Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleepless

Like my son I can normally sleep anywhere and in any position, though I prefer sleeping on my side. I have some trouble normally in a banana hammock.

I find the HH asym models, my bridge bag and my my asym net hammock allow me to move around a lot, especially the HH. Without the side ties, the net hammock is like lying on a rope and I can't get comfortable at all.

I think it is something about the stability, rather than the room to spread out, as last night I disconnected one side of the asym net hammock and bungeed it over the other and slept well in the net cocoon.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Aha! now we have it. I too am a belly sleeper, and my first backyard nights in a hammock weren't restful because I was not in my accustomed position. I was committed to hammocking though, because I was about to do a week of backcountry camping in a place where flat places for pitching tents are not to be found.

I found on that hiking trip that a couple thousand feet of elevation change spread out over 10 miles in a day has a wonder effect on ease of sleep on my back in a hammock.

But it doesn't work if I'm not exhausted.

(psst, hey buddy, yeah you. C'mere. You heard about the bridge hammock?)

seriously though, if you're new to these parts you might not know about a hammock design where you can sleep on your stomach. JacksRBetter sells them, and a handful of crazies around here (of which I am one) build our own. Some threads on that. Come to think of it, maybe that's the solution. Read the Bridge Hammock thread while in your hammock....

Grizz
    Reading the Bridge Hammock thread while in my hammock would work my brain so hard with all that math. It would be like a tranquilizer.
    I can relate to your problem. I've been hanging for over a year now and dont sleep real well in my Hennessy or Treklight double. The main reason is I'm a side/stomach sleeper and have a hard time dozing off on my back. I was hoping the partial back, partial side position would help but it still feels like I'm just on my back. Side sleeping is hard cause I dont like the trunk torque and fetal curl. That being said, I can take naps at home in my hammock in the house pretty well on my back so there may be others factors working as well. Some factors to consider are eating right before bed. Which on one hand is good to stoke the furnace to keep you warm but it can make it harder to fall asleep for some due to the having to metabolize a big meal. Another is trying to sleep soon after a tough hike. For some it would help them crash with ease but others it would have the same effect as the old saying that you shouldn't exercise right before bed.
    I ordered a JRB bridge hammock in hopes that it will help out alot. Really looking forward to a flat lay. The clock is ticking........the day is getting near....... www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/BMBH.htm
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 10-25-2007 at 23:59.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    Reading the Bridge Hammock thread while in my hammock would work my brain so hard with all that math. It would be like a tranquilizer.
    LOL! For once, it wasn't me Grizz!

The Bridge Cult seems to be shaping-up nicely and it looks like you're picking-up new recruits. They are probably right Kerby; if you are normally a stomach sleeper then you're never gonna get truly comfy on your back. You should probably either order one of the Bridge hammocks or bust out the calculator, keep a PM window open with Grizz's name in the "send" section, and build your own.

I'm honestly looking forward to seeing someone on the Trail with one of these things. I'm a back sleeper, but I do admit to being strangely curious.

i'm a side/stomach sleeper. but with the help of some fleece and earplugs i was able to pull an 11 hour night last camping trip.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I'm usually a side sleeper, but can sometimes drift onto my stomach, even in my hammock. I can get pretty flat in my hammock if I lay asym in it, especially now that I have a structural ridgeline in place. Hammocking has a significant learning curve to it, you just have to find what's right for you and what works for you.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Well that bridge hammok looks interesting. I'm going out backpacking this weekend so I'll see how things change after a day on the trail (and a douse of niquil...)

Images
    Let us know how it goes...

So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    If hiking I don't have any issues with getting to sleep in my hammock, but if I'm camping I will wait until I'm tired or have a nice buzz going to try and sleep. My problem is when camping and I get up to water the bushes I have trouble getting back to sleep.

I was worried my boys would have issues with sleeping in the hammocks but they fall right to sleep. They also snore...loudly.

Quote Originally Posted by Iafte View Post
    They also snore...loudly.
    thats why i always take earplugs on group trips

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Getting to sleep isn't my problem..... my problem is now that I have been using hammocks, I can't sleep comfortably anyplace else....
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast