Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Indoor Setup Do-Over

So I just did a indoor hang with two lag eye bolts in studs. I gave a test pull on each end with a rope, the lag eye bolts had play in them and I heard a nice creaking noise, Sketchy. Time for a Do-Over. I am a just getting my feet wet on this site and have checked out many posts on indoor hang variations. I am considering putting a 2X8 across three studs with deck screws, getting longer forged lag eye bolts and using the holes from the previous lag eye bolts by going through the middle of the 2X8 and into the center stud with the previous holes. I would do a different setup in a entirely new place, but I live in a tight space and can only hang it in this area. I was also thinking that the integrity of the stud would be in jeopardy if I left the holes from the previous lag eye bolts open and made new ones or used pad eyes on the 2X8's. Thoughts?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Go through the ceiling rafters if you can. Walls really aren't designed for the forces a hammock will put on them. The ceiling is going to be much stronger, particularly if you hang the hammock inline with the rafters. I used to hang from wall studs, but I figured I had pushed my luck long and hard enough; built a stand. Now we hang from the ceilings, so do the hammocks in the guest room.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

kuhnsey, consider a hammock stand.

So I checked my space constrictions and I do not have enough space to hang from the ceilings. I have 12ft wall to wall to hang and guess I need about 22ft to hang from rafters. I also do not have the room to walk through my room to the bathroom if I set up a vario stand. Is there any solid collapsable stands for sale or a link to a DIY one? If push comes to shove do you guys think I could get away with the 2X8 idea?
    Thanks everyone.

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    I like the 2x8 or even 2x6 screwed into 3 studs; with that I would probably not screw the lag bolts into the middle stud. Try to spread the load over the 3 studs intead of mostly on the middle. Makes sense to me, but then again, I was a history major and I did not spend last night at a Holiday Inn Express!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    8x10 made by me
    Insulation
    JRB winter UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Why do you need 22 feet from the rafters? 12 ft should be enough? How long is your hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnsey View Post
    So I checked my space constrictions and I do not have enough space to hang from the ceilings. I have 12ft wall to wall to hang and guess I need about 22ft to hang from rafters.
    That might be enough room. Our guest room isn't too terribly larger than those dimensions with ceilings roughly the same. We use some lengths of chain hanging from the ceiling to attach the hammocks. The chain effectively brings the ceiling down to a realistic height. 12' is going to be close, but unless you have very high ceilings I believe it's still doable. Our Mayan hammocks that usually hang in the guest room are about 11-12' long (fabric length) and I doubt I've got the anchors set more than 14' apart. Don't forget the hammock sag when you're doing your measurements. A hung hammock isn't going to be anywhere near as long as the fabric length specs.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Corner to corner works great.. Just a loop of seat belt material sandwiched between the aluminum plates, hitting both studs..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

Jee

Quote Originally Posted by jeepcachr View Post
    Why do you need 22 feet from the rafters? 12 ft should be enough? How long is your hammock?

There was a big thread from two months ago (Gen Hammock forum on HF), mine actually, with plenty of input (KNotty, Grizz Adams, Pedro, etc) and 12 feet is not enough. It is indeed 20+ feet from rafters for a good hang. I know, I didn't believe it either, but they shot me down with a ton of mathematics and stuff and I left with a 'shiner", but a better appreciation of hammocking (and my ignorance).

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkayaker1 View Post
    There was a big thread from two months ago (Gen Hammock forum on HF), mine actually, with plenty of input (KNotty, Grizz Adams, Pedro, etc) and 12 feet is not enough. It is indeed 20+ feet from rafters for a good hang. I know, I didn't believe it either, but they shot me down with a ton of mathematics and stuff and I left with a 'shiner", but a better appreciation of hammocking (and my ignorance).
    Well, the math is wrong. There are always variables to be exploited. I can prove it as soon as I get home tonight.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast