Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images

Pecos Wilderness NM and First Hang

My brother and I are complete newcomers to hammock camping and this past weekend we decided to try the Pecos Wilderness here in NM north of Santa Fe. I just received a Claytor JH and tarp and my brother bought a Hammock Bliss hammock. For insulation, I had my Z-Lite pad and my brother brought a 4' x 5' down throw and a 1/2" CCF pad. We arrived at the Pecos Wilderness late in the morning and parked at the Cowles trailhead, about 8400', and headed out on the Windsor trail to Stewart Lake, about 10,200', ~ 7.5 miles away. The day was beautiful--no clouds and in the high 80s.

The Pecos Wilderness is about 223,000 acres of wilderness in the Santa Fe and Carson National Forests and managed by the USFS. The Windsor trail is well maintained and clearly marked so we had no trouble staying on the trail. We gained altitude steadily and, as a world-class couch potato, I was huffing and puffing before too long. We went through some really steep terrain and dense forest with Douglas firs and Colorado spruce with some Aspens mixed in.

After frequent breaks and an hour lunch stop, we arrived at Stewart Lake, a small jewel of an alpine lake about 200 yards long by 100 yard wide. We've been on the trail for 8.5 hours (hey, I'm an old timer!), the sun had set and we were losing daylight rapidly. We found a nice area way off trail above the lake to setup, but by this time we had quickly lost daylight, and with only a sliver of moon, we had to use headlamps to see what we were doing. The Claytor went up fairly quickly thanks to all of the excellent info I got from Shug's and Grizz's videos--I'm now a huge fan of the toggle suspension! I used Dutch clips and webbing from JRB, and I replaced the stock straps with Amsteel Blue. My brother, not having the advantage of watching the excellent videos here on Hammock Forums, just went with a conglomeration of knots--at least he didn't fall down.

According to my brother's digital thermometer, we had a high of 88 degrees F and a low of 33 degrees F. Boy did I feel that 33 F! I froze my backside but was warm on top--I used my WM Megalite sleeping bag as a top quilt. The Z-Lite pad was almost useless as insulation at that low temperature and my body heat just went right on through. I don't think I ever heeded the call of nature so much in one night--4 times! Anyway, I had a miserably cold night. Now my brother on the other hand, slept like a baby with his jury-rigged down UQ and CCF pad. I have an IX UQ on order with MacEntyre and I sure wish I had a chance to try it out that night! My Claytor hammock, though, was very comfortable and a joy to use. I can't imagine backpacking any other way.

Other than birds and squirrels, we didn't see much wildlife along the way, but we saw plenty of deer tracks and a cougar track. We came across some scat that neither of us had seen before. It was composed of hair or fur and very light. Cougar, maybe?

Anyway, we broke camp in the morning and got back to the truck in 6 hours--downhill all the way. I really had a great time for my first hang and learned a lot, especially what NOT to do next time! I can't wait to get back out there again--next time with a ton of under insulation!
    Last edited by KefWalker; 09-13-2010 at 12:14.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    GT ultralight/ENO DN
    Tarp
    el cheapo
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    sounds like a great trip...like the pics.
    ROLL TIDE!!!

When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt

HOMEPAGE

- Backcountry

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Thanks for the trip report, and nice pics. The Pecos is one of my favorite places.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Absolutly stunning! What a beautiful area. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to get out there to see this myself!

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks backcountry and drewboy--the Pecos is just beautiful in Sept and Oct. I hope you can make it out here sometime richtorfla, NM is so varied there's something here for everyone.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Thanks for the trip report and pictures.
    Terry

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You are welcome Poppabear--it was almost as fun posting as it was to do.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    I have camped twice at Villenueva State Park in late Sept. What an incredible place. We have also spent time between there and Durango. WOW! Wonderful.
    Enjoyed the pics
    Beas
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks BEAS. Villanueva SP is in the same general area as Pecos Wilderness and is one of the best campgrounds in NM I think. We try to get out there once or twice a year to car camp. Durango is just beautiful to visit--when we lived in Colorado Springs, we used to drive over there a lot.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    HG 4 season cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Burrow TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Beautiful!!! I was up there early last summer, at Holy Ghost and Panchuela, also saw panther print. Amazing country, can't wait to go back.
    Leigh
    aka LookinUp

He who would travel happily must travel light.
    Antoine de St. Exupery

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast