Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Mosquitos and Underquilts

I've just ordered an underquilt for my HH Expedition. It just dawned on me that without a pad I'm not going to have any protection from mostquitos for my face and hands (the UQ is supposed to go at your shoulders).

What do people do for mostquito protection if they use an UQ with a single layer hammock like the Hennessys?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    You could treat the hammock fabric with permethrin, or spray it with deet or other poison of choice. Or rely on a nice warm hat and pillow. I keep my down jacket under my neck and head as a pillow.

Thanks for the idea. Not a big fan of permethrin by my face, and deet would wreck the material eventually.

I use a pillow, but one night I had the pad too low and during the night my hand was touching the bottom of the hammock. I woke up with my hand so bitten it had swollen to almost 150% its normal size.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Eat more garlic. Tends to keep them away for me!

The stuff used in the "BugBand" brand wrist bands seem to work pretty well.
    Geraniol (http://www.bugband.net/ ) You can get it in a pump bottle and spray some on the ground below the hammock??

Had so much exposure to DEET over the years that if I get any above my shoulders, my lips go numb!
    DKPerdue

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    DEET melts plastic, but does it eat nylon?

Glove liners? I use them from when my hands start to feel cold down to about freezing - then I put on fingerless rag wool to maintain dexterity.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Nylon IS plastic, pretty much.

Mosquitoes are fairly inactive under 60F and dormant under 50. Personally I only use my UQ (or a pad) at temps below 50F, so for me... does not compute.

Skeeters seem to have trouble biting through two layers of fabric. Whether it's a thin CCF pad, some sort of sheet, the bottom of a sleeping bag.... you want to get something under you.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    wind shell/Garlington taco/undercover/gear hammock?- a few ounces of fabric might be worth it!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vgnbkr View Post
    Thanks for the idea. Not a big fan of permethrin by my face, and deet would wreck the material eventually.

I use a pillow, but one night I had the pad too low and during the night my hand was touching the bottom of the hammock. I woke up with my hand so bitten it had swollen to almost 150% its normal size.
    Now those are some mean mosquitoes to cause that much swelling. Perhaps an area bug protection system like a thermacell or those Off Clip On would be a solution.

I take it from your underquilt that you bought a partial length one. Is there someway to add another layer of fabric under your hammock to make it harder for the bugs to bite through? THe 210D oxford nylon is a pretty heavyweight fabric to begin with.

Where/when were you that you got attacked by the bugs to that extreme?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vgnbkr View Post
    I've just ordered an underquilt for my HH Expedition. It just dawned on me that without a pad I'm not going to have any protection from mostquitos for my face and hands (the UQ is supposed to go at your shoulders).

What do people do for mostquito protection if they use an UQ with a single layer hammock like the Hennessys?
    I'm a little ..
    Your inside your bugnet, right? How are the skeetters getting to your hands and face?
    The uq is thick enough that skeeters won't bite thru the quilt. The under quilt hangs under the hammock, outside.

Once I climb in my hammock (not an HH, but that is irrelevant) and zip it shut I slap whatever few skeeters flew in to death.
    Then its nightie night.

If mosquitoes are biting thru the fabric on parts not covered by the uq (legs, arms, etc) adding a layer of clothing or tucking a sheet under me usually cures the problem.

Double hammocks, I've been bitten thru the double layer as well. Not as much, but it has happened
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What kind of UQ did you order? I'm assuming a partial length since it only goes to your shoulders.

You could just use some sail tape and attach a small piece of fabric to the inside of the hammock near your head. It probably wouldn't add two ounces and the double layer of fabric will prevent them from biting through. Kind of Sanford & Sonish, but I bet it'd get the job done.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast