This weekend I did a conditioning and gear testing hike from 19E to Carvers Gap. I enjoyed the new 4Dog Esbit burner, the new MLD Exodus pack but experienced major failure with a Nano-7 hammock. From 19E to my campsite was a little over 11 miles with a lot of gain. I was whooped and slept like the dead for about an hour when I heard a strange thunder sound. I'd heard thunder and experienced big wind and big rain all day but this thunder sound was different. It was the sound of fabric tearing! The fabric sheered completely through dumping me onto the ground. I was lucky picking a spot free of rock or root and I was only a foot off the ground.
It was not a serious problem, I had the pad I use in the MLD Exodus and a pad I insert into the foot box of the Warbonnet Mamba, so with tarp and top quilt still good I simply became an ultralightweight thru-hiker grounded but warm and cozy enough--I was tired enough to get back to sleep and slept until 0700. The hammock failure occurred right before 10pm.
I weigh in right at 196 and I thought the Nano-7 was rate to 300 pounds? This hammock had only been used 2-3 times before for a tot. of 45ish minutes dialing in the lay....your thoughts please. If you watch the vid you'll see the failure occurred behind the whoopied channel--about 1-2 inches toward the main body of the hammock. I would have figured failure in the sewn channel but that was not the case
Other gear tested was the MLD cuben poncho which performed wonderfully. The little 4dog esbit burner also did a great job and confirmed in the field that 1/2 tab will heat enough water for an inertia meal.
Since this was a 'training' hike for Vermont next month I'm glad to know what works and what doesn't. For me I'll have to bight the bullet on the additional 4-5 ounces the Traveler will cost me but at least I know it probably won't fail.
Here is a link to the vid, at 3:58 is the failed hammock.
Also note I hung on Dutch Clips and (and Dutch Biners) and can't wait to hang on them again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyodIWafyog