Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

HH net control trick

Here is another thing I have been forgetting to post. Recently, I had mentioned how inadvertantly overtightening hy HH with a hitchcraft actually resulted in a little shoulder squeeze. This led to a little experimentation that showed that, at least in my case with my HHUL Explorer, I was actually noticeably more comfortable and flat if I only tightened my suspension moderately.

Except for one item: that darn net. The net tends to be a little close to my face when I lay on the diagonal, under the best of circumstances. If I don't tighten the devil out of the suspension, it is quite a bit worse. I suspect my netting might have been stretched a bit from a "mishap" that occurred the 1st night I ever used it. So my net might be a bit looser than average, or not.

Since I decided I prefer the feel of a slightly looser pitch, I started experimenting with ideas to control the net. First, I went back to the approach of trying to tighten the heck out of the side guy out lines/elastic. This helped somewhat, but no matter how much you tighten them, they loosen some as the hammock sags. Then, I played around with some Gripclips attached to the net on both sides, using a line over the ridgeline to the other clip. Or, a line on the outside from the grip clip to either the tarp ridge, wall or side tie out points. Again, all of this helped somewhat.

Finally, about 2 days before I went to Neo's Tenn gathering, a light bulb lit up as I thought about the adjustable ridge line on my Speer. So I knotted a thin line thru the HH ridge line loop at the foot end. I ran the other end thru the loop at the head end with some excess heading back towards the foot. Then, after I am in and laying down, I used the Speer technique. I put a truckers hitch in the line, ran the end of the line thru the loop and tightened up. Bingo. The net pulled up away from my face, high and wide just like it does in the Speer. Duh!

I'll continue to fiddle with it for improvement. I may need to use another type of line, because the line tends to "grip" ( abrade? ) the HH loop, making it hard to pull thru. I may need something a little slick. And there may be a better place to attach this line than the loops. Any suggestions?

It seems that one of the "disconnecting" ridge line schemes might be best, with a biner and fixed ridge line for setting the sag that could also be adjusted once yo are in the hammock. My technique causes some slack in the HH RL. Not a big deal, and the new line is tight and things can be hung from that if the looser HH RL is a problem.

But in the mean time, as I figure all of that out, for all practical purposes, problem solved.

Images
    Use light weight spectra for your ridgeline (its slick)... And use a mini-biner... Put two loops in the ridge line at the right spacing for setting up and for holding the netting.

Clip in one when setting up then clip to the other when ready to use... don't double the line up just tie it permanently at one end and put the two loops in the right places...

And then Bob's your uncle....
    So many projects, So little time....

Images
    Sounds like a plan!

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If the "extra" line for the netting isn't under much tension, simple mitten hooks should work also. Thread the line through the little loops on the mitten hooks and then clip the mitton hooks onto the ridge line loops. The mitten hooks are very light.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapt View Post
    Use light weight spectra for your ridgeline (its slick)... And use a mini-biner... Put two loops in the ridge line at the right spacing for setting up and for holding the netting.

Clip in one when setting up then clip to the other when ready to use... don't double the line up just tie it permanently at one end and put the two loops in the right places...

And then Bob's your uncle....
    so, is the line longer or shorter for better net placement?

If you're just trying to support your netting, wouldn't some shock cord be self-adjusting?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    so, is the line longer or shorter for better net placement?
    Do you mean the line that I added? Well, since after I added the line I then tightened it up, I guess it was shorter. It shortened as I tightened it, pulling well up above me and taking the net with it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    If you're just trying to support your netting, wouldn't some shock cord be self-adjusting?
    Might be. That's something to try.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Two ideas
    - Sew a dart in the netting to keep it tight. You can always rip the seam later if you don't like it.
    - Or replace the HH ridgeline with an adjustable one. No need for two ridgelines if one isn't working!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ... Recently, I had mentioned how inadvertantly overtightening hy HH with a hitchcraft actually resulted in a little shoulder squeeze. This led to a little experimentation that showed that, at least in my case with my HHUL Explorer, I was actually noticeably more comfortable and flat if I only tightened my suspension moderately.
    This is something I might have to try. I mentioned in an earlier post about losing my 'diagonal' on a recent trip. I really pulled my HH tight when I first hung it up. I'm going to have to relax that tension and see if I get a better lay with my SS in place. I'm 'tree-challenged' here and will have to find someplace to experiment.

Thanks for the tips.

Tom

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast