Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie

Another newbie with a suspension question...

Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first hammock, an ENO Doublenest. I also purchased a pair of aluminum 'biners to replace the steel ENO units, a pair of webbing tree straps, a pair of toggles and a pair of whoopie slings.

After hanging the hammock using the straps/whoopies, it seems to me that I should remove ENO's hammock line and carabiners, and thread the whoopies through the hammock channels, leaving them in place as part of the hammock.

I'd then hang the hammock by the adjustable ends of the whoopies looped over the toggles placed in the tree straps.

I can think of only a couple of reasons NOT to do this...

1) the line that ENO provides in the hammock channels is larger diameter and probably kinder to the hammock.

2) the carbiners act as drip stops.

I got tired and dizzy after searching through what seems to be thousands of whoopie sling posts here on the forum, so I thought I might go ahead and risk irritating the forum veterans by asking for opinions...

Thanks for any guidance,
    desmobob

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    hello and welcome to hf!!... by all means, get rid off the stock rope and biner from the eno. feed whoopies through channel.use marlin spike to attach whoopie to webbing( polyester i hope)?
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome!
    There should not be any problems feeding the fixed eye of the whoopie through the channel and girth hiching it. Many including me have done it. You could always tie a shot length of cord and dangle it on you whoopie sling about a foot from your hammock to act as a drip stop.

Hammock
    UNO Double Nest
    Tarp
    OES 10 X 12
    Insulation
    MW3 & Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

ENO DN Suspension

I also am a Newbie but I will try to explain what I did with mine with a lot of advice and guidance from the fine Folk here and from Whoopiesling.com who provided all the "pieces parts" for this mod!!!

I used a 12" contineous loop of Amsteel and larks headed it around itself to a 2" ring. I removed the stock suspension from the DN and made two passes with the contineous loop through the end channel of the hammock and larks headed it to itself. Then I attached the fixed loop of Whoopie Sling to the ring with a larkshead to itself. I am using a structural ridge line which I also attached to the ring with a larkshead around itself. The other (adjustable loop) end of the SRL, I attached to the ring at the other end of the hammock (which was rigged the same way), with a soft shackle.

Not proven yet but I think the ring will be an effective "drip line".

I used a different color for each of the 12" contineous loops to be able to distinguish the head and foot of the hammock.

I know that this is clear as mud... if you will PM me, I will try to make it more clear... when you are ready, I will give you my phone number in case you hit a snag. It is much easier to do than explain!!!

Thanks... Arvis

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I ran the fixed eye thru my ENO twice before threading the rest of the whoopie thru the eye. The loose adjustment line on the whoopie works great as a drip point.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    hey fellow hanger, As the other members said (yes) get rid of the stock junk and keep it in the bottom of your pack.(well just one set)for a spare and some extra rope.always comes in handy.
    As for a drip point, the whoopi sling will act as the dripping point( where the rope comes back out of its self) you can even put a 1/2 hitch when the whoopi is adjusted to the right length,and the 1/2 hitch will act as a second drip point.
    Shug explains this in one of his vids.{ hammock how to part 8}

Hammock
    WBBB XLC dbl. 1.7, ENO Dblnst
    Tarp
    Superfly, MCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Zep/Incu/NewR/SSnv
    Suspension
    tree strap/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by obmit View Post
    I ran the fixed eye thru my ENO twice before threading the rest of the whoopie thru the eye.
    Sounds good. That's what I did too, after seeing that ENO's supplied line was run through twice.

The loose adjustment line on the whoopie works great as a drip point.
    Excellent!

After ditching the supplied line and steel carabiners for the new whoopie slings, I've shed a lot of weight and bulk and attached half the suspension system. With the two tree straps and toggles, the whole system w/hammock now has less weight and bulk than just the original hammock without suspension system had. That's cool!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, help and information!

Take it easy,
    desmobob

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Mt. Washington 3
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    After ditching the supplied line and steel carabiners for the new whoopie slings, I've shed a lot of weight and bulk and attached half the suspension system. With the two tree straps and toggles, the whole system w/hammock now has less weight and bulk than just the original hammock without suspension system had. That's cool!
    That is exactly the setup that I have with the addition of a couple of Dutch style clips.
    Tim
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. ~ Douglas Adams

We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

• + New Posts