Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hanging without straps and rope damage

Is there any concern about damaging the hammock rope when using it to directly wrap around the tree without straps?

over time abrasion will wear down the sheathing. but the rope will usually do more damage to the tree than the other way around

Images
    As Kohburn said the biggest issue is damage to the tree. Its possible to kill a soft barked tree by a rope cutting into the under bark layer all the way around.

Even if you don't do it all the way around the damage weakens the tree and makes them more susceptible to insect and disease invasion. Again potentially killing the tree.

Better to use webbing as some sort of tree strap to prevent this sort of damage. Not to mention the webbing stays put better than rope. 2-3 wraps of webbing and you don't even need to do anything to hold it there.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Plus, as discussed in another thread, some park officials will give you heck for hanging with ropes. Others may be more forgiving about the webbing.

Images
    PLUS....

The damage to the trees is the underlying motive for the "heck" giving... So the more proactive we are at protecting the trees the less officials are likely to be concerned enough to be handing out the "heck".

And there's no wear on ropes.
    So many projects, So little time....

Images
    Hammock manufacturers should promote the use of straps to protect their economic future. If activist tree huggers see hammock camping as a threat they will move regulatory agencies to ban tree hanging.

Individual users should learn to use straps for both the hammock and, if tied at a different height, the tarp. Although it can be argued that the tarp puts little or no stress on the tree bark, people who are concerned about anything hanging from a tree will be just as upset by the tarp rope as the hammock rope.

I'll bet if the leaders of an influential outdoor organization like the Adirondack Mountain Club (of which i am a member) got a stick up their a@# about ropes around trees, they could induce the NYS DEC to enact a regulation prohibiting tree hanging. If tree hangers don't take affirmative action to educate both hangers and non-hangers, then we may soon find ourselves using our hammocks for nothing but backyard lounges.

Images
    i doubt any tree will ever die from damage ocured by a tarp line. the bsa and other lnt organizations have been setting up tarp ridgelines for cooking tarps and such for years, and i've never heard of anyone being concerned about tree damage from such activity. but, just b/c it doesn't cause damage, doesn't mean someone can't claim that it does.

isn't bear bagging still widely accepted? this is way worse than even hanging without tree straps, as the line saws into the bark of the tree as the weighted bag is raised and then lowered again in the morning.

tree straps should definately be used for the suspension, but for a tarp, might be pushing it.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 10-31-2007 at 21:08.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i doubt any tree will ever die from damage ocured by a tarp line. the bsa and other lnt organizations have been setting up tarp ridgelines for cooking tarps and such for years, and i've never heard of anyone being concerned about tree damage from such activity. but, just b/c it doesn't cause damage, doesn't mean someone can't claim that it does.

isn't bear bagging still widely accepted? this is way worse than even hanging without tree straps, as the line saws into the bark of the tree as the weighted bag is raised and then lowered again in the morning.

tree straps should definately be used for the suspension, but for a tarp, might be pushing it.
    I've recently taken to attaching my tarp line to the carabiner that holds my straps around the tree. I've also been attaching the line that suspends my netting (Claytor hammock) to the CC buckles that adjusts my straps.
    Less line is needed with both applications and everything is in direct line with the hammock. I'm also using figure 9s with both. I love this system.

Miguel

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    I'm no arborist but I would think the opposite true, that damaging the trunk would be much worse than a single branch. I'm not disagreeing that both seem bad for the tree though.

I'm guessing that whatever we do in the wild can be detrimental.

[rant]

Worse than bear bagging or hanging your hammock from a tree though would be the flight or the drive to the woods and the lifestyle and infrastructure in place that allows us to head to the woods for 'recreation'. (what are we re-creating anyways?)

In principle we should LNT. But if that were true we ought to look for the big changes we can make to care for our wild places and our planet. The world would be a different place if we practiced LNT in our jobs, lives, homes...

Fighting over the right to hang from a tree is like trying to save grams, when we have many tons of work to do that could have larger impacts over the longer term!

Sympathy for the park officials though, for sure. I just wish they'd limit the gas guzzlers and the RVs before they limit folks walking around with relatively friendly gear - Rock climbing has certainly taken this route - improving with technology to leave rock faces and mountains in better shape than years ago... (primarily climber driven, I think) but along with technology has come the ability for many many many more people to "head to the great outdoors" - and that brings it own problems - trash on Everest (and every mountain!), roads in wild places, cars everywhere, jet contrails in the sky no matter how far away I seem to get... cell phone towers, etc. etc.

[/rant]
    Last edited by bmike; 11-02-2007 at 11:06.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast