Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    you mean replacing netting baffels with syn insulation to keep the down from migrating to the bottom? not sure i follow
    yep, instead of sewing in the netting baffles, the 2" wide strips of synthetic insulation would be attached to both the shell & the liner by quilt loops.
    this would from the long chambers for the down.

i don't know that it would really have much or any advantage though???
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I am in the process of making something along these lines in a 2 layer hammock. The bottom layer is more like a permanent quilt. I am using down on the sides and a pad for the center of the hammock. The pad will go between the layers. I could drop straight to the ground with this setup and still use the down insulation on the sides. The bottom will have a pocket under the pad that I can insert clothing etc if I need more insulation. I could insert some Climashield XP in the bottom pocket to have a fully insulated hammock. I found out a cool thing too, I can divide the bottom pocket into two sections and use the smaller section to make its own stuff sack similar to how many jackets store in thier own pocket.
    Last edited by hangnout; 10-31-2007 at 22:53.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I am in the process of making something along these lines in a 2 layer hammock. The bottom layer is more like a permanent quilt. I am using down on the sides and a pad for the center of the hammock. The pad will go between the layers. I could drop straight to the ground with this setup and still use the down insulation on the sides. The bottom will have a pocket under the pad that I can insert clothing etc if I need more insulation. I could insert some Climashield XP in the bottom pocket to have a fully insulated hammock. I found out a cool thing too, I can divide the bottom pocket into two sections and use the smaller section to make its own stuff sack similar to how many jackets store in thier own pocket.
    sounds pretty interesting. i've thought that having a pad sleeve w/ insulation on the sides (where the ccf inserts are on a SPE) would be good because even though you would compress that inside insulation anywhere you pressed against it, it would act as a draft tube, filling in any voids between you & the hammock & around the edges of the top quilt. keep us informed if you do that.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    That does sound interesting. The only thing that bothers me about it is that in the summer it might be a bit of overkill.

I'd like to be able to add or remove layers based on the predicted weather, which the 2 layer hammock does to a degree, except I'd like a "bare-bones" ability to strip everything out when it's really hot.

I'm thinking along the lines of an SPE type thing (except as an underquilt), with a middle rectangle insulated with down with synthetic "wings". Or the reverse of that, with synthetic in the rectangle and down in the wings. The more down you have, the more compressible it should be.

Just read WBG's post. (oops). Baffle-less might work above, if the rectangle were small enough...
    Last edited by NCPatrick; 11-01-2007 at 07:16.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well, this might not go anywhere, it is much easier to just buy and use one insulation or the other...

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Well, this might not go anywhere, it is much easier to just buy and use one insulation or the other...
    Sure it'd be easier but what's the fun of that?
    Seriously though, your original point about saving some cost by relegating down to the vital areas is a interesting one I think. And as far as not going anywhere, I think the thread has already gone in three very interesting directions actually:
    1. Down/Synthetic hybrid with down strategically placed and separated by baffles.
    2. Down/Synthetic hybrid with down layer and synth layer.
    3. Down/Synthetic hybrid utilizing synthetic insulation as baffles
    Thanks for starting it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hey, that's true. That's what makes this place so interesting. Maybe one idea will spark another.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Images
    I'd say that I'd consider options 1 and 2 as most reasonable...

For me 3 seems like a dead end. A synthetic insulation baffle is going to be weaker, MUCH bulkier and likely as heavy or heavier than a fabric baffle whether mesh or solid. You don't sacrifice insulation value with a fabric baffle because its so thin, so there's no benefit there either.

OK in talking I found one potential reason... Synthetic insulation is stiffer than fabric or down so it could hold the layers apart better and reduce compression of your down fill allowing you to make the most of it. That is less weight of down needed to get the loft you want, so it'd be cheaper than "over stuffing" to get extra loft from the down.
    So many projects, So little time....

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    That does sound interesting. The only thing that bothers me about it is that in the summer it might be a bit of overkill.
    Yeah, I am making this for the winter hangs. I have plenty of hammocks for warmer weather. (My wife says too many )

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12