Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Greetings from the Gulf Coast

Hi everyone. I am new to the group and admittedly, I am a groundhugger. However, I am thinking about changing that. I have perused a few posts, but I would appreciate any starting advice one can offer...
    Last edited by Buffalo Skipper; 09-03-2010 at 09:30. Reason: none

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to HF. Once you hang the first time, odds are that you will never want to go to the ground again. Spend some time looking around the forums and you will get an idea of which hammocks are the most popular. You do not neccessarily have to go expensive to get a good hammock. Check the google map on the opening page and see if there are any hangers close to you. Then perhaps you could hook up with them and try out a few rigs. Another good option is to make your own hammock. There are some real good instructions here.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    ... any starting advice one can offer.
    Get home safe!

Welcome to HF!!
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. Check out Just jeff's "to the woods " site for a good over view of hammock camping and also check out Shugs series of video's for new folks that can be found at the top of the page under "video's". That should get you started and don't be shy about asking further questions.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Thanks for the tips. Shy is not a problem I have often.

Let me introduce myself and ask my introductory question a different way. I am a Boy Scout leader and I have actively hiked and camped all of my life. With scouts, I am out at least once a month; we backpack or canoe-camp 3-5 times a year. My backpack has become heavy, over the years, as I expect more comforts, but I have gotten to a point in my experience that I want to remove much of the clutter. That's not to say I have completely lost my mind and want to go ultralight, but I would like to shave 10-15 lbs off my 40-45 lb pack.

I do have "issues" sleeping, but they are minor. I am a side sleeper, and I like a good layer of thick padding under me. I sleep cold. I live in Florida and sleep with a quilt in the summer. My main goal is to find a warm hammock system which reduces my weight (shelter and all bedding) from what is now about 10-12 lbs down to under 8 lbs.

I am very intrigued by the idea of hanging but am concerned by the coolness factor (I don't mean hip, but temperature). I have done a reasonable amount of research on Hennessy Hammocks, but I am open to any other ideas.

So my question is where do I start, and with these concerns in mind for me, what products should I be considering?

I should also add that I am 6'1" and average just below 200#.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    In the works.
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Welcome from Texas!
    It depends on how much time/money you have.
    Curiosity may very well become desire.
    "Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great."
    - Mark Twain

"Pray to God, but row for shore." - Old Proverb

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Buffalo Skipper:
    Welcome to HF from Bama.........Pensacola is a nice area. A couple of questions for you.
    1. Are you looking for an all in one package hammock rig? (Hammock, Tarp, Bugnet)

2. What is the budget that you have to spend on a complete set-up?

3. Any chance of you Scouting/camping outside the Panhandle?
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    I spent many years in Ft Walton and even married my wife there. There are a lot of areas to hike and campus in the panhandle. Good luck to ya and enjoy.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Package deal? Sure that would be nice, but that usually means more up front cost and I would be more comfortable spreading that out over time. It probably would not be a deal breaker either way, given a reasonable $$$.

Budget? Well, I would like to stay below $400, but I am certainly willing to spread that cost out over time. Given enough time, I would even be willing to exceed that.

Yes, we generally backpack around FDR State Park (Ga) and Cheaha State Park (Al) in the winter, and we are always up in the Tenn/NC/Ga mountains in the summer. We have backpacked in temps below 15°, though that is colder than we are generally prepared for, but below 32° is expected.

We do much of our backpacking in the December-January time frame, as hiking in the deep south in the summer can be unbearable. As such I am looking for a good cold WX setup.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here's what I use as my shelter/sleep system down to about 25 degrees.

1. Warbonnet Traveler Hammock (don't need the bug net on the Blackbird in colder temps) - 16.5 oz, probably around 20 Oz with all suspension bits (huggers, toggles, whoopie slings, etc.)
    2. OES MacCat Deluxe Tarp - with Grizz Beaks if the weather is looking windy/iffy. Around 16 oz with all stakes, tie-outs, etc.
    3. Warbonnet 3 season Yeti UQ (2/3 length, about 12-13 oz with stuffsack and suspension) or Hammock Gear Crow's Nest UQ (3/4 length) (about 16 oz with stuffsack and suspension). The Crow's Nest is a bit bigger and bit warmer than the Yeti.
    4. Western Mountaineering Sycamore Sleeping Bag (rated to 25 degrees). 2.2 lbs in "long" size.
    5. JRB Foam "torso" pad for leg/feet insulation. 6.5 oz.

The total weight for this setup is under 6 lbs. The cost for all that is more than your stated budget, but my guess is that you already have a sleeping bag. The tarp and hammock together is under $200. The UQ is likely to be your budget breaker if you buy (a) new and (b) down insulation.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast