HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images

Skeeter Beeter vs. Skeeter Beeter Pro

G'day all.

I am looking at the GT Skeeter Beeter and GSSB Pro. I am 200# and 6'1". I am wondering if anyone can suggest which may better fit my size. Is the extra 150# buffer worth it? Will the 6" difference in length and width make me more comfortable.

I guess I alone can determine if the extra 8 oz is worth the extra money/comfort/security. But I can ask you for your opinions.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Suspension
    Biners & Webbing
    I'm 6'7" and 215lbs (was 252) with the SBPro. It's a bit on the wide side in my opinion. You're far enough away from the upper weight limit of the SB, I'd go with the weight and cost savings.

Hammock
    ENO DN w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    MacCat D/Warbonnet
    Insulation
    JRB HR&ORM U/TQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopie AiO/DR+TH
    Images
    I'm a noob myself. But based upon my reading here and in "Hammock Camping" by Ed Speer...here's what I have come up with:

[QUOTE=Buffalo Skipper;319768]...I am looking at the GT Skeeter Beeter and GSSB Pro. I am 200# and 6'1". I am wondering if anyone can suggest which may better fit my size. Is the extra 150# buffer worth it? /QUOTE]

The static force applied to the supports, the suspension, and the hammock material itself goes up (multiplier) based upon the angle of the suspension relative to the supports. True weight is more dynamic based upon a number of factors so, if I understand it correctly, then yes, the buffer is worth it. Here's the link to the thread/chart: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...l_original.jpg Here is another great chart. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...2&postcount=18

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    ...Will the 6" difference in length and width make me more comfortable. I guess I alone can determine if the extra 8 oz is worth the extra money/comfort/security. But I can ask you for your opinions.
    I assume the weight rating is tied to the length...so yes, the 6" would be part and parcel to your weight choice. I'm 5'4" and have an ENO Double Nest that is 9'10". Once I add my peak bag, hang my water bottle on my SRL, and get stuff up and outta my way, I find that it's just the right length. I do have extra room at the foot end, but I imagine another peak bag will soon claim that space. Since you are so tall, I'd imagine the extra length couldn't hurt. Additionally, the wider the hammock the more material for you to get a flat (diagonal) lay. BTW, Amazon has the pro for $59.99 which is the same price for the regular. Campmor has them for like another $20...well worth it to me for comfort and peace of mind. So, if I was 6'1", I would definitely go bigger. Just by noob .02 worth, based upon my own limited (severely) experience and what I've read here. In the end, I don’t really know crap. ;-)

Cheers,
    Kyle
    Last edited by Mickey.223; 09-15-2010 at 14:50.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I'm 6'0 and 200#. I own both. In my experience, the Skeeter Beeter is a bit short for me and is also narrower than the Skeeter Beeter Pro. I just used both again in the past week and noted how much more space was in the Skeeter Beeter Pro. YMMV.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Thanks all. Looks like I am headed toward the Pro. It still weighs in under 2 lbs, so I guess I cannot complain too much.

wisenber, what suspension and tarp do you use?
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Skipper View Post
    Thanks all. Looks like I am headed toward the Pro. It still weighs in under 2 lbs, so I guess I cannot complain too much.

wisenber, what suspension and tarp do you use?
    I've got all sorts of both. I use my DIY hammock mostly, so the Skeeter Beeters are not my main ones.
    As far as a suspension goes, JacksRBetter sells a strap/triglide package that works well with the s-hooks. It will also work if you change over to a biner on the end.

As far as tarps go. I started off with a Kelty Noah 9 as it is large and relatively inexpensive. It's easy to set up as a diamond needing only a guyline and two stakes. It is heavy (27 ounces) being made of PU coated poly, but that also makes it tougher.

Since then, I've added BackwoodsDayDreamers, Gargoyles, and JRB to my collection. So it really depends on my mood and what the weather looks like before I go out.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I'm 5' 7" & the SB (regular) is about as short as I would want a hammock. For ME the longer SB pro is (length wise) more comfortable. I prefer a narrower hammock, but that is ME. Both hammocks are well made, My SB is over 5 years old & has survived my 200 lbs for at least 200 nights a year since I bought it.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I'm 5' 7" & the SB (regular) is about as short as I would want a hammock. For ME the longer SB pro is (length wise) more comfortable. I prefer a narrower hammock, but that is ME. Both hammocks are well made, My SB is over 5 years old & has survived my 200 lbs for at least 200 nights a year since I bought it.
    It had probably been two years since the last time I used my Skeeter Beeter UL. I tried it earlier this week on a whim. While I "fit" in it fine. I did marvel at how short it is compared to my other hammocks. I don't think I could have gotten sufficiently diagonal if I needed to. Still, it was my first hammock, so it ain't going anywhere.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    Does the SB Pro have tie-outs? This is a narrower hammock than some, and I have heard a few people say it can be "tippy."

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    The SBPro is my hammock of choice. I have never had a problem with it being tippy. I have never had an uncomfortable night sleep in mine.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast