Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sleepless

Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    Getting to sleep isn't my problem..... my problem is now that I have been using hammocks, I can't sleep comfortably anyplace else....
    ya, thats a problem.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    I've had similar experiences mentioned in the other posts on this topic. I tried sleeping in my backyard the first time I put up my hammock. I gave up after a few hours. My big dog, Misto, kept pushing her snout into the bug net to lick me and check on me every few minutes. My little dog, Holly, kept barking. I heard the street noise and it was also, surprisingly bright out. I didn't put up my tarp that evening thinking that watching the stars would help me fall asleep.

Then, I went up on the AT with Redtail. We hung 30 + feet away from each other because we both admitted to being loud snorers on the hike to the shelter area. I slept pretty well that night except for when I slipped off of of my cc pad and hit "cold spots". It got down to 42 degrees out.

Then I got a Speer Snugfit underquilt, took it to MAHHA and slept like a rock each night. I'm convinced that using any kind of underquilt, makes sleeping much easier because there is less to deal with inside of the hammock.
    I also agree that using earplugs can help one sleep. My girlfriend uses them and unless I am really loud, I sleep through the night without an elbow to the ribs. We've both found that the Leight Earplugs that one can purchase at most chain drugstores have been the most comfortable for us. They are made of foam and conform to the inside of your ear once you put them in.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    In a bed I am a dedicated stomach sleeper, but I have never felt ill-at-ease while sleeping in my hammock; nor have I had any trouble getting to sleep. Admittedly tho, I can sleep anywhere, pretty much.

My oldest son however can't sleep in a hammock at all. Says sleeping while suspended freaks him out. I think he psych's himself out and can't get to sleep, he's just happier on the ground. To each their own I say...

Knowing what I know now (namely how comfortable a hammock is) I would give it everything I had to be able to sleep in one.

Good Luck...
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

He can bivi below your hammock and save one tarp, but take it easy with the beans...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I'm usually a side sleeper, but can sometimes drift onto my stomach, even in my hammock. I can get pretty flat in my hammock if I lay asym in it, especially now that I have a structural ridgeline in place. Hammocking has a significant learning curve to it, you just have to find what's right for you and what works for you.
    hooch... are you sure you're sleeping well??? you don't look so well in your avatar.
    and you need a hair cut man
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerby View Post
    ya, thats a problem.
    Yep! Especially when one is stuck in a hotel room on a business trip.

My room overlooks the 17th green of a very posh golf course. I'm eyeing a set of palm trees that look about 15' apart. Might just go stealth tonight; room is paid for, that covers the trees too....right? I thought ahead and brought my neo 9x9!

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

My room overlooks the 17th green of a very posh golf course. I'm eyeing a set of palm trees that look about 15' apart. Might just go stealth tonight; room is paid for, that covers the trees too....right? I thought ahead and brought my neo 9x9!
    Sure...go for it and let us know how it works for you.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

do you hang that thing high enough to not tempt alligators that might wonder around on the golf course at night?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

hmm, I guess if it's the 17th green you don't have to worry too much about 6 a.m. tee off times, but you might want to set an alarm anyway

Grizz

Well, I'm back from Catoctin. Friday night it was raining rather heavy all night, I slepped off and on. You know the type, you don't rally have any sense of sleeping, but during the lucid moments realize that the reality you just lived through was in fact a dream. I think I need to get a larger rain tarp. I didn't actually get wet, but I did stay damp.

The second night after hiking most of the day (half of it with pack) I slepped a bit better, though I did wake frequently. This is usually how I sleep when camping (on the ground, though not so comfortably) anyway, so no harm done.

A few minor problems, I cant seem to find the "sweet" spot where you get the right diagonal to be more or less flat, rather than doing the banana. Or at least getting me and the pad both in the right position to avoid the cold spots. Ya, an under quilt is defiantly a priority before it gets much colder.

On a side note I packed my full load anticipation my through-hike next year. My pack weighed out at about 35lbs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast