WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Ive gotten down to 14 with a CCF pad & a "trucker's windshield". So, while an Underquilt is nice, it's not "Required". In fact, I still add a CCF pad for that extra something.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Ive gotten down to 14 with a CCF pad & a "trucker's windshield". So, while an Underquilt is nice, it's not "Required". In fact, I still add a CCF pad for that extra something.
    I'm with you on that. While it has many draw backs in a hammock, I still think a thick enough pad is the most certain and bombproof way to warmth. Back in the day ( a few years back now) when I was just learning all of the tricks of being warm in a HH SS below 20 or so, I finally used pads, a full length Ridgerest with a TR Ultralight torso length stacked on top, inside an SPE. With WM blue pad wings, all inside my trial Speer hammock. At ~20F, I was for the first time with out any anxiety about staying warm: I was toasty warm! This extra toasty back allowed me, for the 1st time, to use a bag as quilt and remain warm. It was a great night, and very educational!

The other night I was trying to use my Climashield "Yeti" with just one layer into the mid 40s, about where I considered it's limit to be. ( about a 10 oz torso synthetic quilt). But I was trying to use it on a JRB bridge, which it is really not designed to fit. I have always had questions and concerns about this UQ/hammock combo. I know it works, but I'm not sure I can get full warmth out of this combo.

So anyway, I finally had to get up somewhere near dawn to water bushes. I realized I was not quite warm, with maybe a few "cool" spots. Not enough to be a deal breaker, but not quite "warm" either. I started to just leave it alone and go back to sleep. But then I thought "what the heck" and slipped the WM blue torso pad into the BMBH pad pocket (BTW, I had nothing under my legs except a summer weight synthetic bag and was fine). Oh yeah, instant luxurious warmth. Even though only 20" wide, the UQ still took care of my shoulders. So this major warmth boost sent me off for several more hours sleep. I did not notice any changes with comfort after adding the pad, except for a big increase in warmth. ( course, a BMBH works so darn well with a pad!) I slept soundly for several more hours until every one in camp got up and started making noise, and Grandkids saying stuff to me like "PapaBill, did you sleep there ALL NIGHT? Weren't you cold?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12