My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock

Noob from oregon here.

Just wanted to say HI and thanks to everyone that has posted their ideas here. I have learned a lot and am waiting on my first real hammock to arrive. I purchased a jungle hammock from "mosquito" or "claytor" hammocks about 13 days ago, so i am expecting it in the next day or two. I went to a store here in town called andy and bax and had made up for me, 2, 11 foot straps with a loop sewn into one side (for caribiner) and 2 "D" rings on the other. I was afraid that the whoopie straps would not hold the weight of myself and my gear when hunting the back country, ( i weigh 250 and my gear is at least another 50+ lbs) so i opted for 1 inch close weave strapping. I'm sure with a load limit of 3200 lbs its total overkill but i wanted to be sure. What are your folks thought on this idea. Do they make the spectra cord in higher weight limits ?????? I really did'nt look because i read that its limits where around 250 lbs. Thanking you all in advance, Charlie.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF. Many here use Amsteel to make whoopie slings. 7/64" has a breaking strength of 1600 lbs. 1/8" has a breaking strength of 2100 lbs.. When I first started hanging I was well over 300lbs and never had a problem with my 7/64" whoopies. Whoopies will hold you and your gear just fine.
    Terry

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome, where about in OR are you? Poppabear is right you will cut a lot of weight out of your rig with whoopie slings made from amsteel, there are lots of folks well larger than you hanging from them. I have test ours to over 600 pounds for a full 24 hours with no issues. Glad to have you here with us.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    welcome to HF
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Greetings neighbor. I too am in my rookie year of hanging. I also went with the same suspension that you're describing because, with the size of trees we get in the NW, I was unsure what length of tree hugger to use. I've recently ordered some amsteel and will be making some whoopie slings to cut down on the bulk and weight of the straps. The straps work just fine but, like a kid in the toy store, it's hard not to want to try out everything.
    Dan

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    hey injun, I'm in the Portland area, too. I live in Aloha, and have been hanging for several years. The Claytor JH is a great hammock. I recently sold mine to a friend, but I definitely racked up some nights in that thing.

7/64 Amsteel Blue is my vote, you want to be light weight. Other wise 1" webbing and buckles/rings are solid and simple.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything.
    ~Bryan

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock

Lol !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by miisterwright View Post
    hey injun, I'm in the Portland area, too. I live in Aloha, and have been hanging for several years. The Claytor JH is a great hammock. I recently sold mine to a friend, but I definitely racked up some nights in that thing.

7/64 Amsteel Blue is my vote, you want to be light weight. Other wise 1" webbing and buckles/rings are solid and simple.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything.
    I used to live in Aloha, just moved to the S.E. side. Got married and all that. I'm more concerned with weight then anything really. If i had known that Amsteel was so strong i would have went that route. Any little bit of weight i don't have to carry the better. Those long hikes through the woods at the base of hood can get pretty tireing, especially when you have 50-60- lbs hanging on your back. Thanks for the advice, and i just might take you up on your offer. Thanks

• + New Posts