Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flackfizer View Post
    We have been covering this in another thread, but you are right to ask. The Florida park system bans hanging, but not all parks and trails are in the system. I don't know about the cross fla trail, but I am figuring it out. But as to having some sort of winter in Florida hike/hang? Hells yeah!
    The last I knew the Cross Florida was under state park regulations. THERE are many places to stealth camp.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    TFC--I had started a Florida "issues" thread, but I will start a First Annual Florida Hang thread to get the ball rolling.

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'm glad the ball is rolling. I did notice the other thread--maybe a mod can combine the two threads. Where I live ~close to 4000 feet~ by February I'll need a dose of warmth (though I've frozen in Fl. in May!). So at this point I hope the group hang site is close to the C-F-G (cross fl. greenway); that way if people want to actually hike before or after the group hang it will be geographically close.
    I went to second grade in Avon Park and my dad grew up there. There is a lot of wilderness in the state!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Great trip report! I have been wanting to go over that land bridge. Passed under it a bunch of times. Now that you posted this, it gave me some info so I can make it a reality one day. I love Dunnellon, mainly the KP hole, floating down the river there. Glad to hear thats about where you started. Watering up is the biggest challenge on the trail systems here. I would be interested in a group hang if I can get away from work. Cool stuff!

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It sounds like the best and most interesting parts of the trail were Pruit to Ross and Ross to 49 Ave. Is that your opinion?
    That was definately true for me although I think if you were to do the hike it would be a mistake to miss the Landbridge. It is a bit of an environmentalist's monument - one of the first of its kind. The section after the Landbridge is used a lot by mountain bikers (other trails but nearby). You don't get the sense of remoteness like with the earlier sections.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    How clearly marked is this baby? Is it one of those chopped up hard to follow thingers, or is it easy enough once you are on board?
    The trail is clearly marked throughout as it is part of the Florida National Scenic Trail. I am sectioning bits and ppieces of this trail as well (I hope to post a trip report from this weekend).

What about that horse water--did you pump it? I am guessing it can be used after that. Likewise--what other water sources?
    I spoke with a ranger on the phone ahead of time and he gave me some GPS coordinates of ranch wells that were converted to pitcher-pump wells just off the trail. I mostly used the water sources at the trailheads. Unless you know where these wells are there is NO water anywhere on this part of trail other than the trailheads (including surface water). I treated the horse water from tap - proabably would be okay to drink as is.

I marked up a decent one for Withalacoochie and left copies in baggies at the trailhead registration box.
    Withlacoochee is right down the road from me. I'll trade you well sites at the Greenway for a custom Withlacoochee map.

Tom

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Who's in for a winter hike?
    Count me in of course!

I'm sloshing through water up to my calves (and a ranger later told me the water was low!) I saw a snake swim across the trail. Near the beginning of the section hike I looked down into a ditch and saw 3 alligators (6-7 footers) sunning!
    This is Florida hiking in the summer. In the winter the reptiles hole-up so you do not see them as often. Usually on a sunny afternoon they'll come out to warm up. Sloshing through the swamp is what we have to put up with to hike here. So much of FL is developed that the available untouched areas are unbuildable. This is what is left to hike any distance. Most of the lands near me are low-lands managed by the water districts. It pretty much means there will be sections of trail under water.

Now a question for Damifino-can you hike/camp and hang along this greenway?
    Yes - you can camp anywhere in the greenway with a permit. The permit is free and you just have to ask for it. You also need a permit to park overnight at the trailhead parking lots. They are also free. The ranger suggested that I not park at the Landbridge trailhead because of some crime issues there so I chose the next one @ Santos. Santos has a campground and a "camp host" so there is someone on site all the time.

If you are on the FL Trail you can camp within sight of the trail anytime without a permit. I did not ask if you have to be a FT member (because I am not) but the rule may also include that.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iggy View Post
    I was one the founding fathers of the Mt. Bike Trail system there and omba.
    OMBA (Ocala Mountain Bike Association) is far more sucessful in the area than hiking. I saw a TON of bikers enjoying the trails there and NO hikiers. You started a resource that is continuing to do well.

Hammock
    BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Delux
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 - UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    TFC--I had started a Florida "issues" thread, but I will start a First Annual Florida Hang thread to get the ball rolling.
    I read some of that thread when I was planning. I am sad to report that much of it is true. According to the rangers at Rainbow Springs State Park, you cannot tie anything to a tree (including laundry). They wanted $32 to camp in the park (not to worry, the site has water, sewer, electric and I think cable and Wi-fi!) The State parks are a joke for pack-in campers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12