WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

First Hang - Sorta...

I'm waiting for a WBBB, but I picked up a Grand Trunk Nano7 last week, and my Whoopie Sling suspension came last week, so this afternoon I sought the relatively cool air in a small grove of sycamore trees on the local college campus where I teach to see how whoopie slings and a very basic hammock worked. It wasn't a real over-night hang, just a test run, so to speak!

Outside the grove, the temperature was near 100F; under the trees, it was in the mid-eighties, with a light breeze. It only took me two tries to find a pair of trees at a distance the whoopie slings seemed to like. Dutch clips are wonderful! I love the way the whoopie slings adjust! In a very short time, much shorter than it takes to get a tent up, I was laying back (diagonal, left to right), my head on my Montbell inflatable pillow, reading my book! Lovely!

After a bit I realized I was missing on taking in the local context: overhead was as blue a sky as one ever sees in the Los Angeles area - clear, no clouds, no smog! Just clear blue sky! The roof above me was mostly sycamore leaves - a light green with a scattering of crispy brown, branches of yellowish green with peeling tan bark. A palm and two eucalyptus rounded out the overhead cover. There was a black phoebe intent on keeping down the flying bug population, two hummingbirds jousting for possession of the trees, and a flock of red-faced Amazonian parrots discussing who knows what in loud voices! (These are the descendants of escaped pets - a number of flocks range about the Los Angeles area.)Fantastic!

After an hour or so (I truly lost track of time!), I thought I should at least test the snoozing comfort: on a bed, I sleep on my side, primarily my left. I had no problem getting a very comfortable position on my left side, then my right side, then reverted to my back. I'm not sure I actually slept in any of them, but time certainly went by quickly! I don't see any problem with spending the night in a hammock, and it doesn't even compare with the discomfort of a pad on the ground!

Now I need to find a couple of fast growing trees to plant in my backyard, a little over 15 feet apart......

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    GREAT report! It's all downhill from here! Just wait till that BB gets there....
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Sounds like a very successful and rewarding first hang. Congrats!
    Terry

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Great test report. Welcome to the madness!

Be careful about planting fast growing trees, fast growing usually means quick dyeing.

There are plans for easy to build stands here, & plant Oaks or (faster growing but pretty long lived) Maples. My youngest hanging trees are about 15 years old. 3 are Oaks, 1 a plum tree, 1 Ash & a Mulberry. The smallest Oak is about 7" diameter at 20 years (give or take 2). My large Maple is not in a good position to hang from, but it is way sturdy at about 28 years old & 15" (at least) diameter.

Ginkgo trees have VERY soft bark, I don't hang from mine!

37 (over 4' tall) on 1/4 acre. I didn't plant one Blue Spruce & one apple tree.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts