Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 360
    Tarp
    SaphiRose 10x12
    Insulation
    ENO UQ/TQ

Hammock failed and two thumbs up for Ridge Outdoor Gear

An adventure of a start to my 2022 camping season. Went out for the first camping trip of the season last Friday April 1st and also experienced my first hammock fail (not an April fools joke).

Setup my Pinnacle 360 hammock, checked the angle of the hang, slowly sat down and riiiiiiiiiiip. I was sitting on the ground through the hole. Thankfully the first trip of the year was out of the car and not backpacking and I had a spare tent in the trunk. I didn't have anything in my pockets, no zippers on my pants, and it didn't touch the ground. Maybe something happened on a trip last year and I didn't notice? I even find that hard to believe because the last trip before winter was two successful nights. Overall used the hammock pretty frequently in 2021 without any issues and loved it.

I emailed them just asking about what may have caused it and got a quick reply back saying they'll send me a replacement as this is extremely rare (lucky me). Emailed them 4/2 and a replacement arrived today 4/7. That's pretty awesome. I'd had it over a year and honestly didn't expect anything and wouldn't have held it against them as I know **** can just happen.

Friday night had 16 degree wind chills, low of 25 overnight and I still stayed warm and slept a solid 8 hours as a filthy ground dweller without a sleeping pad or air mattress. I was jealous of a friend who also has a Pinnacle hammock and had no issues. Woke up Sunday morning to a beautiful winter wonderfland of everything covered in snow! Stayed at Tracy Ridge in the Allegheny National Forest which just opened for the season and we were the only two people there camping all weekend.

Just thought I'd share my bad luck and kudos for awesome customer service. Yea, it failed, but before buying I'd read enough from people who also owned one and enjoyed it. Friend I went with also has one like I mentioned and has used his a lot more than me in the same time frame without issues.

If anyone has any prevention tips I'm open to them or you can just point out my bad luck as well. lol.. overall I think it may have just been bad luck.

277584648_10166747195820604_921409695058347008_n.jpg

277588428_10166747195910604_4881813922831385717_n.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Impressive rip! Consolation prize is a night in a tent. I don't even want a night in a bed much less on the ground. Have avoided both for more than 5 years.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    Off-brand cheapo
    Tarp
    ALPS UL
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Stories like this led me to my local REI last night to buy a roll of Tenacious Tape to have in my bag. I am going out on the trail again soon, and I'd hate to get grounded.

Glad to hear of your good customer service experience, though. Always a plus! Got me looking, those are some good looking hammocks. Do you like the "lay flat design"?
    Last edited by Dragonhunter; 04-08-2022 at 07:35.
    Grace & peace,
    Dragonhunter
    No one sits around talking about that trip where it was 76 and sunny the whole time.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 360
    Tarp
    SaphiRose 10x12
    Insulation
    ENO UQ/TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonhunter View Post
    Got me looking, those are some good looking hammocks. Do you like the "lay flat design"?
    It's the only hammock I've ever owned for sleeping in so I don't have anything to compare it to but it's been the best sleep ever on my back so I'd say, yea, I like it!

I'm not sure tenacious tape would've helped. This was an almost full side to side rip by the time I was sitting on the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Ryan O’Neal said it best in Love Story (circa 1970), “Having a backup means never having to say you’re sorry."
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Yeah, they seem so strong until the’re not!

I have made a dog friend at a local park where I sometimes hang. He will run right up to me and hop in the hammock with me he’s so excited to see me. Probably helped that I have him part of my BLT the first time we met! .

I recently ordered a new Dream Hammock - just the basic Freebird in their 2.2 oz Hex 70 looking for a bit more security for those claws. Any reason for a new hammock - right!?!?

• + New Posts