Hammock
    Home Built: Gathered End
    Tarp
    6x9 WalmartSpecail
    Insulation
    None, Arizona duh
    Images

Button-On UQ?

Ok, so I know I need some type of bottom insulation, I have used a pad and an air mattress. I even, when car camping, tied a heavy wool blanket with some mason line and bungees which worked real well. But I don't like all the lines and cords and bungees idea.

When I was getting in my hammock and I snaged a button from my cargo shorts on the edge which gave me this idea.

Could I sew a pattern of buttons (10-12) around the hammock's "sweet spot" and attach a custom make UQ, if I dart it correctly is should work, right? In the summer I could take it off and the buttons shouldn't get in the way, they would be underneath. I haven't tried this yet, I searched the forum and found very few with the words button. (For the gram weenies, I think you can get titanium buttons)

Here are my questions:
    1. Will it weaken it to a point of ripping it out?
    2. Does the UQ need to move around as you adjust your positions?
    3. Will it Gap to much?
    4. How far up the side do I take it?
    5. Has anyone sewn (sewed?) anything like a button on a hammock?

Simple Diagram

Glamar
    Really I just need a reason to use my thread injector's buttonhole attachment?

Never give up what you want most for what you want now.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    In theory I think it would to a degree. The problems I see is that to get the quilt tight enough under it, that once in it, your weight may compress the insulation and you'll lose some of the warmth. And if it's too loose, then air gaps. It's always nice to have the movability of the quilt, but if it's positioned right, then it would work. It's a slightly similiar idea to an insulated hammock with more adjustability. Just Jeff has a write up on his website about his.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glamar View Post
    Could I sew a pattern of buttons (10-12) around the hammock's "sweet spot" and attach a custom make UQ, if I dart it correctly is should work, right? In the summer I could take it off and the buttons shouldn't get in the way, they would be underneath. I haven't tried this yet, I searched the forum and found very few with the words button. (For the gram weenies, I think you can get titanium buttons)

Here are my questions:
    1. Will it weaken it to a point of ripping it out?
    2. Does the UQ need to move around as you adjust your positions?
    3. Will it Gap to much?
    4. How far up the side do I take it?
    5. Has anyone sewn (sewed?) anything like a button on a hammock?

Glamar
    Really I just need a reason to use my thread injector's buttonhole attachment?
    Glamar,
    Good questions! I'd like to know other people's answers also, especially to #s 2, 3 & 4. I think for some of the attachments you might replace the buttonhole (sorry) with a small loop of shock cord to go around the button or a small toggle.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Personally I don't think it'll work. When I lay on the diagonal, one side of the hammock moves uphill. With a button on quilt, the hammock would pull the quilt as well.
    As mentioned, keeping it snug and draft free would be a dilemma.
    Sewing buttons to the body of the hammock seems like it would weaken an important structural element of the hammock.
    The hammock fabric moves in a lot of crazy directions as you move around, I can't envision how the quilt would follow...Probably not well.
    my 2 cents.
    Shockcord works and allows adjustability from hammock to hammock, a button quilt would be hammock specific, or every hammock you have needs buttons...and you can't have just one hammock.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Yeah, structurally, the button idea would be pretty damaging to the fabric, but if you could find an adhesive to connect the attachment points, then that would eliminate that problem. The other problems I pointed out though would still exist I would think. Nice idea though. Love to problem solve.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It may be that I am just a fumble fingers but the idea of buttoning on the UQ seems extremely cumbersome. The shock cord route is much simpler and for me easier to implement. Should you want to sew buttons on to the hammock I would suggest a reinforcement patch sewn on at each attachment point. Perhaps 2.5" square or something like that to help spread any tension.

There are techniques for using buttons on thicker fabrics that you can find on finer quality winter coats and high quality suit coats. One is to use a "shank" button which has a "prong" that you sew through on the back of the button. This effectively hides the thread and allows the button to handle the thicker fabric. There is another hand sewing technique which creates the shank by leaving a space between the button and the base fabric. Thread is then wrapped around the "shank" to encase it. I can't describe it any better and I have never mastered the technique.

The last thing to remember is you want the button to be the weakest link in the chain no matter what you do. You want the button thread to fail before you rip the fabric. Of course that means if the button threads fail in the woods on ground covered with two inches of pine needles or autumn leaves you can kiss your button goodbye or plan on spending a lot of time crawling around on the ground trying to find the silly thing.

Hang your own hammock... but I like the shock cord myself.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think it would work ok. Not great, but ok. Two issues I see.

First, the one gargoyle mentioned. The quilt does move around a bit as you shift. It would still keep you warm, but it wouldn't be optimal and I'd be concerned about creating air gaps if the fit wasn't perfect, and about damaging the material.

Second, your hammock fabric will stretch over time. This happened on my DownHammock. (Still a good design, IMO...just might have to make a new one every couple seasons...but it's simple enough to do.) So this means that your perfectly-positioned buttons won't be perfectly-positioned next year.

However...I think these will be easy to overcome with a slight modification of your plan.
    1 - Sew grosgrain loops around the hammock where you want the quilt to attach.
    2 - Sew single shockcord lengths, probably 12" or less, to the quilt...locations will match up to the grosgrain loops.
    3 - Slide a cordlock onto the shockcord and tie a knot into the end so it can't slide off.

To attach the UQ, just use the cordlock like a toggle by sliding it into the grosgrain loop. Only now you can adjust the UQ by sliding the cordlock up and down the shockcord. This will give it some flexibility for moving around in the hammock, will allow you to tighten or loosen the UQ based on expected temps, and will compensate for any hammock stretch.

Was that clear? I may be able to draw it or make a quick prototype of one attachment this weekend if needed.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I like JustJeff's idea.

It solves the problem of stretching of the hammock material relative to the UQ.

When I read your OP my first thought was "How you gonna keep the UQ tight against the hammock body?" It appeared to me that some buttons were going to come under excessive tension, while others would be slack as you moved around. JJ's idea seems to solve thos problems. Or just go with the tried-and-true suspension systems used by other UQ manufacturers.

Jim

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    What about using velcro instead?? And have it in strips instead of just a spot like a button. Velcro would need to be sewn on the inside layer of the under quilt before the quilt is put together. shock cord could still be used too.

Hammock
    Home Built: Gathered End
    Tarp
    6x9 WalmartSpecail
    Insulation
    None, Arizona duh
    Images
    Great feedback, apparently I don't spend enough time in my hammock. you guys are great if not a little odd.

Thanks

Glamar

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast