Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Question IX UQ and Sock as an Insulation System

I'm new to hammocking and insulation requirements, so please forgive any ignorance that may show through in this post.

I working on picking out my first gear setup and have settled on the Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB). I stumbled across your line of gear via the Tensegrity Stand thread and found the IX Sock for the WBBB as well as the IXUQ. It occurred to me that you could actually put together an entire insulation system with your various offerings where you add components to increase insulation needs as the temperature drops. My only difficulty is I'm not quite sure just how much insulation would be provided at each stage. Here is what I thought a preliminary listing would look like:

1. IX Hammock Sock, 60+ F
    2. IX UQ, 40+ F
    3. IX UQ + Hammock Sock, 32+ F
    4. IX Insert, IX UQ, IX Hammock Socket, 20+ F

Any advice and experience you can offer about what level of insulation is needed at each temperature range would be great! I know as a newbie, I would love to see more of this type of information provided on the different manufacturers' websites.

I'm ignoring top quilt/top cover needs at the moment and will need to work that out. Would love suggestions in that area for what would work best with the WBBB. I have a decent cold weather sleeping bag and thought that would be a good start to the top part of the insulation equation.

I was also hoping to know how the IX products might be affected if they get wet, say to spraying rain coming in under the tarp due to high winds. Might affect whether I would want to get the UQ with a cover or not. Is the Shamu cover water repelling/proof?

Many thanks! Looking forward to developments with the Tensegrity stand as well as my yard as exactly 1 tree in it.

~Dan

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    IX is probably the most water resistant UQ that you can get when compared to down or other synthetic insulation.
    Several folks experimented with hammock socks long before this forum existed. JustJeff has his DIY sock info here.

A couple of adventurous hammock campers worked on insulating the underside of thier hammocks using a Garlington Insulator which affords most any material for improvised insulation from an empty pack to a bag of leaves.

If you are considering the MMP IX sock, you might look at Mac's video where he put a down blanket inside the sock and under the hammock. If that concept works, you may be able to put a sleeping bag in the bottom of the sock as well.

Good luck with getting started...and with the tree shortage.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I would suggest the following for cold weather, shown in layers:

TQ
    You
    Hammock
    IX Insert that matches UQ
    Universal IX UQ or 3/4 IX UQ
    IX Hammock Sock

This would give you a total of four layers of IX, plus the Torso Heater sewn-in insert, and should be good to zero degrees F. You can use the various parts without the others, in warmer weather.

As Wisenber said, you can also insert other UQs or TQs in the sock. I've used it with my PeaPod.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Thanks for that, both of you!

Realizing it may be a bit subjective, do you have approximate figures for what just a sock, just an UQ, sock + UQ, etc. can accomplish? Or, rather than hard numbers, what would you start with from what you would use for warm weather down to the coldest, which would be all of the above. Would it be:

* sock
    * sock + UQ
    * sock + UQ + insert(s) (everything)

Just trying to figure out what I might need/want to bring in say 60 F+, 40-60F, < 40F, etc.

Also, have you heard of anyone using the UQ Triangle Thingies with the full length UQ or just the 3/4 UQ?

Many thanks!

~Dan

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest Regulus
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Sorry, also meant to ask if all orders are still placed through your MollyGear site. I caught your post indicating Tree to Tree will be helping with manufacturing, but it wasn't clear if all orders would still be placed through you.

~Dan

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ &amp; KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    I would suggest the following for cold weather, shown in layers:

TQ
    You
    Hammock
    IX Insert that matches UQ
    Universal IX UQ or 3/4 IX UQ
    IX Hammock Sock

This would give you a total of four layers of IX, plus the Torso Heater sewn-in insert, and should be good to zero degrees F. You can use the various parts without the others, in warmer weather.

As Wisenber said, you can also insert other UQs or TQs in the sock. I've used it with my PeaPod.
    As Mac and Wisenber said there are many combos, pick and choose to meet the expected conditions. But don't start with the sock, it's liable to have lot's of condensation in higher temps. I reserve a sock for temps below 40.

My setup:

Top: (4 Layers IX)
    2 - IX TQ's (Still need to purchase the 2nd)

Bottom: (4 layers IX plus Torso Heater)
    2 - IX Inserts
    1 - Universal IX UQ

Sock:
    1 - Hammock Sock (w/o Insulation)

Haven't had any cold weather since using IX so my setup is unproven. But from what Mac has published should work down to zero for most. Being a cold sleeper I think I'll be good down to the about 10 degrees.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

IX not a good stand-alone solution for insulation IMO

Speaking from personal experience, I would not want an insulation system that relied only on IX.

When I overheat in IX, I have sweating/moisture problems (yet I have been sleeping under an IX quilt nearly every night all Summer). When I vent the IX, I seem to lose all of my body heat nearly instantly. It seems to reflect heat well but not hold heat well. Some other insulation, (and that could include clothing), will supplement the insulation properties of IX by itself. With IX alone, I am not comfortable below the mid 50's. YMMV

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dblhmmck View Post
    Speaking from personal experience, I would not want an insulation system that relied only on IX.

When I overheat in IX, I have sweating/moisture problems (yet I have been sleeping under an IX quilt nearly every night all Summer). When I vent the IX, I seem to lose all of my body heat nearly instantly. It seems to reflect heat well but not hold heat well. Some other insulation, (and that could include clothing), will supplement the insulation properties of IX by itself. With IX alone, I am not comfortable below the mid 50's. YMMV
    Unfortunately, you are correct, DblHmmck, with respect to IX Top Quilts. The IX Under Quilts and IX Hammock Socks do fine.

IX Top Quilts perform completely different from IX Under Quilts. I have never had a condensation problem except when using an IX Top Quilt. What you describe matches my experience with a two layer IX Top Quilt in temps below 55*F.

I just spent two nights at 47*F, with three layers of IX Top Quilt. It did not work well at all. In order to be warm, I had to wrap up completely. That led to condensation from insensible perspiration. Eventually, that condensation got cold, and then I got cold.

Bottom line is that below 55*F, the IX TQs have to be covered with nylon, at least, or supplemented with something else.

I wish I could have discovered this earlier, but the temps have been so warm all summer long, that I have only just now been able to hang below 60*F!

- MacEntyre
    Last edited by MacEntyre; 09-20-2010 at 07:51.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ &amp; KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    . I have never had a condensation problem except when using an IX Top Quilt. What you describe matches my experience with a two layer IX Top Quilt in temps below 55*F.

I just spent two nights at 47*F, with three layers of IX Top Quilt. It did not work well at all. In order to be warm, I had to wrap up completely. That led to condensation from insensible perspiration. Eventually, that condensation got cold, and then I got cold.

Bottom line is that below 55*F, the IX TQs have to be covered with nylon, at least, or supplemented with something else.

- MacEntyre
    I had planned to use 2 IXTQ's for cold weather for my top insulation. Given he condensation problems noted I'll use my single IXTQ for summer (55) and keep my JRB No Sniveler for 55 - 30 (I'm a cold sleeper).

Can I use the IX TQ with the No Sniveler to go lower? Inside, or over the No Sniveler? Or will condensation be a problem?
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    Can I use the IX TQ with the No Sniveler to go lower? Inside, or over the No Sniveler? Or will condensation be a problem?
    IX works very well inside or outside down UQs. I suspect that it will do best outside a down TQ.

Condensation is only a problem when the IX is right against your skin.
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast