Well I have been lurking around a few weeks and decided you guys and gals seem like good people so I had better introduce myself. I have been a hanger for a year and half, just finished my 22nd night hanging in the wilderness (not counting test nights in the backyard.) Most of my camping is backpacking cause anyone can car camp! I had been working with a BSA varsity scout team here in Arizona and I am getting too old to sleep on the ground.

Last year we spent a week backpacking along the Mogollon Rim (pronounced ˌmə-gə-ˈyōn). After 8-10 miles days the hammock went up first and I would lay there till I got hungry. Summer time puts us up in the pines but I do love to hike our deserts in the winter. I won’t dare tie up to our beautiful saguaro cactus and mesquites are nasty to sleep under. Has anyone tried tying to rocks? Are there any other Arizonans on HF?

I am currently in a DIY gathered-end, Wally-World 1.9 rip-stop rig and I love it. I am using climbers utility cord with a couple aluminum carabineers hooked to some tie down straps I picked up at Home Depot. Seems to be working but I think I might try to make me some whoopee slings and use a toggle soon. Some of those fancy hammocks I have seen here on HF look nice but I am afraid if I try one I’ll have to buy it. I like the DYI, a UQ and a Ultra-lightweight back are my next projects.

When I am not hangin’ and manage to develop software or hang with the family. It is nice to see there are more hangers out there.

Glamar
Gilbert, Arizona