Hammock
    Floating Bed

Is this a good start??

I got some cheap $4 "tree huggers" from Harbor Freight Tools. They called them "lashing straps".

1x ((hammock)) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AIBJNS/
    2x ((carabiner)) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026LW7OS/
    1x ((mozi net)) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKB2OS/

total = $47

Pretty good start, right??

I think I'll stick with this and then get a good $100 pop-up tent next... perhaps only for rainy days??

Or maybe I should spend a bit more and get the "triple stitching", 400 lbs limit, extra foot long, at only 4 ounces heavier version of this hammock....

Or maybe there's another reasonably cheap & lightweight hammock that I should be looking at??

I *am* spending virtually the same amount of money on the 2 carabiners as I am on the hammock itself. I could probly shift some of that money toward the hammock, but the carabiners are only 1 ounce a piece!!

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I have the Nano 7 from Grand Trunk. It is almost the same dimensions as the hammock you listed. It is a little narrow for most people but I have slept in it just fine. As for the rainy days, I would look into getting a tarp for over your hammock instead of a tent.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Welcome.
    Looks like a good start to me. Those hammocks are fine. The weight limit on those is due to the cheap suspension, change that out with some good stuff and you'll be good to go.

Being new, I'll explain that using the "T" word (tent) will get you in trouble around here.

A tarp works best, your up off the ground in your hammock, tarp covers you from the rain. No need to carry a hammock and a tent.

Roam around the forum and get some ideas at what's available, and whats in your budget. Watch the video's, get some more ideas. Ask questions, get some more ideas...you get the idea.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    We have a mantra here that it is cheaper to buy quality once, rather than cheap again and again. I've got the GT Ultralight in my basement, and while it is inexpensive, it is a good hammock. The suspension is lacking, bu could be upgraded easily to Whoopies or webbing. If you use the loops in the webbing, you don't need the 'biners.

I'm 6' tall and the Ultralight is likely too short rather than too narrow for me. Yet, I still sleep in it just fine.

My suggestion would be to get the hammock, change the suspension to webbing or whoopies, and a lighter strap for the tree. Everything you need will be available from Paul at Arrowhead Equipment. Try a cheap blue CCF pad for insulation. You'll need a tarp as well, and I hear Gargoyle makes some...

Hammock
    Floating Bed
    Hah...

Yes, I'm seeing some things I like, alright.

I'm just testing the waters right now, especially by mentioning the T-word. I have always wanted a pop-up tent that you merely have to stake in the ground. My buddy convinced me to get the hammock first, because it would be more versatile in my lifestyle... and of course, it's lighter. But I'm gonna get the pop-up tent afterward so that I can experience which is easier/quicker/better to deal with in which situations. Right off the bat, a pop-up tent could work almost anywhere, no need to look for trees... but of course you'd need to find soft ground if you don't have some quick-throw padding. Different ups and downs. But I just want to be able to have a 3-person 1-second tent just so I can show it off mostly. I'm sure I'll use hammocks way more, but I've gotta own a pop-up tent just one time. I hate tents strictly because of hooking up or breaking down the poles. I can deal with one second.

But... after that... I'm already itching for one of these massive hammocks -- Hammock Bliss x3 -OR- Hammock Bliss x2 -- and I'm definitely on the lookout for my own material for DIY. I'm guessing that since I'll have the UL hammock first, I'll just stick with some cotton/canvas for my DIY hammock... since I'll want that one to breathe and just hang in my backyard, as the UL hammock moves to my bug-out bag.

Gotta love the mozi net, AKA: Bug Sock, by SGT Rock. That's definitely a keeper.

I guess there's no reason not to get a tarp, tho. Harbor Freight had some pretty lightweight ones on sale for $7... just under 9'x11'.
    Last edited by grndslm; 09-11-2010 at 04:52.

Hammock
    Floating Bed
    Ordered the Grand Trunk Ultralight & the 2 carabiners.

I can at least start there, and I'll get the tarp tomorrow. They've got camo and silver. Should I go for concealability or reflectability?? Hmm...

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I think I'll stick with this and then get a good $100 pop-up tent next... perhaps only for rainy days??
    NO-SUCH-THING as a good tent . . . and how dare you . . .

Hah...
    I'm just testing the waters right now, especially by mentioning the T-word.
    Brazzin . . . And welcome, EH!

But, but I've gotta own a pop-up tent just one time.
    Why . . . isn't that just like stickin a hundred needles into your body . . .

. . . just to reaffirm that life is better without needles in your body

PS. Your going to like it here . . . I do . . .
    Last edited by Bradley; 09-11-2010 at 08:36. Reason: +PS

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    A pop up tent? Not even a serious tent! If you gotta have a tent, at least make it a real one... not to mention those suckers can weigh a ton. Geeze.

On the plus side, go through a storm in one of those tents and you'll be hammocking the rest of your life.

ETA: okay, that was me dying of shock - did not mean to totally diss the tent... but I had no idea they even bothered to make pop up tents anymore! I don't think I've ever heard anyone say a good word about them.

I have a tent with no poles at all. It uses trekking poles instead. You might look at those kinds of tents if you already use trekking poles... they will be much lighter than the pop up kind.

And since if we keep talking about tents we will be redirected to talk about hammocks... you can PM and I can give you other forums where you will be able to research tents to your heart's content.
    Last edited by lori; 09-11-2010 at 11:35.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you camp/backpack anywhere in the woods, then a hammock is superior IMO. Easier to find two trees for your hammock than it is to find a flat area for your tent plus the hammock has less impact on the area. If you are above the tree line or someplace where there are no trees than I think it would be better to have a more weather resistent tent. The pop up tents I have seen were flimsy and I would'nt want to wait out a storm in one. But if you really want one and you don't need it to be too storm worthy then go for it. You just may not sleep as well as in a hammock.

• + New Posts