Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on this bag for 3 season bay area camping

next weekend my husband and I are trying hammock camping for the first time. We've picked a car camping place and cleared it with them. Eno Doublenest, guardian bugnet and tarp setup, exped mats. So all that is left is top insulation. I was going to go look at down comforters but then I saw this sleeping bag at Amazon. What do you think?

We're trying to do two things. 1. Keep the price down because we just splashed out for all sorts of tent camping upgrades this year before I convinced him to try hanging. and 2. Buy things that we could use tent camping if hanging isn't for us.

Thanks so much!

I would be leery for a true 3 season bag.
    It is so cheap you could just cut it down to a quilt
    if you have a sewing machine.

A quilt works much better in a hammock.

For 3 season my preference would be a
    golite ultra 20.

For a moderately priced bag a campmor 20dF down bag. $120 I think.

or if you are crafty make 2 climashield quilts with some walmart nylon ripstop 2nds.
    You can get climashied at thruhiker.com
    The ratings are
    2.5 oz - 45df
    3.7 oz - 35df
    5 oz - 25df

A safer true 3 season would be 7.5 oz.

That said IMO you will burn up with a 3 season bag in the summer.
    IMO You really need a summer bag.

My setup is a golite ultra 20 and a 2.5 oz climashield topper. The topper is my summer bag.

Although really nice for ground camping I would return the exped mats
    and get something more appropriate for a hammock and put the $ into a good TQ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Looking at Amazon's description they tout it as being three season capable. Keep in mind that manufactures temp ratings can sometime be a little over optimistic. Depending on the temps that you expect they should work ok for you. Also be sure to consider sizing if there is a possibility that you may use them as traditional sleeping bags. Trying to sleep in a ill fitting bag can be miserable. So sleeping bag size does matter. But if you are planning as using them as top quilts the size issue is not really a big deal. To use it as a top quilt unzip it most of the way. Leaving just enough for feet to slip into and then drape the bag over yourself. Be sure to post a trip report and pictures after inaugural hang.
    Terry

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight
    Tarp
    Equinox UL Tarp
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Breeze
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I hang all around the Bay Area and use a Lafuma Extreme 600 as my 3 season and am very comfortable. It's rated as 45dF but I've had it down to 35 and was still comfortable. I do sleep EXTREMELY warm though. Most people would probably be cold at 50dF in this bag.

It has a "footbox" so I just unzip the bag and use it like a quilt.

Thanks for your thoughts. Still not sure if I will get it but glad to hear that at least on initial glance it might work. Re the exped mats. They were part of our tent camping upgrades this year. If the hang goes well we will shell out for other mats more hammock suitable. We will always do some tent camping as easier with our dogs and not everywhere we like to go is suited for or allows hanging.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Did you have sleeping bags to use in the tents? Just use those.
    Last edited by gargoyle; 09-11-2010 at 16:28.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

no we used a queen sized down comforter. my husband doesn't like the confining nature of a sleeping bag

Unless you are doing a shakedown for a hike, IE just camping to try out a hammock, I would just use anything. Heavy fleece blacket, couple of blankets, old sleeping bag etc.

I would hang without the exped mats, but maybe take them in case you end up on the ground.

You can use garlington taco setup and go down pretty far in temps. Add a CCF pad as an extender. Thats cheap if you already have a poncho.

Last winter I went to 14df in a hammock, ultra 20 TQ, 2 crossed CCF pads and a garlington setup under.

That said using under insulation below the hammock is a lot more comfortable IMO than anything inside the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i would spend just alittle more...and get something that will keep you warm
    JMO
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Quote Originally Posted by modhammock View Post
    no we used a queen sized down comforter. my husband doesn't like the confining nature of a sleeping bag
    Since he doesn't like bags, a quilt is in top order for him!!! There are several models in the synthetic insulation category that can be had for around 100$, not sure if this fit's into your budget? But it would work very well either in the hammock or on the ground if needed!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast