Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Still lonely over there I see Bluefin. That is terrible. I just found out that I MAY be coming over next summer with a Photo Club I belong to. Destination Gros Morne. Where you located?

Hammock
    HHBPUL, DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy Tar
    Insulation
    Exped 9 DLX
    Suspension
    Big Butt Whoopies
    If ya don't have any Hangin' Buddies ya might jus hafta make yer own. I'm not talking like Frankenstein, rather bringing some tenters 'into the light'.

Have a few friends try out your rig or see what Hennessy has left from their 'scratch, dent and demo sale' and get a spare rig for a 'homeless' buddy.

Also setting up at a campground is a great way to introduce folk to the Hangin' Lifestyle. The people there are already 'outdoorsy' folk and likely to be intrigued. Let them try 'er out, tell them about the forums here and let nature take it's course. I have been seing more of the string hammocks at the campgrounds but these folk might not realize that they can stay in a hammock all night, get a good nights rest and still not get eaten alive.

Get a 100 copies of dejoha's The Ultimate Hang and drop them from a low flying plane onto George St. at 2 A.M. Kinda like WKRP and the turkey give away, just less messy. You could follow up by selling them on the street and when the guy (or gal) wonders what the heck they bought the night before they would have the book as a reference. Ok, maybe stick wit the first two.

Seriously though, those not familiar with the comfort and quick set up of a hammock may have either never considered or disregarded the hammock as being uncomfortable or to 'fiddly'. I had never considered a hammock until I stumbled across Shug's videos while reviewing camp stoves. What intrigued me was the set up time and the comfort. I always woke up sore (bad back) and usually with a headache from being on the damp uncomfortable ground. Those videos and this forum convinced me to purchase my first hammock. I remember seeing a hammock set up at a provincial campground and thinking it looked cool, but uncomfortable and cramped and that it would kill my back,not having any support. I never did actually see the person that had the rig, otherwise I might have come around sooner.

So go forth and be a fisher of hammockers! Tell them of the peace and rest of a comfortable nights sleep and the glory of watching the dawn of a new day from the safe cocoon of a hallowed hammock, free and unfettered by the walls and poles of the misbegotten tent. Pull them up from their soggy ground dwelling ways and have them join us in the warm sunshine amongst the trees and the fresh, free air in the warm and tender embrace of nylon and overstuffed down.

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Quote Originally Posted by easyriver View Post
    Still lonely over there I see Bluefin. That is terrible. I just found out that I MAY be coming over next summer with a Photo Club I belong to. Destination Gros Morne. Where you located?
    Hey easyriver,

I'm in Mount Pearl, just outside St. John's on the opposite end of the island. Gros Morne is a beautiful place. Bring lots of memory cards an batteries for the camera. I think I will have to go to Nova Scotia for one of the group hangs there.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhran4me View Post
    If ya don't have any Hangin' Buddies ya might jus hafta make yer own. I'm not talking like Frankenstein, rather bringing some tenters 'into the light'.

Have a few friends try out your rig or see what Hennessy has left from their 'scratch, dent and demo sale' and get a spare rig for a 'homeless' buddy.

Also setting up at a campground is a great way to introduce folk to the Hangin' Lifestyle. The people there are already 'outdoorsy' folk and likely to be intrigued. Let them try 'er out, tell them about the forums here and let nature take it's course. I have been seing more of the string hammocks at the campgrounds but these folk might not realize that they can stay in a hammock all night, get a good nights rest and still not get eaten alive.

Get a 100 copies of dejoha's The Ultimate Hang and drop them from a low flying plane onto George St. at 2 A.M. Kinda like WKRP and the turkey give away, just less messy. You could follow up by selling them on the street and when the guy (or gal) wonders what the heck they bought the night before they would have the book as a reference. Ok, maybe stick wit the first two.

Seriously though, those not familiar with the comfort and quick set up of a hammock may have either never considered or disregarded the hammock as being uncomfortable or to 'fiddly'. I had never considered a hammock until I stumbled across Shug's videos while reviewing camp stoves. What intrigued me was the set up time and the comfort. I always woke up sore (bad back) and usually with a headache from being on the damp uncomfortable ground. Those videos and this forum convinced me to purchase my first hammock. I remember seeing a hammock set up at a provincial campground and thinking it looked cool, but uncomfortable and cramped and that it would kill my back,not having any support. I never did actually see the person that had the rig, otherwise I might have come around sooner.

So go forth and be a fisher of hammockers! Tell them of the peace and rest of a comfortable nights sleep and the glory of watching the dawn of a new day from the safe cocoon of a hallowed hammock, free and unfettered by the walls and poles of the misbegotten tent. Pull them up from their soggy ground dwelling ways and have them join us in the warm sunshine amongst the trees and the fresh, free air in the warm and tender embrace of nylon and overstuffed down.
    Hey Bodhran4me,

All good ideas there. The first two ideas are really good. The book drop at 2 A.M. on George Street, probably not so good...most would be too full to even notice. Most of my buddies have 35 ft travel trailers and 3000 watt generators for weekend "camping" It is hard to convert them.

I'm sure I can get someone to try a hang. In the meantime I will watch others at the group hangs via video posts here on HF.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Local Backpacking groups?

Hey BlueFin

Perhaps you need to think about this in a different light. If you find a group of people that are backpack/hiking campers, first, it might be an easier time to show them the ways of the hammock. I know meetup.com and facebook are good places to find local groups of people.

If your buddies are hauling RV's and have generators and call that camping, HYOH and all, but they may be beyond help in terms of them trying out hammock camping.

Have fun. Can't you convince any of your family (wife/kids/relatives) to join you on a backpacking trip?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs

And then there were two

Hey gang,

Apparently I'm not the "Lone Newfoundland Hammock Hanger" anymore.

There is another here on the Forum living in Newfoundland. There is a chance of having a Newfoundland hang.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345