Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

DIY Mummy UQ (a how to)

So I had this old synthetic mummy bag and I figured hey why not try this out if all else fails stick with the moving blanket. First off let me say I am no back packer I am a jeeper through and through. So I can pretty much carry all I can in the back of my jeep. So weight is not really a big thing to me. That being said, This is really great it took an amazing amount of disassembly the get what I wanted.

Here are the instructions as I did it. (sorry only pictures of the results)

1.) Seem rip the bit of length from the bottom of the zipper and rip the bottom off as well. Since mine is synthetic I had no worries of everything disintegrating on me it all stayed nicely together.

2.) Once you have the bag as flat as possible proceed to seem rip off the zipper and if you have a shoulder cinch gently rip that off too. Now you should have a mostly flat mummy bag with all the seems exposed.

3.) If you have an extra person to help you this is where you call them in. I recruited my Dad. Measure the length of the bottom of your bag since it tapers this is the widest you can make the Quilt. Mine was 45" wide. It is easier to measure from the center seem of the bag on either side to get it equal all the way down. You can use a washable marker or a sharpie. depending on the color of the bag you are suing or your preferences. Mine is red and black so a few sharpie marker lines didn't hurt anything. Get a long straight edge and mark the width all the way down the fabric. Know is the difficult part especially if you don't have very good scissors. Trim all the way down the sides use your partner to hold the other end of it helps.

4.) now you should have a rectangle from the remains of your old bag. This is where you need to make a decision. Do you want to add darts/pleats or keep it rectangle. I went the full enchilada and added three large pleats. they are about 1.5" so thye each pull in 3" i shortened the over all length of 66" to 57". To pu in a dart follow thes instructions http://www.denverfabrics.com/pages/s...wing-darts.htm I strongly suggest darts and trimming them because my sewing machine did not like sewing through pleats. It is a burly old singer older than me by twice.

When you have the body the way you want it (with or without darts) time to pin it closed.

5.) Before sewing the bag closed to need to add the suspension system. Mine consisted of a nylon channel along all four edges. it is easy once you have the edges pinned the way you want, close all the edges.

6.) All that is left now is to add your cord and hang it up

here it is

My cinching system is just two opposing slip knots comonly found on necklaces.

I used a bead and a large knot to keep the other end of my cord from slipping in

Inside

Outside

This is my first Hammock DIY though I have made may things this one is definitely and interesting one to construct.

Also I plan on making a pillow from the bottom of the hammock and a hood from the mummy hood.
    Last edited by samiam2714; 09-05-2010 at 12:29.

Hammock
    Eno SingleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*2/3 Zepplin
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Images
    Excellent idea, now I've got the wheels turning in my head to fashion an underquilt out of an old Coleman sleeping bag I don't use anymore.
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot" - Confucious

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.9 ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Great to hear it, and glad I could help.

I must say this nylon is ten times more difficult to sew than cotton and only twice as difficult as fleece (the really furry stuff) I just finished a new stuff sack for my sleeping bag and man It came out great but it took a lot of playing with my extremely simple dials.

Although a Thought just occurred to me, I am probably using the wrong thread. I have some 100% polyester stuff I bought about 6 months ago when I made new blankets for my dad brother and I.
    Last edited by samiam2714; 09-04-2010 at 23:21.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end / WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil/ M.O.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ 20*Pheonix
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopie slings
    You guys better watch out .. Or ya'll be in the DIYers 12 step program.. lol.. Great job. I'm doing diy peapod now, just about finished.. ETH..

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    12 step? Friends of RamblinRev meeting?

Nice looking UQ. One thing to note for others wanting to try this: Heavier sleeping bags don't work as well as light ones. The heavier bags don't draw together well at the ends. For that type, you might be better off sewing darts in to each end..

Quote Originally Posted by EastTexasHanger View Post
    You guys better watch out .. Or ya'll be in the DIYers 12 step program.. lol.. Great job. I'm doing diy peapod now, just about finished.. ETH..
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts