Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I made one for my 3yrs old (almost) using the dims from Just Jeff's kid's hammock. I added bug net with zipper and side pullouts. The pullouts kept her from getting swallowed in material and kept the bug mesh off her(added after 1sy trip when i couldn't find her in there). I need o make the bug net more fitted and switch to a real suspension but it is a great prototype and she slept great in it. She jumped around a lot and kept asking to get swung (up and away daddy!) but with the sides pulled out and the mesh top she stayed put and i never worried about her. She was able to unzip the sides and let skeeters in so omni may be a good way to go as it is more likely to wake you up so you can get it closed again. Worth a shot for sure.

-Tim

Hammock
    ENO, HH ULB, WBBB, GT
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    AHELR,Agnes,WInCub
    Suspension
    Cinch,Tglides,Whoo

sherpaxc!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/rayd888#p/u/16/AJlEQpcbM1I

There it is, compliments of rayd888--bed sheet (highly washable for the peeing youngun), cheap, soft --and the knot to hang it with. Enjoy!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If you feel like spending some money...a lot of it...the Clark Vertex would be ideal for your mobile family. The section between the two sleeper's heads would be darn near perfect for your situation. We were considering reinforcing that area, if we get one, for the 80lb bulldogge and her toe nails.

It would really be a great choice. The baby is right there next to you on what is basically a trampoline bed. Easy to reach and not much chance of smothering. Not cheap.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If you feel like spending some money...a lot of it...the Clark Vertex would be ideal for your mobile family. The section between the two sleeper's heads would be darn near perfect for your situation. We were considering reinforcing that area, if we get one, for the 80lb bulldogge and her toe nails.

It would really be a great choice. The baby is right there next to you on what is basically a trampoline bed. Easy to reach and not much chance of smothering. Not cheap.
    Vertex IS probably the best "Put all my money into this" option.
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My kids just slept in the hammock with me until I made the kids hammock...I think Joker was about 5 then. It's great for the cold...like having a furnace on your chest! Not so great in the summer...

One thing to keep in mind is the ability to reach over and check to see if they're sweating or chilled. Consider that when deciding on your bug net, zipper/velcro, etc.

Something I've done in the past is attach Joker's suspension directly to my hammock's suspension, and put both hammocks inside my travel pod. You could do the same thing with a bug net or winter sock...that way the kid gets his/her own hammock and you can keep an eye out easily.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Are you saying that his hammock hangs under yours? I considered this but for me it broke the rule of never hang over something you're not willing to fall on.

If this is what you're saying how can we do it in a 100% safe way as it does seem to solve a lot of problems (hard to get a good tarp pitch to cover 2 hammocks unless the trees are perfect, need a bigger tarp for two...) My daughter always hangs next to me so i can reach her but i see benefit to having her hang below me so i can reach her and still use a smaller tarp and have 1 big bug net over both of us. I found my daughter was getting bitten badly through her single layer 1.1oz hammock with zip in bug net. Was this through the fabric? Also with such small kids 2 & 3 is there any worry of them falling out of an open topped hammock? I was worried so i did the attached bug net, but if i still need a net on the bottom to keep her from getting eaten by the bugs i'd rather do a seperate bug soock that we can take or leave based on the trip.

-Tim
    Last edited by MarshLaw303; 09-11-2010 at 20:47. Reason: double signature

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    i would look into a hennessy scout, has bug net, and side pull outs to keep the fabric off of the lil one and the bottom entry can be modified or get a conversion done on it
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    He hangs beside me (or he did when he was that young). Sometimes we'd bump each other but he wasn't heavy enough to really affect my sleeping, and he slept soundly enough that I didn't seem to affect his.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Update:
    I decided on a double layer ala Z-Risk style so I can slide a CCF pad in there. That should take care of the warmth and mosquito issue. The hammock is 5 feet by 3 feet. My friend is sewing in a zippered bug net. I feel more comfortable with the zippered idea.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info from this board. My wife especially as she was DREADING sleeping in a tent again. It'll be interesting to see how the first few hangs go. I'll post some pics once it's made.

I'm gonna contact Tim Marshall in a couple weeks to see about a small quilt. I saw his stuff on Backpackinglight and it is exactly what we are looking for.

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Tarp
    Hex 11' DIY
    Insulation
    Revolt/Enigma
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The Protege is a great kid's quilt and if you wanted i could add tabs so it could also be used as an underquilt. I might just start doing it all the time as i have some tweaks in mind for the design and the versatility to be used both ways would be great.

Would love to see your kid's hammock as i am planning revisions to mine also.

-Tim

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast