Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Backyard report: two quilts and an attempted assault: 38 F

Greetings,

I recently completed my first Red River Gorge quilt. It was designed with 3" baffles and stuffed with a little over 16 oz of 800 fill down. Aside from some cosmetic issues, it came out exceptionally well. I'm really pleased, especially since my extensive sewing experience comprised a total of exactly two stuff sacks. I'll post pictures later on another thread.

I couldn't wait to try it out and last night I did, hanging at Weasel Camp (my backyard). I used my 3" quilt underneath, my 2" No Sniveller as a top quilt and I was dressed in my standard lightweight REI thermal underwear, smartwool socks, and nylon watch cap. This is roughly what I wore in previous tests except for the last time in which I used a fleece balaclava.

As always, I started off too warm and gradually pulled the top quilt on as I cooled. Unlike previous tests, I felt no heat loss through the bottom which isn't much of a surprise. Toward morning, I did have a few moments in which i woke, thought to myself that it was a bit chilly, rolled over and went back to sleep. I'm not sure I was cold so much as I recognized that it was cold outside. At one point I realized that my nose was cold (it sticks out kinda far), I rolled, and went back to sleep. I recorded a minimum air temperature of 38 F. Here is an indication of my general level of discomfort: I overslept big time and was seriously late for work.

I must be a cold sleeper. I would have expected to be roasting the entire night. I have no doubt that I can go much colder by wearing a few more layers at night and I had them in the hammock with me in case. Still, all my troubles with the supershelter may be more related to my physiology than the equipment.

The best part of the experiment was the morning. I came into the house through the basement to use the toilet and realized that the front door and garage door were open. This piqued my curiosity and then I saw my wife and daughter, wearing winter coats, run around the house to the backyard carrying a broom and a Teddy bear. So, I went to the dining room door to watch them sneak up on my hammock, duck under the tarp, bang on the hammock, and then emerge confused. Then I started banging on the glass door and waving. In all the laughter, I forgot to lock the front door so they couldn't get back in. Next time.

It is only going to get colder and you can guess where I'll be in the nights to come.

FreeTheWeasel

Weasel, congrats on completing your UQ, I look forward to the photos. I'm guessing your might have been losing a lot of heat from your head with just a watch cap. If I used a top quilt instead of Wallcreeper/Rock Wren I'd buy on of those polarguard balaclavas that Backpacking Light sells.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    The best part of the experiment was the morning. I came into the house through the basement to use the toilet and realized that the front door and garage door were open. This piqued my curiosity and then I saw my wife and daughter, wearing winter coats, run around the house to the backyard carrying a broom and a Teddy bear. So, I went to the dining room door to watch them sneak up on my hammock, duck under the tarp, bang on the hammock, and then emerge confused. Then I started banging on the glass door and waving. In all the laughter, I forgot to lock the front door so they couldn't get back in. Next time.
    That is funny!

Nice report and I gotta agree with Take-a-knee, my money says with some form of insulated headwear you probably wouldn't have even noticed the cold. Amazing how much heat is released thru the head. Especially when you've got a hairline like mine; glaciers move slower.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 10-25-2007 at 14:17. Reason: forgot a word

Images
    Sounds like FUN to me!!!!

Wish I slept out last night... Still no UQ to keep me warm, but yours sounds toasty.

Another thing you can try is sleeping in a hoodie. Especially a fleece one. (I won't wear a balaclava because I hate how they feel on my face. So I wear hoods of various sorts.)
    So many projects, So little time....

Images
    walmart has 100% polyester hooded pullover sweatshirts for $15 - I bought one for me and my son - we used them in the Adirondacks last weekend - very warm.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post

At one point I realized that my nose was cold (it sticks out kinda far),
    might I humbly suggest you make the very attractive nose cozy as I did?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Congrats on a successful hang!!

You lose a lot of heat from your face and neck, too - that's why I got the neofleece facemask. I can't really sleep with something covering my face, but the Serius facemasks don't cover the nostrils and have little holes over the mouth so I don't get the suffocating feeling.

But I must admit that it's nowhere near as cool as the nose cozy. You should get a patent on that thing...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I was thinking of using my red clown bulb nose, but I like your solution better. Lower profile but not necessarily any less conspicuous

Does that have holes for breathing? I'm not sure it would make a difference in my case since my nose is really only good for announcing my arrival several minutes before the rest of me. It doesn't work well as a snorkel.

I've tried commercial neoprene ski masks before with little luck because they just don't fit. Despite my (hopefully) good natured jesting, I just may have to build one.

Thanks.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post

wow,new one on me,a nose cozy neo

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just needs whiskers on the sides. But make them flexible so you don't poke a hole in the hammock!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts