Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cord help

Cord help

So I see all over people mentioning different types of cord for hanging, whipping etc.

I am getting to the point where I want to gather the ends of my hammock, I am going to be doing it as in knotty's thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

For suspension of the hammock, what weight limit / size of cord do I need to get? How long should I make the cords for suspension?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cstolworthy View Post
    So I see all over people mentioning different types of cord for hanging, whipping etc.

I am getting to the point where I want to gather the ends of my hammock, I am going to be doing it as in knotty's thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

For suspension of the hammock, what weight limit / size of cord do I need to get? How long should I make the cords for suspension?
    Most folks that don't use webbing for suspension use either 7/64" Amsteel or 1/8" Amsteel. The 1/8" is a bit "overkill" in terms of load-bearing capacity but that's what I use on 2 out 3 hammocks in my closet. If you are planning to use tree hugger straps, then the suspension line can be up to about 8 feet on each end. If you are planning to use Whoopie Slings, most people go with 6' Whoopie Slings (takes about 14' of line to make each one).

If you are planning to use a structural ridgeline (to help with getting the sag right or for hanging gear above you in the hammock), you can use the same line as your suspension line or something a bit smaller, say the 2.2 mm Zing It or Lash It.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

What would you recommend as the minimum breaking weight on the rope?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    If you are a person of average weight (whatever that is, let's say less than 200 lbs) you probably want something rated to about 900-1000 lbs. Hammock physics says you are not just putting your weight on the suspension. I don't even try to do the math, but it's more stress than you might think.

Amsteel tends to be the lightest of the choices available. Poly/polypro strapping is also good. Nylon strapping just keeps stretching and stretching so not an ideal choice. You can get good straps, Amsteel, and Dynaglide (another lightweight option) from Arrowhead Equipment, Jacks R Better, or other hammock accessory vendors here on the forum.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    For the suspension, I'd avoid anything rated at under 1000#. It's important to remember that knots will generally derate the rope by maybe 40% leaving you with very little safety factor. Avoid the temptation to use paracord as it's just not up to the task.

If you choose one of the modern HM (High Modulus) ropes like Amsteel then knots should be avoided altogether. Knots are a double whammy in these ropes. First, they're slippery, so knots tend to come undone under load. Second, they can't handle compression and compression is how most knots work. HM lines with knots have failed at loads that are only a small fraction of their rating. So, if you go the amsteel route, only use splices, which is how whoopie slings are constructed.

For the whipping, you can use almost anything as it's not subject to high loads.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

I am scheduled to go out backpacking tomorrow for an overnighter. I am having issue finding anything heavy enough to work, and be able to get it in time. For one night, would some polypropolene webbing work for the entire suspension?(connected to the hammock, and wrapped around a tree)

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    check the weight limit on it,hang some wieght on it or something before you go.if it is strong enough it will work.hang your hammock loose,saggy,the tighter you hang it the more force is put on the straps.get in carefully.expect to re tighten the straps as they may stretch out.

Hammock
    DreamBonnet MockingBird
    Tarp
    OMW SuperBird
    Insulation
    Obesity
    Suspension
    a bit of everythin
    So, 550 Paracord is no good? I need something stronger?

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    from what i have read on here.550 cord will leave your suspension stretched out and/or broke and you dumped on the ground.find something strong,at least 1000lb,and low stretch.amsteel cord, or polyester webbing.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Banana Hammock View Post
    So, 550 Paracord is no good? I need something stronger?
    You can use it. Its just not the best choice of products available.
    550 stretches like a rubberband, everytime you lay in the hammock, it will stretch. Some times to the point of lowering you to the ground. Get out retighten and get back in..an hour or two later..back on the ground. Thats what we are trying to avoid.

But use it for now if its all you have. It will work, until you can find some of the good stuff. Be warned, It (550)has been known to break. On folks who weigh only 150-175 lbs.
    Knots can derate the rope by as much as 50% or more, so if it only holds 550 lbs. and you knot it, your not left with much of a safety margin.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast