Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

more tree hugger defects

I almost forgot about this. There had been a previous thread a few months ago about someone's HH tree huggers wearing thru in the loop/rope contact area. At Neo's Tenn gathering, Skinnybadger showed up with his brand new, never slept in HH ULBP. After one set up and one night sleep, the next morning his tree huggers were worn to the point of not being safe for another hang, IMO.

I think TH has a real quality control issue with this that needs to be addressed immediately. It's good that Skinnybadger was not already 10 miles in on a week long trip. And it's good that he found it before he was dumped on the ground.

After a little over a year, my tree huggers still do not show this problem. But, I have used carabiners for most of that time, though not the first few months.

Images
    My understanding (and this could be mistaken) is that these are made overseas in Asian low cost centres... The most common problem with such manufacturing locations is quality control... or more specifically, lack of it.

The result is products run the gamut from great to crap without any indication or which is which.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have had thin rope/guy line cut webbing when it's pulled through the webbing to fast. I know HH use different sizes of support lines on different models. If the support line on his ULBA is they same size as mine was, it's pretty thin and would be very capable of cutting or damaging the webbing in the way I described.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

What is the material one would use to make tree hugger straps. Where do you get it? I've previously stated that I'm not much of a DIY-er but that looks like a project simple enough even for me. I could hand sew the box-stitches.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    A lot of people are using the 1" polypro straps (webbing) sold by Ed Speer. I've heard that if you ask, they will even sew the loop on the end for you.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

nylon webbing - same stuff used for rock climbing

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The nylon has been known to stretch. The polypro doesn't stretch nearly as much.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I almost forgot about this. There had been a previous thread a few months ago about someone's HH tree huggers wearing thru in the loop/rope contact area. At Neo's Tenn gathering, Skinnybadger showed up with his brand new, never slept in HH ULBP. After one set up and one night sleep, the next morning his tree huggers were worn to the point of not being safe for another hang, IMO.

I think TH has a real quality control issue with this that needs to be addressed immediately. It's good that Skinnybadger was not already 10 miles in on a week long trip. And it's good that he found it before he was dumped on the ground.

After a little over a year, my tree huggers still do not show this problem. But, I have used carabiners for most of that time, though not the first few months.
    yes it was brand new and never been out of the bag till i took it out and helped him hang it neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The issue is not quality but design.... every climber knows not to put a line thru nylon ( or poly for that matter) as it will wear thru in a single descent.... under constant weight, with a swaying tree, lots of toss and turn , 3-4 bath room breaks, etc, all make motion that has the spectra line cutting the loops.... Best answer is to have a biner in the system or check and replace frequently.

Within weight specs, on mature trees and tight lashings to begin with the wear can/should be quite minimal...Point is that all hanging gear wears and should be frequently inspected.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

I questioned, a few weeks ago, the coincidental country of manufacture of our hammocks. It collapsed into politics; this is not politics, it is where is my hammock made and can I choose to purchase a hammock based on what I feel is important?

The yahoo site ignored me, twice. Even the catalogs indicate [ Import ] why don't our hammock manufacturers ?

What has torpeodoed my question, in the past, was the politically incorrect observation that Chinese made items are dubious and often crappy. I'm sorry, I retract that!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast