Grand trunk ultra light
    Tarp
    10x8 blue tarp
    Insulation
    probly DIY
    Suspension
    two trees?

Hammock!

looking for a hammock but it gonna sound kind weird. well.. i want a hammock with a net and no zippers because i could see myself breaking it or snaging something in it also. i like my standard 10x8 blue tarp will it work with a hammock? ive seen hammocks that you climb under to get in or you hop right into it. which one would be better. oh yea how are spreader bars?

Hammock
    BB 1.7 Dbl, ENO SN, Switchback
    Tarp
    SWT, Diamond Fly
    Insulation
    Infl. Pad, Fleece
    Suspension
    Ring Bckl, Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyRadical View Post
    looking for a hammock but it gonna sound kind weird. well.. i want a hammock with a net and no zippers because i could see myself breaking it or snaging something in it also. i like my standard 10x8 blue tarp will it work with a hammock? ive seen hammocks that you climb under to get in or you hop right into it. which one would be better. oh yea how are spreader bars?
    You can always hang a separate line above your hammock and just drape some mosquito netting over that...no zippers.

The standard blue tarp can be used, I've used one many times. The drawbacks are weight and noise in the wind. You may start with it, but you will end up buying a quality tarp before long.

Top or Bottom entry? That is strictly a matter of preference. There are many who can offer more info than me. All of my hammocks, personal preference, are top entry.

Spreader bars...If it is a bridge hammock, I imagine they are mandatory (I have no experience with them). If you are referring to the spreader bars on a rope-style hammock, they raise the center of gravity of the hammock, which can lead to more rollouts. The ground is a cruel mistress.
    "I used to be sane, but now I'm better."

Hammock
    Grand trunk ultra light
    Tarp
    10x8 blue tarp
    Insulation
    probly DIY
    Suspension
    two trees?
    Quote Originally Posted by shrek View Post
    You can always hang a separate line above your hammock and just drape some mosquito netting over that...no zippers.

The standard blue tarp can be used, I've used one many times. The drawbacks are weight and noise in the wind. You may start with it, but you will end up buying a quality tarp before long.

Top or Bottom entry? That is strictly a matter of preference. There are many who can offer more info than me. All of my hammocks, personal preference, are top entry.

Spreader bars...If it is a bridge hammock, I imagine they are mandatory (I have no experience with them). If you are referring to the spreader bars on a rope-style hammock, they raise the center of gravity of the hammock, which can lead to more rollouts. The ground is a cruel mistress.
    thanks for the feed back that helped out with alot of my questions. but if i drape a net with the evil little flying critters get me?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Joey R.,
    Any net will need to treated with respect. It is netting after all, no matter how you slice it!
    Whether its draped, velcroed, sewn on, zippered on, or a big tube sock, you'll still have to use care when dealing with it. If you do damage it, it can be fixed easily.

If you buy some quality netting (the stuff is really pretty strong) it will hold up much better. Cheap netting is just that, cheap netting.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The classic HH has a integral bug net and bottom entry. There are new models that have a side zipper which have been as well received as HH can be on this forum. I'm a dedicated Hennessy user because I need the bottom entry to facilitate my mobility issues. My air force son spent the last three weeks in it in the backyard and loved it too. I will say the bottom entry gets old for some people pretty quick. Not for me or my son. But that is a consistent complaint. It is a "patented" design so bottom entry is only available on the HH models so equipped.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I never did understand how the tube works...you get in and pull the netting over you..meanwhile, a gazillion gnats are swarming around and get trapped inside with you???

with a zippered entry you don't have so much exposed space and can quickly zip up.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My wife and son both like the Hennessy entry style. I'm pretty ambivalent about it. I do like being able to reach out of the hammock for cooking and stuff, which is more difficult in the HH, and that's one reason I prefer the BB.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Have a Bear Mountain Bridge that I may be willing to part with. Bugnet is attached by velcro when you want it, stores when you don't. PM me if interested.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I've got a BugSock finished up in a gray noseeum (.96oz per sq yd.)
    Weighs 7.60 oz., Ridgeline is approx 105", Depth is 53"
    Price would be $60.00.
    Just let me know if you're interested.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast