Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need Help, hammock for a 2 year old...

Howdy all,
    My wife and I usually do some type of bicycle tour. With the addition of our little one who is now almost a year and a half we are confidant enough to begin the planning stages of a multi week bike tour (Oregon Coast).

We hate the idea of sleeping in a tent. We've been hammockers for 3 years now and dread the idea of going back. Our issue is with the youngin. Can the HF Collective please help me figure out what to make for my son? I'm thinking a double layer with a zip in bug net. I'm just worried about he falling out and making getting stuck and smothering himself. He runs around like crazy and everything, but it still just worries me (I'm a total worry wart with him).

Ideas? Any experience out there? He's a light 22 pounds right now.

Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Homemade is a very viable option. Check out one version here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=19804

When hanging it for the little guy, just remember one of our (pretty much our only) hard & fast rules: DON'T HANG HIGHER THAN YOU ARE WILLING TO FALL! Besides, it will make it easier for him to get in & out, you know, that feeling of being "All Grown Up!"

And teach him how to get in & out, He will get the HANG of it soon enough, my 27 month old grandson has been able to do the hammock thing since 22 mos, so, by the time of the ride, Yours will be more than able to get in & out of the hammock on his own.
    I pretty much don't let my grandson in my hammock, NO I'm not mean! Cant get the little monster out of it. Dad (so far) wont let me put one in Nick's room. But I'm working on it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I made a hammock for my young one a while back too. First off, I would cut down the width a bit for him. A full width hammock swallowed my daughter up. Another option would be tie outs on the hammock itself.

I second your idea of a permanent bug net with a zipper. That way if he did try and crawl out, he would not fall out or in between the hammock and the underquilt (if your using one).

A few ideas to get you thinking anyway.

Doc
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    I just saw a post recently that had a hammock for his daughter. I think it was called "don't let your kids see this" or something like that. it was a great little hammock with a tarp over it and the tarp was matched to the hammock. I have to say it was a very nice setup for a child..

Thanks for the advice. That was kind of what I was thinking (hanging low and cutting it down).

What width/length do you think would be appropriate? I'm not to worried about him out growing it as I can just make another one down the road.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    P.s just got the name of that link( Warning; Do Not Let Your Little Girl ) it is on the third page now

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    2 years old? A large stuff sack should do... just use a hot paperclip to melt some air holes...

Personally? A kid that small could do with a simple hammock. Given his size, I'd almost make it all out of ripstop with a couple of bugnet windows, just in case he's a bit rowdy...

Forget the zipper, it'll snag, go with omnitape or velcro, easier for him to operate, and you'd know when he's trying to escape...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    You could do much worse than model your hammock after this http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog...Trek-5p689.htm

It's made to sit in (for adults) and should fit your child as a sleeping hammock no problem! Good luck! Let us know how it goes- and remember- Without pictures, it never happened !
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

I like the idea of omni tape. I'll have to consider that one. It's going to happen for sure. I'll post pics when it does.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It's been years since I had one that small so I don't know if this would be effective or not. When we were teaching our little ones to go down stairs we taught the to turn around at the top of the stairs and go feet first down on their bellies. That way they didn't have the chance to fall down the stairs. I am thinking that might be a good exit strategy for a youngster getting out of the hammock. Feet hit first and the hammock can be a grab hold if balance is an issue. As I say... untested... so don't go by me as an expert.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast