Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

Roan Highlands--19E--->Carvers Gap

I'm doing little prep hikes getting ready for my long hike next month.
    Sat-Sunday of this week I'll be doing 19E-->Carvers Gap and Hanging near the Over Mountain Shelter Saturday evening if any one wants to go for a little hike-I've already arranged a shuttle for Saturday morning leaving my vehicle at Carvers Gap.
    This hike has a bit of elevation gain....3000 feet in the first three miles for a warm up to the top of Hump Mtn. then down and up and over Yellow Mountain, so its not exactly like walking at Disney. From Over Mountain to Carvers is, well up hill too BUT the last 3/4-1 mile is downhill. Tot. hike is 14 ish miles

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Just got back from doing this section over the holiday weekend, but did it NOBO instead. Lots of climbing, but a great hike with spectacular views. Definitely my new favorite AT section. Doc and I hung behind Overmountain Shelter for the night with no tarps, the shelter itself blocking most of the wind. Enjoy, Medicine Man, hope you have a great hike!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    thanks Hooch!
    since this is my backyard almost literally I've done it a few times before and in all directions...it's a section I never tire of.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I was stunned my the views on this section and would happily walk it again. Maybe some time in the spring, we can catch up and hike it. The climbs were a booger, but totally worth it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Back to the ground.
    Tarp
    Yukon Outfitters
    Insulation
    ONETIGRIS UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/toggle
    weird, was just thinking about doing this section again but if i do it won't be until thanksgiving. done it twice now, once in each direction from 19E all the way to/from Hughes?Gap on the other side of Roan.

was just up there in March as well to do Carvers to Overmountain and back but didn't make it as we lost the AT!!! literally! one minute we're able to just barely see an AT marker on a tree just barely sticking out of the snow and then no more markers.... had to stay at stan murray shelter which had 5 foot+ drifts on each side of it.

doll flats seems like the perfect hanging site......
    'I Want to See Mountains Again, Gandalf!'

Hammock
    HH ULB, ENO
    Tarp
    DIY, ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    This is my favorite section of AT in north carolina. I hung my hammock in the little patch of trees on Little Hump one year and seen one of the best meteor showers I would estimate around 40 a hour at least. Pitched my hammock outside of Roan Mountain shelter a few winter back it got down to -20 oh how I love the winter.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I'd love to do that one! I wish I were caught up with work!

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    i did that section twice this summer....awesome! my favorite part of the AT so far!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    When I was on Katahdin I ask 6 thru's to name 5 mountains they remember. The Roan Highlands was one that all named, along with the Greyson Highlands and Francononia Ridge. Another common mention was Max Patch---so anywere you can see in all directions in great distance for miles and miles.
    I've used Roan either SoBo or Nobo for my training hikes for years. Either direction kicks the arsus but you (if weather is good) have great rewards.
    The African steer with the 8-9 foot span of horns is a bonus; the warden's cabin if NoBo from Hughes or Iron Mtn.Gaps is the highest shelter on the AT....it is always cool exept when in the sun. Hump is my favorite mtn. on the AT, seen from the north(I-26 fromg Kingport to Johnson City) its like a giant wave getting ready to crest.
    It's also one of the few places in the US where two National Trails intersect.
    Last year I went to Kings Mountain in a Revolutionary War sweep including Cowpens, Moore's Creek, and Guilford Couthouse. I was amazed thinking the frontiersmen/hillbillys walked all the way and across the Roan Highlands to kick British arsus.
    Again, if any are game be at Carvers Gap Saturday morn--the shuttle is already paid for. You're gauranteed to burn a few calories and get to hang in an awesome spot. You'll also see the MacIX HammockSock in action along with 4Dogs Esbit burner.
    Personally I'm dialing in a new MLD Super Exodus which may make the cut for Vermont next month.

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Dang Robert! Good news, bad news. My contract got extended so I can afford to go. Bad news, I'm on call this weekend. Hope we can share a trail again some other time.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

• + New Posts