Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    the bridge hammock is definately not for me neo
    Have you tried one? I got to lay in Grizz's bridge hammock and I was very impressed with how comfortable it is.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Waiting on that monster 1.9 oz order of ripstop we are anticipating to work out. Then it's time to build me a bridge.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    Pole pocket:
    I have made a pole pocket similar to what you have. I sewed it to the webbing on one side. The other was attached to a secondary piece of webbing that was sewn to the hammock body webbing. The pole goes between the webbing and seems to have no latteral forces. For the tip of the pole I placed 2" section of tubing in it with a hole drilled in one side for the tip to go into.
    i like the way you did the pole pockets.
    i can see how the handle pocket works, but i'm still not fully seeing or grasping how you did the tip pocket.
    what kind of tubing did you use? is it attached some way to the webbing or is it just held in place by the pole pushing against the hammock?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i like the way you did the pole pockets.
    i can see how the handle pocket works, but i'm still not fully seeing or grasping how you did the tip pocket.
    what kind of tubing did you use? is it attached some way to the webbing or is it just held in place by the pole pushing against the hammock?
    The support webbing on the sides of the hammock are 1/2" wide. I used the same webbing as the secondary support webbing to hold the 2" wide webbing for the tip and handle pockets.
    For the bottom of the tip pocket I use a short section of tubing with hole drilled in it for the pole tip to fit into. Sorry to say that it is a section of a treking pole I bent when I got a little wild and had a very wide spread with a single pole and bent it.
    The tube is held in place with a plastic zip tie. I replaced the black one with a white one so that it would show up better in the photos.
    The spreaders in this hammock are not at the ends. I'm wanting to keep the sided suspension as long as possible and move the spreader a little to the middle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that's great! very practical.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    OK, here is what I ended up going with to attach my hiking poles to my bridge. The tip end may have been a mistake, feel free to let me know if you think it won't hold.

On the handle end I used a webbing pocket (I used the 1" heavy polyester from strapworks for everything because I already had it, plus it was grey and matched the silver wallyworld ripstop). This end I think should be ok.

On the tip end, I first was going to use a ring with string attached like they use for those indian spirit catchers or dream catchers. Sometimes I use rubber tips on my poles so I thought they could just push against the string webbing. But there's nothing to hold them in place if you're not lying in the hammock so they just fall out. So instead I put a grommet in the suspension webbing. Yeah, I know this weakens the webbing, but its the thicker webbing so will it still be strong enough? I melted the hole with a soldering iron then put it the grommet. The loop on the outside of the grommet is similar to whats known as a "screamer" in climbing circles. If the webbing with the grommet fails, then the 2nd loop will pick up the tension, (the scream comes from me as the suspension drops a couple inches before the backup loop picks up the load).

I haven't hung in it yet, I have the last loop still to make. I had a rash of breaking needles trying to bar tack the double thickness of webbing. Oh, and speaking of technical difficulties, does anyone have a slick way for sewing the webbing "baskets". Sewing that last loop is tough, trying to get the rest of the webbing out of the way of the sewing maching. I actually had to use a speedy sticher (hand thingy for sewing lock stich on leather and stuff like that) for the last part.

More needles from Wallyworld tomorrow, then I'll finally get to try it out. I'll let you know how stupid an idea the grommets were
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    nice.
    I wouldn't put a hole in the 1/2" webbing I use, but I'd guess that you're fine using the 1" strapworks webbing. Not only is it twice as wide, it's thick. Needle-breaking thick

Grizz

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Help!
    OK I thought that when I hung the bridge hammock, I could just make a loop of cord from one side to the other (from the side with the hiking pole handle to the side with the hiking pole tip), then just clip it with a carabiner to the main suspension line, so the two sides would be self equalizing in length (brilliant - NOT). As you guys probably already know this is a bad idea! LOL When I try to get in, all the cord slides to one side and you can't get the thing level again without some major struggling, then once your level if you turn over, the cords slide and try to dump you out.

So my question is, what is the best way to do this? Seperate measured cords to a ring, then attach the ring to the main suspension line? I thought this would be the simple part but its harder than I planned, I wanted to make it simple to hang but not sure how to do it yet?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I used two seperate cords and went to 2 rings with a larkshead. This way I could use the garda hitch with the same ropes I use with my other hammocks. I want to add a ridgeline to mine and am considering doing it the way Grizz does it. He ties the up the ridgeline then clips the bridge into the ridge line. I think he described this in the bridge thread.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Zip XL
    Tarp
    MacCat deluxe
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I've read a bunch of comments about how big the triangle needs to be to protect the compression on the hiking pole, but I'm confused. When Grizz says 4' is that 4 feet from the corner (like the handle of the hiking pole) to the vertex (where it joins the main suspension line)? If so, then how far apart do the trees have to be, like 14 or 15' I guess? Or is it 4 feet from the handle end to the pointed end? I don't want to trash my hiking poles but I'd like to be able to hang from tress that are closer than 14' apart, is that possible?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast