Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    That's good enough for me... I was worried about making it weaker than what was described in the discussion about breaking points.

Thanks, Opie, and everyone else who responded.
    Mike

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    And....they're done!

As advertised, they went quickly once I figured out what all my measurements needed to be.

Thanks to all for their help!
    Last edited by MikeN; 09-08-2010 at 22:17.
    Mike

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    9" is a little long for the fixed eye unless you're using larger line. I am comfortable with 9"-10" for the adjustable part, even though others have used less.. Amsteel is less than 40 cents per foot, no sense in cutting corners.

For a straight bury that needs to be stitched or whipped for low/no load condtions. ( No de-rating of the line.)
    For the fixed end, you bury 3 fid lengths of the tail/working part in 3-1/2 fid lengths of standing part. The reason for the diffenence is the standing part gets a little shorter becuase it spreads out/fattens up when the buried portion is inserted. A fid length is 21 diameters. I usually use 72 diameters (which is about 3.5 fid lengths) for the buried portion because that's the way I was taught. I think this is becuase the math is a little easier for larger line unless you are using an actual fid. Ex. 7/64 buries 7" in 7-7/8"

For the locked brummell that does not require stitching for low/no load conditions. (derate to 60%BS according to Samson 2008, but more recently about 80%)
    You can shorten it up some. It goes to 2 fid lengths buried in a little over fid lengths. I usually eyeball an extra inch. Ex 2 fid lenths buried in 2 fid lengths + 1 inch. It sucks up inside anyway.

If your using 7/64, a fid length is 2-1/3 inches.
    If your using 1/8, a fid length is 2-2/3 inches.

I frequently use whatever needle I'm using as a "fid length" as long as it's longer than the real fid length for the line I'm using. For example, most doll needles/upholstery needles/darning needles and other "non typical" splicing tools are 3" or longer, so I just use what I have in hand as the measuring device of a fid length since its' longer than neccessary.
    Last edited by nacra533; 09-08-2010 at 22:39. Reason: inches instead of feet

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Hi nacra -

The line length (circumference) for the fixed eye portion was 8". That worked out just about perfectly to larkshead around the WB whipping.

I went 10" on the adjustable bury - it's 1/8" amsteel, same as what came on the hammock (WB Traveler). Used a piece of cross-connect wire (24 ga) for the fid.
    Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123