Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    ... I wonder if someone hung a hammock inside the terminal in some out of the way spot if security would have a problem.
    I bet it would be less of a problem to anyone if the hammock was hung as low as possible, attracting less attention. Position your luggage properly.... Stealth!
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    When I travel, I tend to spend a night or two at a local hostel. You can't beat the price and you meet neat people. The downside is the buck beds usually are not comfortable, and it is advisable to use a sleep sack!

But the hosteling world is comprised of pretty laid back people. The staff are usually young adults with a live-and-let-live attitude. So I wonder how you can sleep in a hammock in a hostel?...

When I did a search for "hostel" and "hammock" this link came up:

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/510614

And a couple of videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnzZy...ayer_embedded#!

http://www.rockingjs.com/spots_hammock.php
    The main issue I would have with sleeping in hostel beds is the potential for bedbugs. But if you could rig a hammock...
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Of course they would... it has nothing to do with Napoleon or small-mindedness and everything to do with liability.

I wonder if someone hung a hammock inside the terminal in some out of the way spot if security would have a problem.

My guess is they probably would - someone would get a napoleon complex and rouse the offending hammocker. Someone needs to MacGyver a portable stand made of two pieces of luggage.

"Of course they would... it has nothing to do with Napoleon or small-mindedness and everything to do with liability. "

I don't know about your airport. . .but ours is an international airport and the guards are ATF. . .not rent a cop. I find that the ones I have met are very professional and take their jobs (protecting you and me) very seriously.

They would not allow you to hang your hammock in some obscure place for the same reason that they don't let homeless people sleep in corners at the airport. . .security and liability.

I'm new to the forum and I am learning a lot. . .lots of good ideas to use in my wilderness trips. But I think we need to move beyond being kids trying to sneak around and live as adults respectful of laws and those who enforce them.

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    I've always wondered why they dont' build and rent those japanese style sleeping pods/capsule hotels. They'd make a fortune.
    They have, at least in some locations... Schipol, Heathrow and Gatwick have the "YOTEL" capsules - prices are comparable to the local hotels.
    Mike

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeN View Post
    They have, at least in some locations... Schipol, Heathrow and Gatwick have the "YOTEL" capsules - prices are comparable to the local hotels.
    That's cool. I am not aware of any in the USA. Someday perhaps. Better still, it'd be great if they had a designated hammock hanging area. One can dream...

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    First of all, let me apologize to those who may have taken offense from my earlier post chiding that security personnel at airports might develop a napoleon complex and harange would-be hammockers - that was disrespectful to all the fine members of the TSA and the descendants of the French emperor. Sorry.

That said, I found this article which is exactly on point! It even includes a picture of, you guessed it, someone hanging a hammock in an airport (and its from a blog from the makers of treklightgear no less

Having had to do this a few times, and this. makes wondering about hanging a hammock in an airport not all that unreasonable.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    right on lizzie was that new zealand? i'm so over the usa i feel so much more comfortable in my hammock on the side of the road in mexico

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Hex SilNyl
    Insulation
    Lost River UQ
    Suspension
    All in One
    I wouldn't sleep outside Auckland Airport though...
    Always be mindful of your surroundings in NZ- Secluded isn't the same as stealth.
    Leave no trace - There is a lot of resentment against "freedom campers" especially in the Sth Island. They come, they evacuate, they leave TP everywhere. They AINT popular.

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Spent a night in Atlanta international...unfortunately the support columns diameter and distance apart exceeded the length of para cord i was carrying at the time so i had to sleep on the floor. My Eno double made a great makeshift cover. Security had zero problem with it, in fact after making contact with me (i was in an empty terminal partly under renovation) they understood my ordeal and said they would keep a camera on me to make sure no one tried to steal my stuff.

Would of loved to have been able to hang...need to make my whoopie slings and get some really wide webbing for those slick columns next time i fly through.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456