right now, Byer Moskito
    Tarp
    what's in the shed
    Insulation
    crocheted blanket
    Suspension
    ropes.? Still new

Motion Sickness

I'm going to take a risk here and talk about something that is keeping me from sleeping in my hammock.
    I get motion sickness. Period.
    I have taken the hammock out 3 different times this year and each time end up either sleeping on the ground (not the best option) or in the back seat of my car (definately no longer an option).
    It has been suggested to me to guy it out using lines. I have gone over every inch of my hammock and there is just no where to place any grommets. I have an inexpensive (cheap) Byer Moskito Hammock and there is no room for grommets. I didn't want to invest a lot of money into something I would hate. The problem is that I love it. I just can't swing. lol
    Now, I know you're thinking what's the point of having a hammock if you get sick every time you get in it.
    Well, the point is that it's the most comfortable thing I've ever layed in. I put my big agnes in there and man oh man talk about feeling good.....that is until I start to swing. OMG! It's awful! I didn't make it out of the hammock the last time before getting sick on my dog. He wasn't real happy wtih me that night. LOL
    So....I'm desperate for suggestions. This is the only place I thought I'd get an answer to my dilemma...ask the experts!
    Thanks.
    unswydd

Images
    Maybe a couple grip clips? or sew on some tabs? with grip clips you could move them around to find the spot that works best, then maybe affix something more permanent.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could try something like a tarp clip to attach tie-outs to see if it makes a difference.

You may also be experiencing BPPV (Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo). If so, you should see an ENT physician for proper diagnosis and treatment. If it is BPPV, there are some fairly simple head movements (the Epley and Semont Maneuvers) that might address the dizziness.

Last edited by beep; 09-07-2010 at 16:40.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Others have had the same problem. I think using tie-outs at knee and shoulder (opposite sides) with good stiff tensioners, like loops of 3/16 shock cord, will damp the motion caused by getting into the hammock almost immediately. You can also replace (or augment) tie-outs with trekking poles attached at the same places and stuck in the ground under the hammock so they stick up at an angle and push the hammock edges out.

Hammock
    WWWB/ HH explorer/DIY
    Tarp
    HH hex / DIY
    Insulation
    BL mamba JRBnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    When I didn't have tieouts on my first hammock I would lean a trekking pole along side the hammock and would stop the swinging after i got in by just holding on to it against the ground.

Hammock
    right now, Byer Moskito
    Tarp
    what's in the shed
    Insulation
    crocheted blanket
    Suspension
    ropes.? Still new
    And I thought I was unique, wierd maybe too. lol Glad I'm not the only one that gets this. Good suggestions guys. Thanks a load! I knew there was a solution!
    Also, Beep, I think I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Try tying (Elastic) cords to the lines on the Bayer. I did it once & that pretty much stopped the swaying (I put em on to widen the hammock) It stopped it so much I took em off immediately.

I used 1/4 (may have been 3/8") inch bungee cords, on on each corner tied to TWO of the suspension cords, then to wire stakes in the ground. I pulled them just snug, so the hammock would move as I got in it, but "zero" & hold the hammock apart. It really didn't give me the extra room I was trying for, but did stop all motion.
    This was a ONE time test 5 years ago, so you may have to play with it a bit.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    Ginger Pills. Mythbuster tested, Mythbuster approved!
    oldgringo's reply to my worrying about owning extra hammocks:

How many pairs of underwear do you own? Do you refer to them as "extras", simply because you're not wearing all of them as we speak?

Hammock
    right now, Byer Moskito
    Tarp
    what's in the shed
    Insulation
    crocheted blanket
    Suspension
    ropes.? Still new
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Try tying (Elastic) cords to the lines on the Bayer. I did it once & that pretty much stopped the swaying (I put em on to widen the hammock) It stopped it so much I took em off immediately.

I used 1/4 (may have been 3/8") inch bungee cords, on on each corner tied to TWO of the suspension cords, then to wire stakes in the ground. I pulled them just snug, so the hammock would move as I got in it, but "zero" & hold the hammock apart. It really didn't give me the extra room I was trying for, but did stop all motion.
    This was a ONE time test 5 years ago, so you may have to play with it a bit.
    Sounds like something I may want to try tho. seems like a pretty good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukri View Post
    Ginger Pills. Mythbuster tested, Mythbuster approved!
    Really?! Well, I may have to try that too! Love your sig btw! LOL

Hammock
    HH Exp A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH 70D "HEX" PU
    6 or 8 foot lengths of shock cord tied to the head and foot ends of the hammock where tie outs attach. Similar to the Hennessy shock cord tie outs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast