Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Question Easy Tarp Setup

I know, it's almost like a troll post. There are as many ways to do this as there are to chew gum.

I'm sold on the continuous ridgeline. That's easy. Probably going to use amsteel 7/64 but I have some zingit. If I can get a zingit to zingit prussic to work I will skip the amsteel.

Right now I am just trying to picture this in my mind but am having a difficult time.

The ridgeline goes through the tarp grommets. I'm thinking of using the figure 9 method of securing so I would rig the 9s using the "fixed end" method. The tarp would be rigged with a couple hooks to secure to prussics on the ridgeline at both ends.

When it comes time to pitch I wrap around the tree, secure on Fig 9. Go to other end and do the same. Secure clips to prussics and adjust. Stake tie-outs and I'm done.

So here are the questions.

1. Will the F9 hold well on the zing it?
    2. Will the F9, rigged "fixed end" remain stationary on zing it when threaded through the device and held taut?
    3. How much life can I expect out of the zing it on the F9?
    4. Will a zingit prussic hold on same diameter zingit?
    5. Is this a completely idiotic way of doing this?
    6. When will the Cubs win the World Series?

Any other advice would be helpful.

Oh, one more question, is it worth it to snakeskin the tarp too, separate from the 'mock?

Thanks y'all

Hammock
    WBBB and HH with 2QZQ mod
    Hey Cos !
    I've been here quite a while now and got a LOT of help from others (thanks all you guys!) but until now I've felt unable to help others cause there is Sooo many more experienced hangers here than me. But, I have a modded HH, a Blackbird on the way (thanks Brandon..) and a very similar tarp setup as you have so here goes.....

I use zing-it for the ridge-line and shock cord and zing-it for the guy lines. On one end of the ridge line I use a mini biner on a prussic (four turns) or a Kleimheist. On the other I use a F9 on a prussic. When I'm tying off the end that uses the F9, I put a sippery half hitch in for security. I've been using this system for about a year, so to try and answer your questions...........

1. Yes, but (I use the slippery half hitch for security)
    2. Definately yes!
    3. I have used it for about a year with very minor fraying
    4. Yes, but you need to use four turns or a kleimheist knot is good (it's slippery stuff)
    5. Nope...
    6. I'm from N. Ireland....don't know who the cubs are..?? baseball team?....anyway, Yes..

Your last question really depends on your type of tarp and size of snakeskins and if it's a Hennessy mod etc. I'm sure the other guys will chime in here and put things straight but I hope it was of some help....
    I really like my tarp setup and it works great just need to upgrade now..!!

Tom the cub for the world series ?!!?....lol

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just saw the premade single line from whoopieslings.com. Will probably buy that or fashion my own. That looks like a better setup.

Why is it you spend an hour or two looking around for various solutions then after posting to a forum the answer becomes clear?

Thanks Tom. I like your setup.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S CrowsNest DIYTQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/DC/WS
    Images
    I love my continuous ridge line. I modeled it off of the Tarp Ridge Line sold at whoopieslings.com, complete with a knot bone at one end and the f9 on a prussik at the other. It used to take me quite a bit longer to get my tarp set up, but with this set up...easy breezy. I'm currently using paracord for the line--its what I was using before, with a lot more knotwork to set it up--but I'll eventually switch it over to zing-it or dynaglide and be good.
    -->dvis.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom___ View Post
    Hey Cos !
    I've been here quite a while now and got a LOT of help from others (thanks all you guys!) but until now I've felt unable to help others cause there is Sooo many more experienced hangers here than me. But, I have a modded HH, a Blackbird on the way (thanks Brandon..) and a very similar tarp setup as you have so here goes.....

I use zing-it for the ridge-line and shock cord and zing-it for the guy lines. On one end of the ridge line I use a mini biner on a prussic (four turns) or a Kleimheist. On the other I use a F9 on a prussic. When I'm tying off the end that uses the F9, I put a sippery half hitch in for security. I've been using this system for about a year, so to try and answer your questions...........

1. Yes, but (I use the slippery half hitch for security)
    2. Definately yes!
    3. I have used it for about a year with very minor fraying
    4. Yes, but you need to use four turns or a kleimheist knot is good (it's slippery stuff)
    5. Nope...
    6. I'm from N. Ireland....don't know who the cubs are..?? baseball team?....anyway, Yes..

Your last question really depends on your type of tarp and size of snakeskins and if it's a Hennessy mod etc. I'm sure the other guys will chime in here and put things straight but I hope it was of some help....
    I really like my tarp setup and it works great just need to upgrade now..!!

Tom the cub for the world series ?!!?....lol
    Hey Tom, thanks for the tip about the Klemheist Knot! I bought some mason line to upgrade from my old too-heavy rope ridgeline but was having trouble with slipping prussicks - that did the trick! Thanks!!

Hammock
    WBBB and HH with 2QZQ mod
    No problem Lizzie !
    I'm only passing on what I've learned from here.....

• + New Posts