Thread: First quilt

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY cat diamond
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & OQ
    Images
    Very Nice quilt!! I used pins on my first quilt and still have down coming out of the holes left by them. Hope your luck is better.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I appreciate your words of encouragement. Now, to answer the questions.

The tutorial can be found at http://www.tothewoods.net/RedRiverGo...orgeQuilt.html I used the instructions almost exactly. There are a few errors in the calculations, however, and I will be posting my corrections on the thread that has been set up to discuss it. You'll find a link to it on the tutorial page itself. I also did my corners a bit differently. The tutorial has you sew the long edges first and then the short edges after you've stuffed the down. I would suggest a change so that you do one long edge and two short sides before putting the down in. This will keep the down from getting in the way of the sewing.

I did not use the Thru-hiker quilt kit but I should have. I wound up buying most of my material other than the down through them anyway. I had combined an order for down with a friend of mine and after it was all done, I probably spent a few more dollars doing it separately. Were I to do it again, I would buy the kit. It isn't a bad price.

I used lots and lots of pins on the Momentum90 and at one point I managed to sew right through the middle of one baffle. That took a long time to rip out, by the way and I highly recommend against making mistakes. Yes, I know, mistakes are fun, but trust me, skip them on this project. You will all do better than I did, I'm sure. The fabric recovered really well and perhaps that is why it is so expensive. I can't tell you if it was easier to sew than any other fabric because I had just about zero experience sewing before I started. I made two stuff sacks from WallyWorld $1 nylon but those were much shorter seams. I used lots of pins though and I'm sure that helps.

I'll compress it in a stuff sack and take some pictures. It won't be as small as my No Sniveller, I'm sure of that. My hope is to build a sack that is big enough to hold my No Sniveller, my RRG 3" quilt, and my hammock. Hopefully, it will all fit into the bottom of my pack when I'm done

The unspoken question is did I save money relative to the commercial products? The short answer is yes, but there are a number of considerations. The commercial product looks professional as it should. My stitches don't always run straight, my edging is sometimes not always exactly the same width, and I didn't choose grey thread of the right color so it doesn't blend as well. The NoSniveller also has that nifty head hole which probably would have added a few hours to my time. I spent a lot of time and if you average the savings as an hourly wage, I'm not sure how those guys stay in business. I am not about to set up a competing quilt business, believe me. I also had access to my neighbor's sewing machine. It was a lot of fun for me though and there is a great deal of satisfaction in having done it. I think my quilt will be a good addition to my gear but I plan to continue using the one I bought as well.

FreeTheWeasel

Images
    Often making your own gear isn't really cheaper. The benefits are in other areas...

1) If you know how to make it, you know how to fix it if it needs repairs.
    2) You can get things no one makes commercially, but that you REALLY (think) you NEED....
    3) You get satisfaction beyond simply plunking down some money.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Often making your own gear isn't really cheaper. The benefits are in other areas...

1) If you know how to make it, you know how to fix it if it needs repairs.
    2) You can get things no one makes commercially, but that you REALLY (think) you NEED....
    3) You get satisfaction beyond simply plunking down some money.
    Yup. The process was more important than the money saved. Since it came out so well, I really had a good time. If I had fouled it up beyond recovery, however, I may have changed my mind

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm guessing you probably saved almost $100 or so doing it yourself... plus you made it how YOU wanted it.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Yeah, its way cool and it ain't dayglo green.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlight
    Tarp
    Hennessy Poly Hex
    Insulation
    DIY and JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Yeah, its way cool and it ain't dayglo green.
    Are you kidding me? When I need to stealth camp in a football stadium with artificial turf, that is going to be my underquilt of choice.

FreeTheWeasel

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeTheWeasel View Post
    Are you kidding me? When I need to stealth camp in a football stadium with artificial turf, that is going to be my underquilt of choice.

FreeTheWeasel
    120 yards of straps to hang from the goal posts?

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    Can you imagine the sagand / stretch?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12