warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    3 season yeti
    Suspension
    straps/whoopie sli
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander366 View Post
    Ok so I adjusted my ridgeline to about 100" and now I am wondering what to do with the whoopies on the suspension since they seem fairly loose now. My original plan was to set the tree huggers at about 6' off the ground (now with the feet slightly higher) and try for the 30 degrees. I know the ridgeline needs to be fairly taught, but I'm not sure what adjustments need to be made once I have increased my ridgeline. Seems that the angle is greater than 30 degrees now if that makes since.

Also reference the make shift UQ. I am going to sew channels on the side, how long and what diameter of cordage is recommended?

Thanks again!
    Ok with the 6' off the ground and the 30deg angle, Remember that with this the tree should be at least 15' apart. The closer the trees are together the lower the straps will be off of the ground. the farther the higher.
    I don't go by the height of 6' as a rule but I go by the angle more than anything. I adjust my straps height till I get the angle right.
    Let us know how everything works out...

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    So I have spent the last two nights in my new hammock that I made and I am wondering what I can do to make it more comfortable. I woke up this morning with a stiff neck and headache. Here are my questions:

1. How flat should one be able to lay? I have been laying at a diagonal in an attempt to lay flat but it seems that my head is still elevated, and made worse by use of a pillow.

2. Do other hangers find it difficult to keep their feet in the hammock when laying diagonally? From what I have found on line on the forums my hammock should be long enough, but I find that my feet like to slip over the edge, especially when they are in the foot box of my top layer.
    1. "Flat" in a hammock is something of a misnomer. By laying on the diagonal you avoid the down the center, curved, banana position but you're still not going to be flat like in a bed. On your back on the diagonal is sort of like being in a La-Z-boy recliner. Your head will be higher than your butt and usually you need something under your knees to avoid hyper-extension. Doctors actually say that it's beneficial for the upper body and head to be angled up slightly, which is what happens in the hammock. Some like/need pillows others don't. In the pic below it's obvious that the upper body isn't parallel to the ground.

2. Gathered end hammocks typically have floppy sides, making it difficult to keep your feet inside but this style of hammock also offers what many consider to be the most comfortable lay. One thing that helps is to add a Warbonnet-like footbox on one side of the hammock. Look at the camo hammock in the pic below. The footbox is an extra piece of material, in the shape of a right triangle, sewn onto the side of the hammock. Position it so the peak of the triangle attached right where the heel of your foot normally lands. The pic should also give you a good feel for what the right amount of sag looks like. From your pics I'd say you have way too much.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Knotty; 09-14-2010 at 13:23.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

r&d

Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    [/url]
    Hmmm.... padded floor... must be a room for Research and Development.

For what its worth, I'm jealous!

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Nice illustration, Knotty!

My only bit of advice is about your pillow. As Knotty said, a "flat" lay is subjective to the "cult of hang" and varies by type of hammock. I think the bridge-style hammock offers the flattest lay of all hammock styles.

I think of my hammock like a gentle recliner chair. Since my torso is slightly elevated, I don't need a full pillow, but I do need something under my neck, and often something to rest the side of my head, but not under my head. A U-shaped travel pillow works great, or something rolled up under the nape of my neck. I often get away with just some extra piece of clothing rolled up.

The same advice goes for under the knees, as Knotty said, although I don't often do this.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    THe reason you need at least 30 degrees for the suspension is to reduce the amount of tension on the tree... If you pulled the suspension tight, like a guitar string, the forces on your suspension ropes would be many times your weight. 30-degrees is a suggestion, but not gospel. Anything near that is ok.

On the other extreme, if you place your huggers way too high, your ridgeline will go slack, changing the lay of your hammock...

RE: UQ: You'll get many opinions. My UQ has corner tie-outs instead of side-channels like the Yeti. There's a channel on each end with shock-cord to get it to snug up to the bottom of the hammock.

The cord size will depend on the UQ weight. You need enough pull on the UQ suspension to keep it against your back, but no more. Mine is 3/16" elastic, but the UQ weighs 14 ounces. I tried a sleeping bag as an UQ, but I had to use full-size bungee cords due to the weight...
    You can find shock cord in many places, and I've doubled up 1/8" cord for a heavier UQ for my kid... If I recall I paid $0.49/yd at my local Joanne's...

Ok so I adjusted my ridgeline to about 100" and now I am wondering what to do with the whoopies on the suspension since they seem fairly loose now. My original plan was to set the tree huggers at about 6' off the ground (now with the feet slightly higher) and try for the 30 degrees. I know the ridgeline needs to be fairly taught, but I'm not sure what adjustments need to be made once I have increased my ridgeline. Seems that the angle is greater than 30 degrees now if that makes since.

Also reference the make shift UQ. I am going to sew channels on the side, how long and what diameter of cordage is recommended?

Thanks again!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123