i just wanted to write 'diyrections'.haveing dabled in and made my own tarps,hammocks, top blankets,sacks, bugnets,snakeskins,rain ponchoes and suspensions i guess it was natural i move over to making my own underquilts.i started my hanging career with a clark and no contact with hammock forums .stuffed clark pockets work well for under insulation.i there fore did not know i needed an underquilt.i now see were a uq could save some room in my pack,and my diy hammock has no pockets(yet).plus i like to design and sew so here we go.
before making my first uq i did a search to research some designs and features i may need.i got no further then slackdaddys thread
'first underquilt project'

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=19547

this plan made sense to me and i used it as a base for my plan.i did not have a hammock model so i just guessed on how big a wedge to cut out.cutting the wedge out of the sides of the material,instead of the middle is how i changed SDS plan.only two seams to sew instead of 4.
[IMG][/IMG]

to mark the curve i folded both pieces in half then quarters.then i stacked them together.i pined a string along one edge to make sure my material was straight.i pined them to the bed so they would not move.i then pinned another line down were i wanted the curved cutout to be.i kept adjusting this with pins to hold it in place untill it looked right.after the string was curved,and pinned i traced it with a sharpie.i then cut out all layers at the same time.
[IMG][/IMG]

you shoud have two pieces of material like this now.
[IMG][/IMG]

note...i made three uq's.the purple,insulated with polyester quilt batting,was for my goddaughter.a white and grey double layer fleece one from two small one dollar thrift blankets.and a one layer wool one from a wool blanket.the pictures of them are intermingled in these diyrections.
[IMG][/IMG]

as shown in previous pic i sewed a line of grossgrain ribbon down the center of both of my sides.this center will become the inside edge after it is sewn together.i did not want this edge to stretch.i also wanted some loops along this edge in case it was droopy i could tie it up somehow.on the purple one i sewed the loops directly to the inner gosgrain,pulling a small pinch of fabric in so no places would unravel.the fleece one with the green grossgrain i left all one piece pulling a loop of the grossgrain through the fleece with one of those knitting hooks.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

sew them together like this.i used a variation of the flat felled seam.lined up the edges sewed,then folded that over opened up material and sewed it to one side.seamed to work well.
[IMG][/IMG]

sew these two pieces together along the curved edges .should be two seams top and bottom
[IMG][/IMG]

now you should have a big bag open at both ends and wider in the middle.
[IMG][/IMG]

if you are useing some insulation like poly batting shape it to your uq and install now.

i used ripstop to form the end channels.it was flat felled to the main uq body.this was a very thick seam.but i think it helps the uq seal to the hammock.i put a length of shock cord in the channel and sewed in one end. on the other end is a line lock.so far i have not used this as these uq fit well to the hammock.
[IMG][/IMG]

i sewed a loop on the corners(A) so it would stick out past the channel.this is were i will attach the shock cord for the suspension.
to attach the shock cord,and adjust it i simply put a line lock on the shock (B)cord,tie the other end to the triangle thingys,then use the line lock like a toggle in the uq loops.it is shown in reverse in the pic,i changed it so i can use different uqs with same suspension.to attach the triangles to the suspension i put a large grossgrain loop on that end and larksheaded it to the hammock suspension.
[IMG][/IMG]

next was stuff sacks.i realized i could use the stuff sacks for a dual purpose here.i sewed loops on the stuff sack corners and got rid of the uq suspension triangles.the stuff sacks are now also suspension components.
the fleece uq is in the black bag.my fleece blanket is in the other
[IMG][/IMG]

to attach the sack to the hammock.wrap bags drawcord around hammock suspension.insert drawcords line lock through grossgrain loop.pull drawcord tight.
[IMG][/IMG]
nother view
[IMG][/IMG]

the fleece one.have not slept with it yet.seems to hang good
[IMG][/IMG]
top view fleece.if i tighten the suspension the sides straighten out.
[IMG][/IMG]

the wool one.i cut only 14 inches of curved wedge out of this one.18 in. on the other two uqs.the wool and fleece ones are similar size and can be layered together useing same suspention.
[IMG][/IMG]

the purple one,the rest of this hammock/tarp can be seen here

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=20735

[IMG][/IMG]

i have used the wool one down to 32degf.stayed warm.

sorry its so long thanks for looking.
hangin warm
bill