Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    dant8ro, I'm just wondering why you didn't go to Dutch first before posting this in the forum? Some of the possible speculation could have been avoided that way.

I'm going to hang on my Dutch clips this weekend with complete confidence

Quote Originally Posted by dant8ro View Post
    Hi all, I just got back from a 5 day trip into Algonquin park. I hung on my shiney new dutch clips for 3 nights and on the fourth day I was showing a friend my blackbird when snap the dutch clip poped and he ended up on the ground. I could only find one small shard of the clip after searching for some time. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. I hung the clip on my stock warbonnet suspension facing the ground like an upside down U with the hooks around the webbing. I snuged it up to the tree... I don't see what could have gone wrong. They're rated for like 1000 lbs and my buddy weighed 225. Help!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Watching this one with interest. Great bit of kit but I still have my krabs handy if I need to swap them.

Judging by their popularity it must be a one off, some gone a bit amiss during the manufacturing process.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Wow!!!!!!!!! After reading all of these comments I am still going to order me several pairs of the DC's anyway. I am not the lightest person by any means and I still want to use them for ease of set up on my suspensions. I know that they are not made out of "Unobtainium" (?!X chemical symbol) but they are a great product. This is the first reported failure that I have read and I try to read the posts on this site everyday. I look forward to using this product and know that if it does fail then I will be taken care of by the inventor and manufacturer. They both stand behind the product and are will to work with the purchaser, that is better than most seller do!!!

To the poster who had the "welded" cinch buckle failure.............the weld is always stronger than the area of metal around it. This area has been fatigued.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbamaguy View Post
    ...the weld is always stronger than the area of metal around it.
    Not my welds!
    I'm a terrible welder. I'm excellent with an cutting torch, though!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    Closing thought: All decisions in hammock suspension are compromises. Some have wondered about the perceived "overkill" in the strength of UIAA-rated 'biners. And many here are searching for the last gram to shave from their rig. While DCs have been tested and used for many hang-nights they are at the cutting edge of the strength vs weight spectrum. While failures are very uncommon, it might be expected to have one (or some) at that cutting edge.
    Good point. Professional riggers have a 10-to-1 rule of thumb they often use when human safety is at risk. And the whole rig is only as good as its weakest point. And that is not its weakest at how it is hoped to be configured and aligned, but at any configuration or alignment it might slip into, even if one is tempted to say "Oh, that will never happen!" "Perceived overkill" is a good way of putting the mistaken mindset that justifies cutting too many corners too closely, which is just asking for failure ultimately.

Due to the dynamics and physics involved, it most assuredly is not as simple as "I weigh x and the line/hardware is rated to x-plus-y, so I'm okay."

Nevertheless, all life is a matter of balance and of taking risks and (as was pointed out) compromises. It's just good (IMHO) to take informed risks based on educated judgments. Many threads on HF discuss the issues of effective hammock rigging forces, with charts and formulas and drawings and with simple, "common sense" explanations.

Thank goodness there was no injury this time, but this is a reason I never hang over rocks, big roots, and the like. Unexpected failures are to be expected. Be cautious (or not) when you start compromising your safety. HYOH.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've had decending rings, tri-rings, line, and webbing fail on me. When trying to go lightweight, things are bound to fail along the way. I haven't abandoned faith in rings, line, or webbing just because I had a few bad experiences.

I was told once that I became a true hanger after I landed on my butt for the first time. Taking a spill from a hammock for whatever reason is just part of the experience IMO. When nobody is hurt in the process, it's just all that much better. Seriously, who wants to sit around a campfire and listen to your camp buddies telling stories of the night they slept like a log in their hammock? In that spirit, welcome to true hanger status dant8ro!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wouldn't using two Dutch clips, each oriented opposite the other, negate the gateless design and greatly increase overall breaking strength?

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Quote Originally Posted by Rug View Post
    Please forgive my horrible graphics skills. I am just trying to get an idea across. This illustration shows (poorly) the good and bad way to attach the dutch clip.

I have hung both ways, but the method that keeps the line the straightest has the least amount of stress on the DC.
    Thanks bud, thats what I was trying to say earlyer.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    OK I know I am new to this form,BUT if you get an item at a store and it doesn't work or breaks right away don't you just take it back and get another one? As was said before thank god no one got hurt, so lets brush off the embarrassment and get some new ones and be done with this . I'm sure Dutch will take care of everything. Nothing is 100% perfect and foolproof.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm not concerned. Gear can fail for a number of reasons.

I'll start to worry if I read about other failures.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast