as needed.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    That's actually what I have on my summer UQ: 1.75 Zing-It on one end, and shock cord on the other, with a tautline on both cords for adjustment. Works fine, and has some give to it.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Either do what Acer did or use all shock cord - you want it to flex with you as you move.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Either do what Acer did or use all shock cord - you want it to flex with you as you move.
    Thanks. And thanks to Acer. I ended up using ploy 3/16 shock cord all the way around both sides. Pics show final product such as it is.

Description: 96" L x 48" W finished. Double layer IX, 90" L x 30" W, sandwiched between 2 layers of 1.1 DWR ripstop. IX is sewn to top layer on a bias to match the lay of WBBB. Ripstop has same bias to give more room at head and foot box corners. Got in such a hurry on Friday to finish that I rolled, pinned, and sewed the outer seams in the wrong direction, so now they are on the outside instead of hidden on the inside. Live and learn! If you look closely at first photo you can see the IX line thru the ripstop. Now for some cool weather for testing. Currently staying in the 70's at night here, too hot for testing.

Edit: Finally got a chance to weigh this thing after letting it hang for a day or so - total weight is 15 ozs, including the shock cord and cord locks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rockdawg69; 09-07-2010 at 14:48. Reason: Weight
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Bump. See edit of previous post for weight.
    Rockdawg69

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Cool, I might be following right behind you...I bought some IX from the For Sale section, and I'm going to be putting it on a WBBB as well. I just need to figure out what material to use.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast