Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I use Shugs method, whoopie slings to the tree strap with a marlin spike knot, (and remember "the whoopie goes on the knot not the toggle,the knot not the toggle"quote from shugs vids...

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

The simplest

As JustJeff said: "Simplest in terms of operating parts would be webbing only..."

And here's the simplest webbing only form. No hardware--just a trail stick.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21407

not to pile on here, but please note that your hammock (i have a DN) will stretch more than your suspension if you use the proper materials (not nylon webbing/rope as has been said).

i've been using home-made 7/64" amsteel blue suspension components with 250 lbs (me and 2 three-year-olds) quite often (and vigorously) over the past several weeks without a hint of play that makes me question stability.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Simplest will depend entirely on who you ask, what they have or have not used, which hammock(s) they have or have not used, their physical capabilities or inabilities, their mental capabilities or inabilities, their biases, which year they were born in (and which month and which day of the week and the moon phase when they were born and whether at night or not), whether they are left handed or right handed (left/right footed?), whether they are using the system in the summer or winter, and the list could go on for paragraphs.

Asking for the simplest suspension system will get you very definitive and adamant answers from lots and lots of forum members, each one totally certain that the system they use is the simplest, lightest, fastest, easiest to use.

The worst part of the answers is that each and every definitive and adamant answer is totally correct - for the person writing the answer.

Is the answer correct for you? Well try all of the suspension systems vocally and adamantly championed and then you will know the answer for you.

Oh, and let us know when you find it because it may be different from the suspension system used by any other forum member and then we can add another simplest, easiest, fastest and lightest suspension system to the growing list.

Oh another thing - stretch is a function of the materials used and not the knot or splice. So if you want to eliminate stretch, the easiest answer is to avoid nylon (webbing or rope).

Quote Originally Posted by Crotalus View Post
    I have an ENO double nest that is currently hanging in my backyard from the chains and eyebolts that were used for my previous cotton rope hammock.

In time i want to use the ENO for backpacking and taking along when we use the fifth wheel. I am looking for a simple, easy to use, quick set up suspension, i think i also want a structural ridgeline.

I am currently leaning towards the whoopieslings All-in-one setup. I am not a great knot tier, I use an improved clinch, a double surgeon and a nail knot for fly fishing but i am not really into learning more and complicated knots.

if anyone can point me to something that would be simpler, easier and more stable than the whoopieslings I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    Joe

Hammock
    Hammecks, WBBBs
    Tarp
    WB Edge+SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIYIXUQ+TQ+SngFit
    Suspension
    webbing, whoOpies
    webbing with cinch buckles on Blackbird. . .wonderful and simple !

whoopieSlings ( with straps as tree huggers ) on both ENOs . . . wonderful and simple !

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    As JustJeff said: "Simplest in terms of operating parts would be webbing only..."

And here's the simplest webbing only form. No hardware--just a trail stick.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21407
    I'd argue that the simplest webbing only form is webbing only...not even a stick. Just wrap it around the tree like the old Speer 4-wrap.

Not the quickest, but the simplest...only one piece permanently attached, no hardware or sticks, no knots/lashings/whips to learn, etc.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Arguably webbing and a JRB Triglide is a strong candidate for the knot challenged seeking simplicity...Circle the tree and back thru the triglide ... as easy as buckling your belt.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are 2 other factors you also have to consider:
    1. weight - webbing suspension systems are going to be a minimum of 3 times heavier than equivalent rope systems. Webbing of equivalent strength to dyneema/spectra rope is 3 times heavier per unit length.
    2. bulk/volume - for equivalent lengths, webbing occupies much more volume than rope. A webbing suspension system is going to occupy more volume in your pack than a rope suspension system. One of the reasons for this is the comparative inflexibility of webbing when compared to dyneema, single braid rope.
    3. hardware - practically all webbing systems require hardware, triglides, carabiners, dutch clips, dutch biners, rings, cam buckes, cinch buckles or cleats (at least 3 different kinds have been used) or probably other hardware that has been used. Hardware occupies a lot of volume. Also hardware is the heaviest part of a suspension system other than webbing. Rope systems can be easily devised that also use hardware, but more to the point rope systems can be easily devised that use no hardware and no knots. No hardware rope systems are in common use by many members on the forums. Any webbing system that doesn't use hardware uses knots in the webbing. For webbing there is no substitute for either knots or hardware. If you don't like knots in rope, than you will like knots in webbing even less.

NOTE: in referring to webbing systems, I mean systems that are all webbing. Rope systems still use webbing for tree huggers, although some of us have now switched to rope huggers and dispensed with webbing entirely.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    RidgeRest Pad
    I appreciate all the info and will continue to read up on the different methods.

to me simplest means no fancy knots

At this point i am leaning towards the whoopie all in one system and possibly substituting the Dutch clips for the carabiner at the tree.

Weight and volume are not big considerations for me - yet. Simplicity and staying off the ground are

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

-------------------

"I'd argue that the simplest webbing only form is webbing only...not even a stick. Just wrap it around the tree like the old Speer 4-wrap.

Not the quickest, but the simplest...only one piece permanently attached, no hardware or sticks, no knots/lashings/whips to learn, etc."--JustJeff

Argument accepted. What you've written, JJ, is true.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast