Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Incubator

First hang. Tip/Suggestion/Criticism

I finally got a chance to hang my hammock today. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips on how to possibly achieve a flatter lay. It wasn't that bad, but I would like to be flatter if possible in my NX-250. I tried having the foot end higher than what is pictured but it didn't feel right for some reason...but with that said, I fiddled with it so much that something else may have been out of whack.

From the pictures, what do you see that I can improve? What am I doing wrong?

Having your trees closer together helps alot, so you should be thinking about that when you plant them. I try and get a pair of trees that are barely any further apart than the setup i have, be it the hammock or the tarp im using if its wider. Then i tie it rather tighhtly. Also sleep in it on an angle with your head on one side and your feet on the other, tends to flatten you out a bit. After you get used to doin that your body will naturally start to do it.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    I realize that the no-see-um needs to sag some
    so that when you lay in it the ridge tightens up some . . .

but it looks like you could string it a little tighter than you have it in the photos.

Your straps could be doubled up or folded in half before you wrap them around the trees then your string line could have more adjustment.

I'm a thin'in

PS. looks like a nice quiet spot to hang.
    Last edited by Bradley; 09-12-2010 at 01:10. Reason: + PS
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Thanks. What distance do you feel is ideal? 15' or so? Those two trees were approximately 21 feet apart.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Take a look at this illustration on hammock camping basics by dejoha http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=11700 it is sure to give you a few help hints. That may solve your problem.
    Terry

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Also note - Losty and Bradley were giving you opposite suggestions. Trees closer together lets you hang with more sag, while tightening the ropes gives you less. I'd say more, judging by your photos, but I could be wrong. Try both and see what works.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

In my experience

I like my NX-250 strung a bit tighter than my HH. From the looks of your pics, the head end appears to be higher than the foot. I find that this sends me sliding toward the foot, and actually seems to hinder a flat lay. I usually sleep somewhere between 30 degrees and 45 degrees from sideways (in terms of roll), but the cut of the Clark keeps me in line with the major axis.

Jim

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    to test to see if you're sliding down while you sleep... sit in your hammock and take your shoes off. Leave them on the ground underneight you. Lay back in your hammock and just relax, pretend it's night and you're headed off to la-la land. Now pretend it's morning and swing your feet back to the ground. Are your shoes right under you or are they shifted off to the side?? If shifted, then you've got either the head end or the foot end too high.

I sleep with the foot end a "little" bit higher than the head end. This puts me right over my shoes when I get up the next morning. And for me makes for a "flatter" seeming lay.

As far as distance between trees goes, I'm starting to lean toward finding trees that are further apart but... then I have to attach my tree straps higher and did I mention that I'm 5 foot tall??!!! Still, I make it work. Whoopies help out a lot with being so adjustable without having to tie and untie knots.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I don't think it looks too bad but if anything a tad too loose. When hung right it's a little loose when empty but tightens up when you enter it. If it's too tight when empty, you'll have a hard time zipping the netting around the corner after entering. It's one of those idiosyncrasies of hammocks that zip around corners. (read - Clark)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Thanks all. The net tightened up quite a bit when I got in, but it wasn't tight to the point that it was stretching any.
    I will try trees a little closer together. I will also raise the foot end some and play with the sag.
    Thanks again!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast